20 Jan Gr6 (V20o): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the LG Optimus 2X with Online Kitchen (stock+vanilla)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest thedusK

Hello,

I can't receive MMS since I flashed V20o. With V19 it worked perfectly, but now it won't.

I just get a message with the "attachment-icon" but i can't see any attachment - it's just an empty message.

I have checked APN-settings and they're correct.

Someone else with that problem? Any idea?

Guest Marsou77
Paul, the first custom ROM based on v20Q has been released on XDA. Any update on a MCR Kitchen release of v20Q please?

Thank you for all your hard work

Baz

This ROM of what you speak is based on the Spica kernel RC12 which is based on V20q kernel... so, the ROM is a Custom V20o with a V20q kernel.

Guest Basil 123

This ROM of what you speak is based on the Spica kernel RC12 which is based on V20q kernel... so, the ROM is a Custom V20o with a V20q kernel.

I see - thanks for the info. I know that Paul has often been one of the first to release new leaks, so I was puzzled.

Cheers

Baz

Hey guys,

I tried to install this version of the Modaco Rom today. I just used CM7 before so I'm totally new to Modaco.

Unfortunately after doing Factory Reset and installing the core zip and the stock styled rom from sd card, my device keeps rebooting over and over again. all i can see is the LG logo. I tried flashing the zip files again, but without success.

Any idea how i can fix this problem? have i missed a step? is there a special issue when coming from cm7?

edit: now trying to get to EXT3. hopefully this will fix the problem :)

edit#2: this solved the problem :)

Edited by xyloth

Guest Basil 123

Hi Paul, any updates on v20Q?

I know we are all waiting for ICS to drop, but a final polished GB with the latest would still be great even after ICS is released.

Thanks for all your hard work

Baz

Guest maniacdave

I cannot send MMS's with Gr6...

I tried the ext3 MCK and stock kernel + CM APN list and stock APN list, nothing doing. Complete wipe between them. Data and everything else is working fine.

As soon as I push "Send", I get "currently unable to send your message..." error toast repeating instantly over and over until the SMS/MMS app crashes. It's not network settings, nor provider. The error is instant. I get hundreds of these error in my logcat:

D/MobileDataStateTracker( 1142): unable to determine APN availability

PS:

- I flashed the recommended BB first (LGP990AT-00-V20l-EUR-XX-OCT-20-2011) in the phone, it says: 1035.21_20110725 (GetRIL says V20o)

- Tried with 622 BB, same result

- Tried with two different networks (I flashed 2 O2X's), same result

- String "unable to determine APN availability" in not in the original AOSP Gingerbread source

- Using Google SMS/MMS app, not the LG one

Anybody? THANKS!

EDIT: Reposted from a different thread (originally posted in Fr thread by mistake), sorry.

EDIT: Pinned it down and fixed it. :) By incrementally adding stuff from default kitchen options (product of which worked, as I found out) up to my desired config that didn't work. Turns out, Toggle 2G breaks data services! Exactly the same kitchen config, one without Toggle 2G, one with. One works like a charm, the other cannot send or receive MMS and causes issues with APN configuration/selection.

Even MMS-only APN (for MMS without Internet APN) works now. That never worked for me before. All down to this Toggle hack. Just thought it might help somebody in a similar situation. See ya!

Edited by maniacdave

Guest maniacdave

Hi Paul! Do you know why setting "config_sip_wifi_only" to false doesn't work on Gr6? Is that something to do with LG modifications?

Patched my framework-res.apk: all my mods are working fine, but this doesn't have any effect on SIP availability under GPRS/3G.

EDIT: Actually, it works, just not as I expected. It works only with 3G. When in 2G/GPRS mode, it behaves as though there was no network connection. Probably a feature. Is this right?

The AOSP SIP source doesn't distinguish between 3G and GPRS, so I expected it to work all the time with Data Enabled.

Edited by maniacdave

Guest mikha_surya

Hello paul,

I have tried to compile your MCK source code without any change there,

I'm used "config" file,that i pull it use adb command from your GR6 MCR.

but no luck, the compiller say error,

can u help me?

thx

There has been a Russian v20b release which looks like it is the compiled version of the v20q sources that were released by LG, with a few changes made since v20o.

Any chance of making a gr7 based on this and the v20q kernel source?

I managed to extract the baseband, system and boot images from the KDZ, and Carburano over on XDA has been good enough to make a CWM flashable ROM out of it. (It does include quite a few region specific bits though)

Russian V20b

Guest scorelord

I keep get missing calls with these V20o roms. After not using the phone for about 15 houres it looses its data/network connections. In the display everything seems ok but I cannot receive calls or SMSes.

I've had this problem since the the Leaked v20o rom. Now on this one as well. I use stock kernel. Just the untouched base + addon prebake-file here. (no custom kitchen)

I used recommended baseband and ril. Tried v20i and v20j. Even the "new" Russian V20b baseband and Ril. I even replaced the simcard. It looks like it's v20o specific. But what could be the culprit?

Guest Stevvie

Any chance of getting a link to just the kernals ? I could bake a rom for each, but that seems a waste of bandwidth. Spica's kernals are great but don't support IP tables, so anything like droidwall wont work on them and they did when I first installed GR6 with MCK kernals.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lipobay

Having finally took the plunge and rooted and custom my LG 2x, I too have noticed this issue.

Am using the GR6 V20o stock rom with my own kitchen choices; 0725 v20l baseband; 0725 (v200,Europe) RIL from 'GetRil'.

I too have noticed that phone signal cuts of after so many hours -- Would be great to find fix for it, but for now am just using an app called 'Power Schedule' and scheduling it to jump in and out of Airplane mode at a particular time, say 5am in morning, as longest period of time not using my phone is when catching some sleep.

Apart from this seems to be running fine on my LG 2X, am happy waiting to so Ice Cream Sandwich comes are way! :)

Cheers Paul for the hard work !

• 3 weeks later...

V20q officially released a couple of days ago, at least in Italy.

Should we expect a GR7 v20q based release soon?

It has been avaliable for weeks and the source code was released for the kernel as well but i dont think paul has any time for this.

Guest lipobay

Battery life for me is fine. Wifi and playing games zaps it the most but its reasonable enough batery drain for that type of use.

I keep mine running on 2G signal with mobile data, gps, wireless location and wifi turned off when not need to save battery i.e. especially when sleeping.

Overnight loss of power is less than 10%.

Am religious on killing unecessary services when not needed and using an app called 'Fast Reboot' before locking the phone.

All in all I find GR6 a definate good step up from stock Froyo.

Can't complain - Chef Paul is a Legend!!

Guest HAL_9000

I'm also very satisfied. GR6 (Vanilla) is so far the most stable and quick ROM I've evere had. Paul is a real legend. B)

The only disadvantage of GR6 is bit worse battery life (compared to GR4). Yes, I'm using wi-fi a lot but still this ROM consumes a bit more than GR4. Either way, great work. 100% bugs free and smooth. With this completed GB I can wait until some rock stable ICS came out. And it could take a few moths, but never mind... I have no need to try buggy ICS from XDA. LG have to release some better core first...

• 1 month later...
Guest SuperSkill

Hi Paul :)

Any chance of an updated kitchen based on 20Q? Or maybe a hybrid cm9 MoDaCo kitchen like the one you set up for cm7?

• 1 month later...

I have a feeling that LG will release the ICS only closer to the end of the year. they are working very hard on the LG 4x and it was already delayed once. they(LG) promised to release an ICS update in Q3 of 2012 (that is next month by the way) I don't believe it will happen,

I am actually going to get me another device and will never get back to LG, they are not a good company and they definitively lost me as a customer.

You have a good point Rusty, but I think that LG already have what they need. and they are too busy working on new phone releases.

it's just a feeling...

• 1 month later...
Guest alew185

o_O after an Shutdown, my device with the last Gr6 don't reboot...

boot loop... (i'm in stock kernel)

just pull battery out and wait for 10-30 sec the reboot

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nic0co

just pull battery out and wait for 10-30 sec the reboot

thx alew185, but now i've an other ROM in ICS.

Any one have information about ICS? a leak? Paullll???