[Guide] de-bricking a ZTE Blade

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Guest ZTE BLADE07

No help with the TPT method...i've installed both gen 1 and gen 2 and it's says:Update from t-flash card

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

I've tried with two diferents card....no help....any advise???

Even i am having the same problem of Unknown device for my ZTE V9C tab. It is not recognising the drivers because PID is 0000 instead of 19D2 and VID is 0000 instead of 1354. I think if anyone can manage to modify the android_winusb.inf file for recognising PID=0000 and VID=0000 then we can goto that file by manually trying to install the drivers. Right now none of the .inf files recognise 0000 so we can give it a try only if anyone can do the above changes.

Guest downtime

I bought a 2nd ZTE Blade V880+ and was rooting it just like the first one. The flash failed and all I have is a black screen. I tried Method 3 and didn't get an android or green text but rather blue stripes down the left half of the screen that fade out eventually, but the phone never restarts.

So I tried method 5 and get the download to start but it fails at about 25%. I tried on two computers and got the same results. The log is below. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Current Version(bd_sw_inner_ver_str) : Phone in Download mode

Download Version : F:\data\software\ZTE\ZTE Firmware Flasher\China Unicom v880 Firmware

Armprg path : F:\data\software\ZTE\ZTE Firmware Flasher\armprgZTE.bin

2012.2.27 19:14:26¡ª¡ªDownload armprg.bin...

2012.2.27 19:14:31¡ª¡ªskip to armprg...

2012.2.27 19:14:36¡ª¡ªenter security mode...

2012.2.27 19:14:36¡ª¡ªDownload partition.mbn...

2012.2.27 19:14:36¡ª¡ªDownload qcsblhd_cfgdataPath.mbn File...

2012.2.27 19:14:37¡ª¡ªDownload OEM bootloader...

2012.2.27 19:14:38¡ª¡ªDownload AMSS...

2012.2.27 19:15:2¡ª¡ª½ÓÊÕÖ¸Áʱ!

2012.2.27 19:15:12¡ª¡ªHSDLmainFunc ClosePacket Fail

2012.2.27 19:15:12¡ª¡ªDownload fail, please check the log file to get fail information!

Edited by downtime

Guest Smartin0

Has anyone idea how to flash the phone without using the bottom keys (Home, Menu, Back) ?I have problem with the keys, they make no response, even when they are pressed and “clicks”. I am able to boot into the CMR, but cannot confirm or leave anyitem in the menu. Volume Up/Down keys works fine. This problem raised after I installed the CMR to ROM manager and make the backup of current ROM. Repeated restart usually fixed the unresponsive keys. I tried to solve this problem through installing new ROM (Swedish Spring) through ROM manager, but the flashing was unsuccessful and phone don’t boot normally.

Now I am able only boot to CMR menu, move cursor between menu items, nothing else. I’m not sure, if this is hardware or software error.

On this pageI knew about step 5, my computer recognized the phone. Now I’m considering if I proceed with the whole procedure, or try to find another way how to fix theproblem.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Smartin0

Guest spike_1

Hi I think I have bricked my San Francisco 2 can only connect to my PC in download mode would method 5 provide a successful fix for my phone?

If this is possible which Clockworkmod should I use?

Cheers

Guest Amphoras

Hi I think I have bricked my San Francisco 2 can only connect to my PC in download mode would method 5 provide a successful fix for my phone?

If this is possible which Clockworkmod should I use?

Cheers

You will need to use San Francisco II versions of all the files. The files linked in the instructions are for the original San Francisco, and if you use them you will probably make it worse.

Guest spike_1

You will need to use San Francisco II versions of all the files. The files linked in the instructions are for the original San Francisco, and if you use them you will probably make it worse.

Thanks Amorphas for the tip you don't know how close I was to trying out this fix!!!

Being very new to all this I wasn't aware that there were different firmware flasher files for the SF2, all the posts/ blogs I have read have all linked back to the de-bricking guide on this forum.

Where can I find the files that are compatible with an SF2?

Cheers

Guest Amphoras

Thanks Amorphas for the tip you don't know how close I was to trying out this fix!!!

Being very new to all this I wasn't aware that there were different firmware flasher files for the SF2, all the posts/ blogs I have read have all linked back to the de-bricking guide on this forum.

Where can I find the files that are compatible with an SF2?

Cheers

If you use the same files used for unlocking the SF2 I think they should be the right ones.

Guest CompChamp

HI,

i think i bricked my ZTE Blade(dell XCD35) ,whenever i boot my phone it goes in cloclkwormod recovery....Guys can you help me out of this.I have read the post and ithink i can use clockwormod recovery ,but for where do i download Gen1 or Gen2 ROM...

Edited by CompChamp

Guest Amphoras

HI,

i think i bricked my ZTE Blade(dell XCD35) ,whenever i boot my phone it goes in cloclkwormod recovery....Guys can you help me out of this.I have read the post and ithink i can use clockwormod recovery ,but for where do i download Gen1 or Gen2 ROM...

You could use Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie. It works on Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Guest spike_1

Hi,

I have used method 5 to de-brick my phone & have hit a bit of a snag after installing a debranded rom (http://www.mediafire.com/?dirubq9bpobb467) & stock kernel (didn't do a restart in between). Both were installed using clockworkmod.

When the phone was restarted after install it will only boot to the green android screen image no matter what I try!! I can't get it to boot into FTM mode but it will boot into recovery clockworkmod with no trouble.

Is there anyone who can offer some advise on this one? After what I thought was a permanent brick situation it seem I'm quite close to getting the phone up & running but I now keep hitting this problem.

Cheers

Guest danmanbad

Hi,

I have used method 5 to de-brick my phone & have hit a bit of a snag after installing a debranded rom (http://www.mediafire...dirubq9bpobb467) & stock kernel (didn't do a restart in between). Both were installed using clockworkmod.

When the phone was restarted after install it will only boot to the green android screen image no matter what I try!! I can't get it to boot into FTM mode but it will boot into recovery clockworkmod with no trouble.

Is there anyone who can offer some advise on this one? After what I thought was a permanent brick situation it seem I'm quite close to getting the phone up & running but I now keep hitting this problem.

Cheers

i did something siimilar

you should have used methard 4 if you have clock work installed then you need to download the correct clockwork for you phone if its gen1 or gen 2

turn phone on boot into clockwork flash recovery reboot in to recovery again flash zip reboot let it start if that dosent work

try flashing the stock recovery is your phone gen 1 or gen 2 what phone is it ukosf dell etc.......

then put it in to ftm mode after reboot by holding down volume- when it boot in to ftm use one of the flashers in methard 4

start from there if not

i only have the methard i used. if non of the other methards work or if no one helps message me and i will tell you the methard oi used unless any body wants to know cuz it could mess your phone up but it dose work

Edited by danmanbad

Guest CompChamp

You could use Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie. It works on Gen 1 and Gen 2.

hi ,

thank you very much for your suggestion .i had downloaded the Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie-RLS9 but accidently first i downloaded Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie-RLS9-TPT and tried to install it.It said installation aborted ,and after that i i downloaded Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie-RLS9 .But now my phone does not start with ClockWorkmod Recovery ,it just shows dell logo,what should i do now..can you help me out.

Guest CompChamp

Hi,

I think i have hard bricked my ZTE Blade :( .At first was able to boot in cloclkworkmod recovery,but now it just shows the dell logo does not go any further,can anybody help me with this one.I do have Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie on my sd card.please guide me what to do ...

Guest Amphoras

hi ,

thank you very much for your suggestion .i had downloaded the Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie-RLS9 but accidently first i downloaded Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie-RLS9-TPT and tried to install it.It said installation aborted ,and after that i i downloaded Moldovan Mile High Mountain Pie-RLS9 .But now my phone does not start with ClockWorkmod Recovery ,it just shows dell logo,what should i do now..can you help me out.

I don't know why trying to install the TPT from clockwork would make clockwork stop working, it should just not install. Try getting back into clockwork again, make sure you hold down vol- when you turn the phone on. If this doesn't work, then you could try using the TPT. Follow the instructions given in the MMHMP thread on how to use it. If your phone is Gen 1 or TPT upgraded Gen 2, it should work. Give it a try and see what happens.

Guest CompChamp

How to recover a ZTE Blade/Libra/v880 after a bad flash

This guide is meant to help you to recover from a bad flash. It assumes at the very least that you cannot boot android, and can help you as long as your phone can boot into download mode. I have described many ways to unbrick in order of increasing difficulty and risk. Use only the first method that works. These instructions will wipe everything on your phone’s internal memory. Before you follow any of them, charge your battery and have a good night’s sleep. For the purposes of this guide, a Dell XCD35 is a European GSM Blade.

Special Case - corrupt NV memory

If your phone was flashed via windows and will not boot into anything except recovery mode (i.e. FTM mode or clockworkmod), even if you install a compatible ROM and boot normally, then the problem is usually corrupt NV memory. You must use method 4 to solve this problem. You can often solve it by following only the instructions to restore your IMEI (skipping the flashing part), but you may need to do the whole lot.

Method 1: Clockworkmod

Turn your phone on with volume down held. If it boots into clockwork, then you should be able to fix it from there. In clockworkmod:

1. Go to “backup and restore” and perform a backup of your current setup.
  2. Go to “mounts and storage” and select mount USB storage. Connect the phone to a computer and copy your backup from the clockworkmod directory to your computer. Download a Gen1 or Gen2 ROM and copy it to your SD card (not a stock ROM, since it will overwrite clockworkmod). If you are not sure, try installing both Gen1 and Gen2 ROMs.
  3. Go to “mounts and storage” and format boot, system, data, cache, and sd-ext.
  4. Go to “install zip from SD card” and install the ROM you have downloaded. Restart your phone when it is finished.

Method 2: Fastboot

Fastboot is a method of flashing a recovery image to your phone from a computer (which can be running Windows, Linux, or OSX). It does not work with Blades that are running stock Gen2 firmware (i.e. upgraded to stock Gen2 via windows or upgraded to android 2.2 by an official update) unless both the recovery and boot partitions are completely unbootable.

For all platforms

1. Download and extract this file, which contains both fastboot and clockworkmod for Gen1 and Gen2.
  2. Turn on your phone with volume up held and connect it to your computer. It should not progress beyond the green android. Sometimes you have to wait a few minutes for the computer to recognise it.

For Windows

1. Download and install the ZTE Handset drivers. Your phone should be listed as "Fastboot Interface" under "ADB Interfaces".
  2. Run windows-flash-gen1-recovery.bat to flash Gen1 clockworkmod, or windows-flash-gen2-recovery.bat to flash gen2 clockworkmod.
  3. After rebooting with volume down held, you should be able to flash a ROM in clockworkmod.
For Linux

1. Navigate to the extracted folder and run one of the following commands. To flash Gen1 clockworkmod:
    sudo ./fastboot-linux flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.8-blade-gen1.img
    To flash Gen2 clockworkmod:
    sudo ./fastboot-linux flash recovery recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.8-blade-gen2.img

2. After rebooting with volume down held, you should be able to flash a ROM in clockworkmod.
For Mac

I don't know the command but it is probably similar to linux. you need to run fastboot-mac instead of fastboot-linux and flash the appropriate .img file.

Method 3: TPT

TPT is a way of flashing part of the low-level firmware on your phone. After successfully flashing the files below you will regain access to clockworkmod. You need a different type of TPT depending on what variant of the Blade you have. If you have a China Unicom v880 or any other Chinese variant then you must not flash a TPT designed for European Blades, and vice versa. Be aware that flashing a modified or corrupt TPT can permanently brick your phone. Choose the appropriate file below.

Use this if your phone is a European GSM variant and if it is Gen1 or has been upgraded to Gen2 via TPT. This will flash stock Gen1 firmware.

Use this if your phone is a European GSM variant and if it was sold as Gen2 or upgraded to stock Gen2 via windows. This will flash stock Gen2 firmware.

Use this if your phone is a China Unicom v880 (unsure, but may work on Chinese u880/x880). This will flash the stock Gen2 firmware taken from the B15 android 2.2.2 update.

Flashing a TPT

1. Download the applicable TPT file from above.
  2. Unzip and put the “image” folder onto the root directory of your SD card.
  3. Disconnect and reconnect your SD card and check the integrity of the TPT files. There is a file called "image.hash" in the image folder which contains all the files' md5 hashes in plain text. Make sure that the md5 of all the files match, or you may brick your phone.
  4. Turn on your phone with the SD card inserted and with menu and volume up held.
  5. The screen will either stay black or show green text (if you see the green android immediately then it didn't work), and will restart into clockworkmod when done. Wait at least 5 minutes for it to restart if you don’t see anything.
  6. When it is finished (even if it didn't work), then remove the image directory from the SD card to prevent accidental flashing later on.

You can now flash a ROM using clockworkmod. If it doesn't work, then using a different SD card may help. If you have a European variant then it is safe to try both Gen1 and Gen2 TPTs separately in case you have made a mistake.

Method 4: Windows upgrader

This method flashes the entire low-level firmware and maintains the correct IMEI automatically. To use this method you need to be able to boot into stock recovery. This means that when you turn your phone on with volume down held, the words “FTM” must appear on the screen. If you can access clockworkmod then you don't need to use this method - see above. This method requires windows.

• For European Blades, follow this guide and flash any firmware package linked in the guide.
  • For Chinese Blades, you must follow the same guide but flash this firmware package instead.
  • If your provider/country is listed here then you can also flash your stock firmware instead, and optionally the stock ROM aswell.

Method 5: The dodgy ZTE firmware flasher
    This method can help if your blade cannot boot at all. Consider it a LAST RESORT - people do this all the time and only make their situation worse. Only use it if all the above methods fail or if your IMEI is corrupt. Your IMEI will be lost in the process and you will need to use hex editing to fix it up afterwards. This method also requires windows. Most of this is taken from burstlam’s thread here, which you can also refer to (burstlam has posted screenshots which also help to show what to do). Do the following in order:

Boot into download mode and set up connection
    1. Download and install the ZTE USB driver.
    2. Put your phone in download mode by turning it on with both volume buttons held down at the same time. The screen will remain black, but the notification LED should briefly flash red.
    3. Plug it into your computer. The phone should be recognised in windows device manager under “Ports (COM & LPT)” as “ZTE Handset Diagnostic Interface(DFU) (COMxx)”. Take note of the port number (xx). If your phone cannot turn on at all and the LED doesn’t flash, it is dead. Sorry about that.

Flash firmware

1. Download this file, which contains the ZTE flasher along with firmware to flash your phone with, and unzip it somewhere convenient.
    2. Run “Flasher.exe” from the extracted folder. Press the exclamation mark and login as administrator with the password “ZTEsmt123”.
    3. Under “SW Directory”, select the correct firmware folder inside the extracted folder (European Gen1 firmware or Chinese v880 Gen2 firmware). ONLY flash the one appropriate for your phone.
    4. Leave the default settings as they are – “download cefs” ticked, “no backup restore” selected, and “download” selected.
    5. Go to the “Option” menu and select “Port Config”. Set line 1 to the COM port that you observed in step 3, then press OK.
    6. Press the purple arrow next to line 1 and wait for your phone to be flashed. When finished it should boot into FTM mode.

Edit "channel1.nvm" to hold IMEI

1. In the flasher folder, open the file “channel1.nvm” with HxD, or a hex editor of your choice.
    2. Go to offset 0x1215. The IMEI is stored between offset 0x1215 and 0x121C. You need to read your correct IMEI from behind your battery and enter it here like this:
    3. In 0x1215 put the first digit of your IMEI followed by A. For each successive pair of digits, enter the second digit followed by the first digit. For example: and IMEI of 123456789012345 would be recorded at 0x1215 as 1A 32 54 76 98 10 32 54. When done, save this file.

Restore channel1.nvm to your phone

1. Make sure channel1.nvm is in the folder next to the flasher with the correct IMEI.
    2. Connect your phone to your computer and turn on your phone with volume down held. It should boot into FTM mode.
    3. In the flasher, select “restore NV” and “RF/BT/IMEI/unLock info”, and press the purple arrow next to line 1. Your IMEI will now be restored to your phone.

Put clockworkmod in the recovery partition

[*]Take out the battery and turn on the phone. Clockworkmod should load.[*]Clockworkmod is now installed to your phone’s boot partition. This means that if you install a ROM at this point you will overwrite clockworkmod. You must now flash the correct version of clockworkmod to the recovery partition.[*]Go to “mounts and storage”, and select mount USB storage. Connect the phone to your computer and copy the

correct version of clockworkmod as a zip file (Gen1 for European Gen1 firmware, Gen2 for Chinese firmware) to your SD card, then install it using clockworkmod.[*]Restart your phone with volume down held. It should boot into clockworkmod. If it boots into FTM mode or does not progress pass the green android, reboot normally and make sure you flashed the correct version of clockworkmod.

You can now flash a ROM (If you flashed Gen1 firmware you can also upgrade to Gen2 via TPT). When you do, check your IMEI. If it is wrong, flash stock recovery in clockworkmod, boot into FTM mode, and repeat (correctly) above from editing channel1.nvm onwards.

I wrote this because it seems that quasi bricked Blades are becoming a daily event and there is much confusion about which solutions work in which circumstances. Please post with questions or feedback; it would be nice to know if this helps someone!

hi,

i have a dell xcd35 .which TPT should i use in method 3...

Guest CompChamp

I don't know why trying to install the TPT from clockwork would make clockwork stop working, it should just not install. Try getting back into clockwork again, make sure you hold down vol- when you turn the phone on. If this doesn't work, then you could try using the TPT. Follow the instructions given in the MMHMP thread on how to use it. If your phone is Gen 1 or TPT upgraded Gen 2, it should work. Give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks man ,u r awsome...but my problem dosent seem to end ...i am able to install MMHMP but now it wont recognize my local network..

i dont know what to do now..

Guest Amphoras

Thanks man ,u r awsome...but my problem dosent seem to end ...i am able to install MMHMP but now it wont recognize my local network..

i dont know what to do now..

You might have to add or set the APN manually. Its in one of the settings menus, under wireless settings then mobile networks I think.

Guest CompChamp

You might have to add or set the APN manually. Its in one of the settings menus, under wireless settings then mobile networks I think.

the mobile network option is disabled and airplane mode always remain on(may be that is the problem).even the bluetooth option is disabled..is this problem with ROM..should i try another ROM?

Guest Amphoras

the mobile network option is disabled and airplane mode always remain on(may be that is the problem).even the bluetooth option is disabled..is this problem with ROM..should i try another ROM?

You could try going into Clockwork, wiping everything and installing again and see if that fixes it. If not, try wiping and installing another rom, Swedish Snow maybe.

Edited by Amphoras

Guest CompChamp

You could try going into Clockwork, wiping everything and installing again and see if that fixes it. If not, try wiping and installing another rom, Swedish Snow maybe.

I tried as you said but for MMHMP the same problem repeated,Then i tried Swedish Snow but that didnt help either same problem there ,i think i should flash stock rom and try,do you have any other suggestion?

Guest CompChamp

Even stock ROM didnt work ,every ROM that i flash is having the same problem.Should i do a factory reset and try ...what do you say..

Guest CompChamp

hey man ,guess wat, got the phone working...

thank you very much for your suggestions ,and MMHMP is just awsome....

you really helped me out of this..:)