Alternatives To ZTE Skate / Orange Monte Carlo

Guest XiaoKai

Guest lordjubblydave

I bought a liquid metal, the Monte Carlo is for sale.

Nothing to do with roms, I just need a phone that is unlocked, that can actually be used.

Plus the Metal can O/C to 1.5ghz of AWESOMENESS

Guest lordjubblydave

wouldn't amagen the battery would last very long overclocked a 1.5Ghz if its stock is 800mhz lol probz half your battery life.

LOL, Yeah i guess not, i could always use an extra long extension cable laugh.gif

Apparently the chip is clocked at 800mhz but where it is a newer generation it performs better than the old 1ghz snapdragons, so i should not even need to O/C anyway.

It is a shame though i wanted the OMC since i saw it first in FEB, unfortunately for me i have no use for a 4.3" tablet which is what it turned into due to the unlocking thing :(

So by the end of the month ill be rocking my Acer MT and a AndyPad pro biggrin.gif

Guest tilal6991

LOL, Yeah i guess not, i could always use an extra long extension cable laugh.gif

Apparently the chip is clocked at 800mhz but where it is a newer generation it performs better than the old 1ghz snapdragons, so i should not even need to O/C anyway.

It is a shame though i wanted the OMC since i saw it first in FEB, unfortunately for me i have no use for a 4.3" tablet which is what it turned into due to the unlocking thing :(

So by the end of the month ill be rocking my Acer MT and a AndyPad pro biggrin.gif

It'll be pretty funny if someone comes up with an unlock mechanism as soon as you sell your OMC :P

Guest lordjubblydave

It'll be pretty funny if someone comes up with an unlock mechanism as soon as you sell your OMC :P

Knowing my luck it WILL happen.

which would be good news for you guys i guess, i may be back after the 1ghz comes out and has CM7 for it etc

liquid metal looks absolutely ace for the price (£138.99 delivered!). i'm gonna sell my mint condition OLED blade (going for between 100-140 on the bay atm) and get one asap :)

Guest dadashi

I don't know about you guys but my next phone has to be minimum 4 inch....I wouldn't buy the acer, it's only 3.6 inch, approx same as the blade and it's not supported by cyanogen CM7 either...

How would you root it and where would you get new roms...?

Edited by dadashi

I don't know about you guys but my next phone has to be minimum 4 inch....I wouldn't buy the acer, it's only 3.6 inch, approx same as the blade and it's not supported by cyanogen CM7 either...

How would you root it and where would you get new roms...?

yep, i wouldnt go lower than 4.3 after having the OMC. think its the perfect size smile.gif

the bigger screen is literally the only thing the Skate has going for it...on the downside it has the much inferior and older v6 processor. the acer even does 720p video recording. i guess it depends on what feature set is appealing, but i'd go with the liquid metal at that price point. build quality is also likely to be far superior to ZTE. check out some videos of it to see how premium the casing looks - glossy, curved and metallic sections. even custom battery/message notification LEDs on the bottom. UI and manufacturer custom UI are also super smooth - thank the capable CPU here methinks. completely unbranded and unlocked too :)

it seems to have reasonable support looking at the forum on here. leaked gingerbread builds and a pending official update (2.3.5 or later) in the near future.

currently the #1 seller on the entire of expansys @ £138.99 delivered...bargain if you ask me and people know it.

Edited by Hanks6

Guest tilal6991

the bigger screen is literally the only thing the Skate has going for it...on the downside it has the much inferior and older v6 processor. the acer even does 720p video recording. i guess it depends on what feature set is appealing, but i'd go with the liquid metal at that price point. build quality is also likely to be far superior to ZTE. check out some videos of it to see how premium the casing looks - glossy, curved and metallic sections. even custom battery/message notification LEDs on the bottom. UI and manufacturer custom UI are also super smooth - thank the capable CPU here methinks. completely unbranded and unlocked too :)

it seems to have reasonable support looking at the forum on here. leaked gingerbread builds and a pending official update (2.3.5 or later) in the near future.

currently the #1 seller on the entire of expansys @ £138.99 delivered...bargain if you ask me and people know it.

If you check some reviews, the reviewers don't really seem to like the build quality of the Metal.

They also said they don't liked the curved screen/back as well as the camera.

I agree the processor is superior to the skate but the battery life and the screen seem to be just about OK. Also the Modding you can do with it and the limited number of rom's you can put on it.

So for me they seem to be evenly matched :)

i wouldn't put it in the same category as the blade...blade has a sluggish CPU compared to any reasonable handset these days. OMC is the best comparison, just depends if you want the larger screen. annoying thing is i'd probably go for the OMC below 150 (when unlockable) but only if it had a better v7 processor. that's kinda the swing factor given the liquid metal also does 720p video recording which is a useful feature for me.

the custom roms are great at times but if you have an official 2.2/2.3 that is super smooth you can save the hassle. i see changing roms to gain improved performance and whatnot as more of a chore than positive. did i mention the liquid metal is fully unbranded and unlocked...

:D

think i'm gonna get one.

Edited by Hanks6

Guest lordjubblydave

Let us know what you make of the Liquid Metal - it seems an utter steal - am a bit tempted...

I have only had it for a few hours but so far it pwns the Skate and San Fran, performance is on part with my old sgs i9000.

Everything is super smooth, screen is very good, almost as good as my amoled san fran, not even bothered rooting it yet.

I'm having fun just on Stock 2.2

Guest dadashi

I have only had it for a few hours but so far it pwns the Skate and San Fran, performance is on part with my old sgs i9000.

Everything is super smooth, screen is very good, almost as good as my amoled san fran, not even bothered rooting it yet.

... it's the better 3.6" smartphone but it's not an alternative to a 4.3" Skate...I suppose the real alternative would be a smartphone in the 4"inch and above categorie, and they start at above £220 for Android Smartphones....

My eyes are a little strained reading from smaller 3.5" screens and an 4.3" is a real boost

Samsung 4" inch Windows7 Omnias are going for around £220 new but they don't have android os's....

Interesting is the HTC HD2 4.3" windows6.5 phone which has a big Android rom moding community, they sell for around £200 used on ebay....

As I dont know when an unlock is coming for OMC Im considering selling it and getting something the same size and approximate price...that only leaves me one option the HTC HD2 Leo used or from ebay...

Ive tried to find information here at modaco about Leo running Android but I cant find it...if anybody knows which section of the forum its hiding at tell me...

Id like to know if HD2 Leo works perfectly 100% in Android, i.e. all the sensors, GPS, WiFi, Camera, front Camera, Buttons, Screen, memory, battery life, etc...

There is a 2nd hand shop nearby with a nicely kept Leo selling at 160 pounds, so it would be a straight swap from OMC to HTC Leo...

Edited by dadashi

As I dont know when an unlock is coming for OMC Im considering selling it and getting something the same size and approximate price...that only leaves me one option the HTC HD2 Leo used or from ebay...

Ive tried to find information here at modaco about Leo running Android but I cant find it...if anybody knows which section of the forum its hiding at tell me...

Id like to know if HD2 Leo works perfectly 100% in Android, i.e. all the sensors, GPS, WiFi, Camera, front Camera, Buttons, Screen, memory, battery life, etc...

There is a 2nd hand shop nearby with a nicely kept Leo selling at 160 pounds, so it would be a straight swap from OMC to HTC Leo...

The Leo has crap battery life and washed out screen colours. Not a match for the Skate in my opinion.

Guest wesleyjah

If you look outside Modaco you can find info about how to run android on the hd2 handset.

Link: http://www.htchd2forum.com/android-on-the-hd2/

hello

since there is no ulock for skate I'm searching for alternatives, what do you suggest, important is that shop sells phones to EU (not only in UK) .

I'm from east europe.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

I've ruled out HTC HD2 as an alternative. It's simply too old, even though it's a great phone.

The OMC is better with native Android Gingerbread and has everything to offer, 5MP camera with led flash, enough memory and specially the 4.3" inch screen....The next cheapest 4.3" Android smartphone starts at around £300...

and it supports flash

Edited by dadashi

good stuff. this is up for pre-order for the next batch of stock at expansys @ £139.99, silver or brown version. i think ZTE have kind of missed some key features with the Skate, namely a better CPU, for it to attact anywhere near as much attention as the Blade in the 'budget' arena. right now the Acer Liquid Metal is easily the best value sub 150 android phone. they sold like crazy before, unbranded, unlocked. all good!

Edited by Hanks6