How do I identify the Android version on Orange San Francisco

Guest Ray-man

Guest Ray-man

Hi, As a total virgin to MoDaCo, Smartphones and Android I would like to know how to find out which Android version is running on my Orange Sanfrancisco phone. The phone was purchased from Tesco direct and delivered today (21 July 2011). I have managed to establish that it has a TFT display but nothing else. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Guest flshg

Hi, As a total virgin to MoDaCo, Smartphones and Android I would like to know how to find out which Android version is running on my Orange Sanfrancisco phone. The phone was purchased from Tesco direct and delivered today (21 July 2011). I have managed to establish that it has a TFT display but nothing else. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Most likely it will be android 2.1 (eclair)

Go into settings, which you should find in your app drawer, then about phone. I think it'll be near the bottom where you'll find info about the android version.

Guest Ray-man

Most likely it will be android 2.1 (eclair)

Go into settings, which you should find in your app drawer, then about phone. I think it'll be near the bottom where you'll find info about the android version.

Thanks for the help, it's enabled me to move forward and yes it is running 2.1. I've used Mr. Pigfish to confirm it's MOD1 and have unlocked, rooted, installed clockwork and saved a backup so am now looking to debrand and upgrade to 2.2 froyo. Right now I'm looking into the merits of changing from MOD1 to MOD2 but there seems to be conflicting opinions as to whether the process can be reversed. The only reason for considering it is that it would allow me to upgrade to 2.3.4 Gingerbread.

Guest flshg

Thanks for the help, it's enabled me to move forward and yes it is running 2.1. I've used Mr. Pigfish to confirm it's MOD1 and have unlocked, rooted, installed clockwork and saved a backup so am now looking to debrand and upgrade to 2.2 froyo. Right now I'm looking into the merits of changing from MOD1 to MOD2 but there seems to be conflicting opinions as to whether the process can be reversed. The only reason for considering it is that it would allow me to upgrade to 2.3.4 Gingerbread.

Its generally referred to as GEN1 and GEN2. As far as I know converting to GEN2 is fully reversible as long as you use the TPT upgrade method which is very easy. So far, people dont have much reason to move back to GEN1, unless its for warranty purposes. If you want gingerbread you are best converting to GEN2 as all the roms in development are for gen2 only.

Guest Ray-man

Its generally referred to as GEN1 and GEN2. As far as I know converting to GEN2 is fully reversible as long as you use the TPT upgrade method which is very easy. So far, people dont have much reason to move back to GEN1, unless its for warranty purposes. If you want gingerbread you are best converting to GEN2 as all the roms in development are for gen2 only.

Thanks for your help and yes I should have referred to this as GEN2 to GEN2, must be one of those 'senior moments', anyway that's my excuse.

I have already performed some steps towards the upgrade and my phone is now Rooted, Clockwork mod installed and a backup saved on the SD card. But I understand that I will need a different version of Clockwork mod to restore with after upgrade to GEN2 and I'm concerned that if something goes wrong during the GEN1 to GEN2 process I could be left with no way back. I have seen reference to using the TPT upgrade method on MoDaCo but I'm not sure where to find the necessary information to identify suitable downloads and how to apply that method so I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Finally, I should add that although my knowledge has improved over the last few days I am still a novice on smartphones, Android and even forums like this, so please forgive me if any of my questions are nonsense.

Guest flshg

The only nonsense questions are ones that you already know the answer to.

I would suggest you download the android file verifier from the market, or anything else that is able to check MD5 (its a method to check that files are not corrupted after download). Download everything you need onto sdcard before starting the process.

Download a TPT upgrade from here (the first link Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip will be fine). It includes a suitable clockworkmod for gen2.

Then download the rom (e.g. swedish spring is here, this is an android 2.2 rom). Use clockwork to install this immediately after the TPT upgrade.

Both links contain good instructions so you should familiarise yourself with the full process before starting.

Alternatively the first link also has all-in-one TPTs that also includes 2.3.4 roms (your choice of CM7 or Ginger stir fry), so the whole thing is done in one step.

If you need more info on using clockworkmod, this link, section 3 is useful.

Just make sure that you have a fully charged battery, then detach the usb or power cable before starting the actual TPT.

Edited by flshg

Guest Ray-man

The only nonsense questions are ones that you already know the answer to.

I would suggest you download the android file verifier from the market, or anything else that is able to check MD5 (its a method to check that files are not corrupted after download). Download everything you need onto sdcard before starting the process.

Download a TPT upgrade from here (the first link Gen1-to-Gen2-TPT-v8-custom.zip will be fine). It includes a suitable clockworkmod for gen2.

Then download the rom (e.g. swedish spring is here, this is an android 2.2 rom). Use clockwork to install this immediately after the TPT upgrade.

Both links contain good instructions so you should familiarise yourself with the full process before starting.

Alternatively the first link also has all-in-one TPTs that also includes 2.3.4 roms (your choice of CM7 or Ginger stir fry), so the whole thing is done in one step.

If you need more info on using clockworkmod, this link, section 3 is useful.

Just make sure that you have a fully charged battery, then detach the usb or power cable before starting the actual TPT.

Thanks for the help, I've moved forward now and am currently trying to iron out some post upgrade problems but I'm getting there thanks to helpful MoDaCo members like yourself. I couldn't have done any of this without help.

Edited by Ray-man