Alternatives To ZTE Skate / Orange Monte Carlo

Guest XiaoKai

Guest XiaoKai

There are many defenders of ZTE Skate / Orange Monte Carlo<br/>And a few but loudly spoken people who say its not worth the price as the processer is almsot the same as the Blade<br/><br/>I ask what could the alternative to the skate be around the £200 mark which can beat the Skate in perfornace <b>OR</b> size.

Edited by flibblesan

Guest NeostarNeko

Actually one of the best alternative is the Huawei U8800, it's under £190 and supports the full Adobe flash experience.

Guest Atomix86

As Roph said, a pre-owned Galaxy S would be the perfect option (or maybe even something like the Motorola Defy if you want to save a few more quid). If however you want to go brand new, you'll have to go lower spec and get something like the Huawei U8800 IDEOS X5 (smaller screen but generally better spec than the Skate).

Guest Schejtan
As Roph said, a pre-owned Galaxy S would be the perfect option (or maybe even something like the Motorola Defy if you want to save a few more quid). If however you want to go brand new, you'll have to go lower spec and get something like the Huawei U8800 IDEOS X5 (smaller screen but generally better spec than the Skate).

i think it depends on the price of the skate. the ideos is around 200€. if the skate comes for 99 pounds the decision should be clear :blink:

Guest Atomix86
i think it depends on the price of the skate. the ideos is around 200€. if the skate comes for 99 pounds the decision should be clear :blink:

Absolutely. For £99 it would sell like hot cakes. Problem is, it isn't going to be that price (websites currently selling pre-orders have it for £229).

Guest gitf@ce

TBH if the Skate is anymore than 150 quid I will stick with my SF, don't see any point buying the U8800... it's the bigger screen size of the Skate that would entice me to upgrade.

Edited by gitf@ce

Guest Schejtan

the u8800 has better specs. the only con is the missing fm radio. thats why i did not order yet. i would like to use fm radio on the train. so i hope the skate will be at a reasonable price

Guest Cirno

I am not gonna say anything more or less than this.

If you wish to upgrade I recommend you get Huawei U8800, with the same CPU as Desire Z and GPU as Desire HD. You will have a great deal for the buck !

I can say this if Huawei decides to lower the price as soon the U9000(Huawei U9000 Nero X6) is released to the market, it's expected to pop up in the shelves at mid and end of august.

Myself owning a U8800, I am pleased and I am sure most U8800 users are too !

Guest chemicalbuz

I am not gonna say anything more or less than this.

If you wish to upgrade I recommend you get Huawei U8800, with the same CPU as Desire Z and GPU as Desire HD. You will have a great deal for the buck !

I can say this if Huawei decides to lower the price as soon the U9000(Huawei U9000 Nero X6) is released to the market, it's expected to pop up in the shelves at mid and end of august.

Myself owning a U8800, I am pleased and I am sure most U8800 users are too !

Hi Cirno! i think same as you, i'm waiting to see skate final price and specs to decide about buying it or X5...i just want to ask you some about x5 cause you own it: how is official and unofficial support? cynogen,xda etc...and do you know where i can eventually buy it online with good price? cause in italy it isn't released yet and on ebay it cost to much...Thanx in advance :)

last thing: i think is better wait for huawei m886 instead of x6 cause it probably will be much better and with not much overprice ;)

Guest The Soup Thief

I was thinking of chopping my blade in and getting a U8800 or similar, but have reconsidered over the last little while - i've found that there are so few gains (obviously there are some, such as better screen acreage and marginally quicker processors) on the current batch of "premium budget" androids that I probably wouldn't appreciate the difference. I've owned the little blighter less than 10 months too, which would be a pretty quick phone turn-around for me, so I'm gonna hang back for another while and see what materialises. I've even started wondering about the promised batch of budget WP7 devices -shock-

Just my 2p

Incidentally, while I continue to wander off-topic, I've been reading up on the Amazon tablet rumours - now that does sound interesting...

Guest iKrautDroid

Don't get my started on those Amazon tablets! My dad is a kindle freak and all he does is rant about those tablets! Argh

Guest The Soup Thief

Having earlier expressed disinterest in the skate, I see now that it has a 1ghz processor

Overclock anyone? Might be worth a punt, if it aint too pricey...

Lordy, I'm fickle

Absolutely. For £99 it would sell like hot cakes. Problem is, it isn't going to be that price (websites currently selling pre-orders have it for £229).

But that's carrier unlocked - the current betting is that orange are going to offer it subsidized on PAYG for @£150.

Guest XiaoKai

I think the Skate is comming out in Q4 and not this summer due to what is being said after the press meeting few days ago by ZTE

What phone is better Samsung Galaxy Ace or ZTE Skate and why?

Guest Atomix86

I think the Skate is comming out in Q4 and not this summer due to what is being said after the press meeting few days ago by ZTE

Well that depends. Both have the same speed processor, amount of RAM & GPU, however the Skate has a much larger screen and higher resolution. The Ace obviously has the advantage of being fully supported and a very good brand name, and is out right now (and can be had for as little as £149 new), I have personally used one (my girlfriend owns it) and although I like the device, the low DPI is really obvious (its exactly the same as the original iphone rubbish). As I said both phones are similar spec (and thus, neither have flash), what it boils down to really IMO is which screen size you prefer (3.5" 320x480 for the Ace, 4.3" 480x800 for the Skate).

If you need any more info on the Ace, let me know.

Guest Simon O

The ZTE Skate is coming out Q4 in the UK as Orange have exclusivity for 3/4 months. The Orange branded version will be available in August.

Guest Jekle

I have Galaxy Ace of my own Factory Unlocked. There is a Gingerbread Update out for it 2.3.4, At first when I started using it I thought the Screen was HVGA without even knowing it don't get me wrong the screen is Great. But I have loads of crashing problems with my Ace. You will be better off buying the Monte Carlo subsidised by Orange and someone with make a Phone.apk hack or if ZTE "Accidently" Leak the Algorithm for the Unlock I feel it will be more successful than the Blade.

Guest XiaoKai

@Jekle thanks

i guess i will wait

im a little bit inpaicent because my racer is getting extremly slow espicaly with the new skype

Guest NeostarNeko

Just get a Huawei U8800, it will last a while and gingerbread is coming in October for it. And besides the ZTE Skate sim free might go down to a better price by Christmas.

Guest Banner

Just get a Huawei U8800, it will last a while and gingerbread is coming in October for it. And besides the ZTE Skate sim free might go down to a better price by Christmas.

Except that you cant get u8800's for love nor money at the minute.

Guest NeostarNeko

Except that you cant get u8800's for love nor money at the minute.

yea if your in the UK at the moment they are ...erm hard to find, but in other parts of the world like Malaysia and Australia they are quite easy to get hold of ;)

The Huawei 8800/Ideos X5 is overrated imo, you can get better phones for the price they seem to go for.

Please tell me what you can get for £190 or less that has better specifications <_<

Guest samson41

Blade owner myself, love it to pieces. The skate is an interesting option w/ upgrades in terms of screen size and also performance if the 1gb processor pans out. That said, I've watched some of the review videos out there and was instantly put off by the cheapy plastic-y build. An important facet to my blade love affair is the fact that in terms of tactility it just doesn't feel like a budget android. I wonder if the skate just looks worse in the videos than it is, but I have my doubts that Its smooth casing will match the blades spongy rubbery coating on the front and back. For me, It detracts for the appeal of the hardware improvements if I feel like i'm using a plastic from china-vasion with nasty clunky buttons. I know sacrifices have to be made in order to deliver at a budget price, but even that isn't certain 'cause we've had mixed reports on the final cost (of the orange branded units anyways). Maybe I've just been spoiled by the all round quality that the blade offered when released for such a reasonable price. It certainly made me pay attention to ZTE's next release and develop a bit of brand loyalty, but I think it may just be that loyalty which is jogging my interest. I really don't think that the skate is going to hit all the marks that the blade did and it just wont be as good of a deal imo, weather it's actually worth the punt is debatable.