• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

richardmlea

richardmlea

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Technology, science, movies, motorcycles, classic volkswagons, paintball, skiing to name a few of my interests.
  • Devices:P10AN01, TF201, HTC Sensation
  • Twitter:@richard lea

just a question about the touchscreen issues discussed here. Does the issue mostly occur after flashing a new Rom or is it something inherint within certain tabs with the .99 version fw?

Is there any particular Rom that seems to cause this, ie, does a rom actually change the screen fw version i have...I am running vegaics atm with no issues but would like to try Vcream2.1 but am slightly apprehensive in case I mess up the touch controller

So maybe the only pre warning we have is to check our FW version before flashing and as saying goes if it ain't broke...

is there a way to check what version I have from within vegaics, or must I go back to a stock rom?
when I look in >settings > about tablet there is nothing Listed reguarding the firmware

sorry for all the questions but thanx in advance to anyone who can help

The 99.4.8.0 firmware code only shows after the touchscreen controller fails. Before the failure the touchscreen will show normal firmware (1.7.20.21 or similar).
The Rom flashing or a particular Rom cant be blamed for this problem. It is caused by an underlying issue with some touchscreens. I believe the touchscreen controller is being cooked by the charging and discharging of the battery and the extra heat caused by custom Roms. They can fail during normal use or after flashing a Rom, It's possible that android's first first boot is sending a Mass calibration or reset command to the touchscreen controller that is prompting the failure but that wont cause a failure unless there is an underlying problem. If a controller fails after flashing a rom then it probably would have failed after flashing any rom or during normal use sooner rather than later.

Edited by richardmlea, 04 June 2012 - 08:52 PM.

Richard Lea
[email protected]
Replacement Tablet Screens UK
I offer a friendly, UK Advent Vega repair service for hardware problems. Just PM or email me your requirements.
Replacement Touchscreens, LCD's and repair service for most Tablets.

con500

con500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
than Richard's makes sense. However from my reading both here and over at tabletroms, the majority of TS failures seems to occur during the flashing procedure (or directly after). Can only lead me to believe some screens (batch) are prone to failure or excessive flashing and perhaps not following the correct step by step instruction and failing to perform cwm wipes between installs may also be at fault

as you say Richard heat is an issue, and for me some roms run hotter than others eg, vegaics seems to run hotter ( for me) and the back side of the Vega does become warmer than say if I'm using the vegacomb rom.
Iv also noticed a significant drop in battery life but not sure if this is simply a side effect of ICS or perhaps an overclocking issue....incidently I'm not sure if my current rom is overclocked or not but in the past I have found that overclocking be it phone or laptop etc has caused more hassle for me than is worth in the long run....I recently had to perform a complete wipe of my laptop HD after attempting a slight overclock with no backup ;(

Maybe best to just find a rom we can be happy with and stick to it lol....Don't get me wrong the work the devs are doing here is just amazing and the fact we have the option to even have Ics on the Vega is purely down to the genius's on here so I have to say a massive thanx to them for their work...And I for one find it hard to resist trying em all.

now am rambling
cheers

Edited by con500, 04 June 2012 - 02:42 PM.

mcfly666

mcfly666

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Devices:zte blade
Does not work for me, cant get into using host mode with vegacomb but tried using corvus5. The mouse only works on half of the screen in corvus, but i managed to to screen calibration.

After calibration the screen is still not working, i think its a brick. Any ideas?

MikhailM

MikhailM

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega, POV Mobii

Does not work for me, cant get into using host mode with vegacomb but tried using corvus5. The mouse only works on half of the screen in corvus, but i managed to to screen calibration.

After calibration the screen is still not working, i think its a brick. Any ideas?

Not sure which rom or calibration tool you used. Try downloading the Viewpad official updated rom from their site. It includes a touchscreen firmware update tool, which attempts to update your firmware as the rom boots. If it that does not work, it also includes a firmware version chack tool and calibration tool. It automatically boots into host mode.

Jisu

Jisu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:HTC DHD + Advent Vega

hi mikhail, sorry for not replying to your pm before now, I have been away for the last week.
have you managed to get a firmware version from you touchscreen and the tputility?
the tputility.apk wont do anything if the firmware on the touchscreen controller is corrupt.
If the firmware is showing as 99.4.8.0 then the firmware is corrupt and the controller is probably done for.
I only know 2 ways to get new firmware onto the the touchscreens but both ways fail if you have 99.4.8.0 showing in the tputility.
The first way teo update the firmware is with the tputility and the firmware and config files. I have these files (extracted for a viewsonic rom). To use the firmware put the fw and config files in the root of a formated sd card on put it in the vega. then use the tputility apk and select fw upgrade to execute the update. If it works it take about 2 minutes to complete. the charger needs to be plugged in for the update to work. dont touch the screen or be temped to reset it because you think its crashed.
The other way is to install viewsonic's stock rom (version 1.09) and go through the setup and then install the viewsonic rom, version 1.11 this has a touchscreen update at first boot that will update the touchscreen if needed. if it fails to work you will see te message tp upgrade for a split second just before selecting the language, blink and you will miss it. If the upgrade works you will see the tp upgrade message of about 2 minutes.
make sure the battery is charged and plugged in or the update will fail. And dont touch the screen during the update, infact if it looks like its working dont touch anything and try to hold your breath.
I honestly dont think this will help if you have 99. firmware showing. I have tried these methods over and over on several screen that show this firmware and it failed on them all.
Infact I have seen the tp firmware upgrade fail a couple of times (on screens that where temperemental before attempting the update) so its not a good idea to try the tp upgrade unless you have no option. That is why i havent posted the firmware and config fies I have publicly and have only given it to people who have asked for it as a last resort. It could potentially cause havok in the wild and break more screens than it would fix.
That said if anyone wants the firmware files just ask.

Hello, first post I think. Sorry but my English is poor.

I was flashing VegaCream Beta3 (coming from VegaCream Beta2.1)
And the touchscreen stopped to work. I tried a lot of ROMs and TS doesn't work.

Installing ROM from POV I could run TPutility and shows FW 98.4.8.0.

I tried the method of this guide, but I'm not able to make work USB mouse on VegaComb.

Anyway if I understand your post there is no way to solve the issue with FW 98... showing, that's right?

Can you send me the FW files to try to fix it with TPutility fw upgrade?

Thank you!

Jisu

Jisu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:HTC DHD + Advent Vega

Hello, first post I think. Sorry but my English is poor.

I was flashing VegaCream Beta3 (coming from VegaCream Beta2.1)
And the touchscreen stopped to work. I tried a lot of ROMs and TS doesn't work.

Installing ROM from POV I could run TPutility and shows FW 98.4.8.0.

I tried the method of this guide, but I'm not able to make work USB mouse on VegaComb.

Anyway if I understand your post there is no way to solve the issue with FW 98... showing, that's right?

Can you send me the FW files to try to fix it with TPutility fw upgrade?

Thank you!

REPAIRED WITH THIS METHOD:

http://www.modaco.co...view-mobii-ect/

Thanks richardmlea :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users