Alternatives To ZTE Skate / Orange Monte Carlo

Guest XiaoKai

Guest lordjubblydave

@hanks6., go for it, you shouldn't regret it.

I'm still really impressed by it, I also still have not felt the need to Overclock it yet either.

It runs all games Very smoothly, including. Cordy and Stupid Zombies.

Even the camera is ok with some cool features like face recognition.

there is one important difference in specs, acer liquid metal has 3,6" display and skate has 4,3"

this is 0,7" = 1,8 cm - it's quite big difference

acer is fine phone, I'm also considering to buy it, but would prefere zte skate - bigger display

we need unlock :D

i think it's fair to say there really isn't an alternative to the Skate for a 'big screen' budget Android handset. users who can't live without the larger screen haven't got much choice sub 200, but that's literally the selling point over the Liquid Metal. after owning a Blade i'm biased toward something with the best possible CPU. I would have got a Skate had it been unlockable and with a more capable CPU...then you'd have a serious handset at the 150 region. as it is it's kinda a flop, there just isn't much of a value factor besides the screen. i'd be surprised if it does hardly any sales compared to the Blade, in its current form.

Guest john.smith

I have to come clean in this Skate forum... I am using HD2 on the daily basis even though there are bilions of Huawei and ZTE machines around me.

For my Galaxy S II, it has been surrendered to my wife and I admit that it's a great phone and the camera is decent. Only price would be a concern.

I've made a short video for comparison of HD2, X5, Skate

:o

So you made the youtube video above!

Then you recommend the HTC HD2, best bang for the buck...:D

What puts me a off the HTC HD2 is mainly the poor camera! I think maybe the OMC camera is more usaeable than the HTC HD2 camera...

If Im going to upgrade again Id like something with an inbuilt camera akin to my old nokia N95...

My Skate certainly plays Angry Birds a lot better than that :o No choppiness at all, very smooth in fact (as good as my Dell Streak). I am running standard rom with Orange bloat removed.

i think it's fair to say there really isn't an alternative to the Skate for a 'big screen' budget Android handset. users who can't live without the larger screen haven't got much choice sub 200, but that's literally the selling point over the Liquid Metal. after owning a Blade i'm biased toward something with the best possible CPU. I would have got a Skate had it been unlockable and with a more capable CPU...then you'd have a serious handset at the 150 region. as it is it's kinda a flop, there just isn't much of a value factor besides the screen. i'd be surprised if it does hardly any sales compared to the Blade, in its current form.

Isn't the Skate CPU faster than the Blade, even with an overclocked Blade CPU...it still doesn't work upto the stable speed compared to the Skate or am I missing something? :)

Isn't the Skate CPU faster than the Blade, even with an overclocked Blade CPU...it still doesn't work upto the stable speed compared to the Skate or am I missing something? :)

the Skate CPU is faster than the Blade, but it's still a lot slower than the 800mhz 'Scorpion' used in Liquid Metal or Huawei U8800.

it's also worth bearing in mind is that all the online reviews of the Acer Liquid Metal are judging it as a £300 handset and even then is claimed to be reasonably good value. from this perspective it's much easier to pick faults/negatives, given the competition of other higher end devices. @ £140 it is easily the best Android handset at this price range.

Edited by Hanks6

Guest putbinoot

Who are these people that try to compare the MC with this and that, say things like you can get a second hand this from here and there or it's not as fast as this one. If you are going to compare a phone it needs to be new with a year guarantee, have a 4.3inch screen, an 800mhz cpu and cost no more that £130. If it does not meet any of these then you are not comparing. If you don't like it don't buy it simples.

Guest tilal6991

Who are these people that try to compare the MC with this and that, say things like you can get a second hand this from here and there or it's not as fast as this one. If you are going to compare a phone it needs to be new with a year guarantee, have a 4.3inch screen, an 800mhz cpu and cost no more that £130. If it does not meet any of these then you are not comparing. If you don't like it don't buy it simples.

I agree completley with this.

the two repeated competitors that seem to be coming up is the metal and the hd2.

both have a better processor. but a processor doesn't make a phone. beyond a certain point it becomes difficult to see whether the processor makes a difference. and I feel the skate is approaching this point.

problems with the alternatives:

1. the hd2 - second hand, terrible battery life, android is not native so I doubt performance would be as good. no official cm support.

2. the metal - bad and smaller screen. bad touchscreen. flimsy design. ok battery life. relatively quiet community - no official cm even after 9 months of being on sale.

the other phone which will no doubt be mentioned is the u8800:

smaller screen. relatively quiet community (I know Jacob c is trying to port cm but I'm unsure if he's making much progress). much higher cost - £180 compared to £110.

lol, there are no other handsets with a 4.3 inch screen close to the price of the Skate brand new. pretty obvious the 'alternatives' in this price range will differ in specification and have pros/cons that appeal to different users.

I agree completley with this.

the two repeated competitors that seem to be coming up is the metal and the hd2.

both have a better processor. but a processor doesn't make a phone. beyond a certain point it becomes difficult to see whether the processor makes a difference. and I feel the skate is approaching this point.

problems with the alternatives:

1. the hd2 - second hand, terrible battery life, android is not native so I doubt performance would be as good. no official cm support.

2. the metal - bad and smaller screen. bad touchscreen. flimsy design. ok battery life. relatively quiet community - no official cm even after 9 months of being on sale.

smaller screen. relatively quiet community (I know Jacob c is trying to port cm but I'm unsure if he's making much progress). much higher cost - £180 compared to £110.

except the Monte Carlo isn't £110, it's £150 + £10 top-up, excluding any promotions for existing customers. at the time of writing there's also no unlock available.

the u880 isn't bad the screen is 3.8 inches which is a nice boost over the Blade, but obviously not the big 4.3 that people are looking for. the other handsets are valid comparisons given the fact that some users have already chosen these over the Skate. there literally isn't anything with the big screen and brand new for +/- 150.

not sure i agree with the summary of the Liquid Metal either, the earlier poster who had both thought the LM was easily a superior handset and had a very nice (albeit smaller) display. ROM wise a 2.3.5 just leaked for it too...

Edited by Hanks6

Guest putbinoot

lol, there are no other handsets with a 4.3 inch screen close to the price of the Skate brand new. pretty obvious the 'alternatives' in this price range will differ in specification and have pros/cons that appeal to different users.

Exactly so there is no comparison to make. And as for it being locked some people may like orange and for those who don't they still have a choice wait three months after purchase, buy skate or wait for unlocker to appear. I find it able to do what i need and am willing to wait for unlock.

Hi guys completely new to android have been looking at these forums for the past couple of weeks but still unsure about a few things, if anyone could help me would be awesome!!

I had the OMC for a while (a very short while) before it stopped working, and due to the shambolic customer service of Orange (and I mean it was terrible!!) I sent it back even though generally I was quite impressed with it, now im in a position where im unsure about whether to get the OMC again (120 with the discount) or go for the acer. Since it basically boils down to choosing between a big screen or a faster processor, I was wondering what the acer's processor can do that the OMC's cant? I've seen links for flash player on here, so is the only real difference that the acer's processor can play more and better games?

i know this has kinda been done to death now, but though Id ask the question anyway

cheers guys

Hi guys completely new to android have been looking at these forums for the past couple of weeks but still unsure about a few things, if anyone could help me would be awesome!!

I had the OMC for a while (a very short while) before it stopped working, and due to the shambolic customer service of Orange (and I mean it was terrible!!) I sent it back even though generally I was quite impressed with it, now im in a position where im unsure about whether to get the OMC again (120 with the discount) or go for the acer. Since it basically boils down to choosing between a big screen or a faster processor, I was wondering what the acer's processor can do that the OMC's cant? I've seen links for flash player on here, so is the only real difference that the acer's processor can play more and better games?

i know this has kinda been done to death now, but though Id ask the question anyway

cheers guys

I'd say don't even include Acer Metal into the equation...that should be in the Blade forum as an alternative...I don't know why it's brought up here...The Skate is a 4.3" the Metal 3.6"...

You should know if you want a small screen, or maybe you need glasses like me and want a decent sized screen...

HTC HD2 is very good, has lots of support, a 4.3" screen and great hardware...it has its weakness but so does the OMC...for a start its a 2009 phone....apparently the "end" key presses on the digitizer cable and breaks it over time, so buying used that might happen sooner.....You can run Android Gingerbread, Cyanogenmod and there's even Mango released for it....Its probably the most moded smartphone ever with the biggest international fan base...

OMC is a new generation smartphone, has native Android Gingerbread, a better 4.3" capacitive screen than the HD2, maybe the camera is better as well..... it's great except for the sim lock....I've ordered a sim unlock adapter and if that works with 3G then I'm satisfied, if not it's back to Blade or maybe an HD2....

Guest Pelemane

Skate has quieter community than U8800. Just take a look at XDA. There is CM7 port already for U8800(and MIUI and Oxygen etc.). Official CM is coming soon too.

Guest tilal6991

Skate has quieter community than U8800. Just take a look at XDA. There is CM7 port already for U8800(and MIUI and Oxygen etc.). Official CM is coming soon too.

There is also a better CM port for the Skate. I've spoken to the devs working on the U8800 and they are finding gooing very tough. The only thing broken on the Skate port is Bluetooth. MIUI is also coming for the Skate. There doesn't seen to be any interest in Oxygen otherwise that will be worked on as well.

what about the xperia play. that's now £199.

it is a bit heavier. but does the faster cpu + free games make that a better buy?

I'm certainly tempted. I'd be interested in others views before I commit to 199

ta

Guest Hanks6

xperia play can now be had for prices between 155-200 from numerous online stores, although none seem to have it in stock yet. that's a 4 inch screen, unlocked. far superior build quality and specs than the OMC. tempting, but it's a question of the size and battery life for me. would be cool to play some SNES games on it :D

Guest NeostarNeko

As a gamer I highly recommend the Xperia Play, it maybe slightly heavy but trust me it's the best spec'ed phone for the price out there. The sound quality alone is reason enough to get it.

Now I just need to find one in stock to grab one for myself...

Guest unrandomsam

I'd say don't even include Acer Metal into the equation...that should be in the Blade forum as an alternative...I don't know why it's brought up here...The Skate is a 4.3" the Metal 3.6"...

You should know if you want a small screen, or maybe you need glasses like me and want a decent sized screen...

HTC HD2 is very good, has lots of support, a 4.3" screen and great hardware...it has its weakness but so does the OMC...for a start its a 2009 phone....apparently the "end" key presses on the digitizer cable and breaks it over time, so buying used that might happen sooner.....You can run Android Gingerbread, Cyanogenmod and there's even Mango released for it....Its probably the most moded smartphone ever with the biggest international fan base...

OMC is a new generation smartphone, has native Android Gingerbread, a better 4.3" capacitive screen than the HD2, maybe the camera is better as well..... it's great except for the sim lock....I've ordered a sim unlock adapter and if that works with 3G then I'm satisfied, if not it's back to Blade or maybe an HD2....

new generation is totally wrong (As you say yourself armv7 is 2009 technology).

and a bigger screen at the same resolution will always look worse (and the screen is plastic).

4.3" should use qHD