Skate processor

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

Hi all

K0smic asked whether the Skate is an ARM v7 based processor or the MSM 7230.

The Skate is based on an ARMv6 processor. The cost/benefit of using the MSM7230 (which incorporates an ARMv7 processor) did not make sense. ZTE has optimized the Skate processor such that performance is as good as an ARMv7 device.

Guest ididmytime

Hi all

The Skate is based on an ARMv6 processor. The cost/benefit of using the MSM7230 (which incorporates an ARMv7 processor) did not make sense. ZTE has optimized the Skate processor such that performance is as good as an ARMv7 device.

Thank you for the continued support Sean. I'm sure tons of people will whine, but I'm just pleased we finally got a straight answer.

Guest sane?

Hi all

Hope you've got a low, low price planned, coz that's not the right answer. It's just not going to fly, either from a base performance or capabilities standpoint.

And not sure how you manage 1 Ghz if its not ARM7 based processor....

Hello Huawei....

Guest ididmytime

Hope you've got a low, low price planned, coz that's not the right answer. It's just not going to fly, either from a base performance or capabilities standpoint.

And not sure how you manage 1 Ghz if its not ARM7 based processor....

Hello Huawei....

I could care less on the speed really, just the fact so many things are armv7 only, this will only increase in time.

Guest Simon O

You have to remember that Orange are going to be selling the Skate for less than £150. For that price it'll do well. It's aimed at the lower end of the market just like the Blade was. If you are wanting ARM7 or a faster CPU then you certainly aren't the target market for the Skate.

Guest sane?

You have to remember that Orange are going to be selling the Skate for less than £150. For that price it'll do well. It's aimed at the lower end of the market just like the Blade was. If you are wanting ARM7 or a faster CPU then you certainly aren't the target market for the Skate.

Its a bump on the Blade. Nothing wrong with that, but given where we are the price has to be within spitting distance of its price to be a worthwhile bet (otherwise why not just get the Blade?) You want to move up a class in price, then you need to move up a class in performance. 4.3" screen is as much a negative as a positive for many in its target audience, particularly at the same resolution.

So its needs to be topping out at ~£130, otherwise its expensive compared to its predecessor.

Guest Simon O

Lets ignore the CPU type for a moment. My personal opinion on the Skate is that it's a significant upgrade over the Blade. Comparing the Blade running the stock ROM and the Skate and the Skate is a lot smoother and slicker than the Blade. The bigger screen makes no difference to the speed of the phone since it has the same number of pixels.

Now if we look at the CPU, yes it's only 800MHz compared to the 600MHz CPU in the Blade. The Skate has an MSM7227-T CPU which is improved over the original MSM7227. I had a Blade myself and ran it overclocked at around 760MHz and the Skate, in my opinion, felt a lot quicker. 90% of Skate users will not experience any issues with the CPU not being ARM7. Those that do notice issues would be better off with a higher spec device.

Anyway I'm not trying to persuade people that the Skate is the best phone in the world. It is what it is... a cheap device with decent specifications. The advantage it will have over other devices is that it will be easily hackable from day one. No arsing about with encrypted bootloaders etc.

Guest sane?
Now if we look at the CPU, yes it's only 800MHz compared to the 600MHz CPU in the Blade. The Skate has an MSM7227-T CPU which is improved over the original MSM7227. I had a Blade myself and ran it overclocked at around 760MHz

Fairy nuff, but as I said, that makes it a bump on the Blade - and not much of one at that.

£130 tops

In a world of dual core and 1Ghz+, with talk of quad core, its really not going to set anyone's knickers alight now is it?

Guest Simon O

Fairy nuff, but as I said, that makes it a bump on the Blade - and not much of one at that.

£130 tops

In a world of dual core and 1Ghz+, with talk of quad core, its really not going to set anyone's knickers alight now is it?

And why would it? It's a cheap lower end device for consumers that either don't want, don't need, or cannot afford the latest and greatest £300+ dual core phone.

Guest Simon O

I love how my post was deleted

I don't think anyone has deleted a post from you? I know you made a post in the other thread recently.

Guest Atomix86

I don't think anyone has deleted a post from you? I know you made a post in the other thread recently.

You're right but I posted up a question here directly, and Tapatalk failed to post when i went out of range :angry: i apologise.

Guest k0zmic

Anyway I'm not trying to persuade people that the Skate is the best phone in the world. It is what it is... a cheap device with decent specifications. The advantage it will have over other devices is that it will be easily hackable from day one. No arsing about with encrypted bootloaders etc.

I agree with that. It still provides good specs for the price IMO and will hopefully have a decent dev community.

Guest john.smith

That means no native support of Flash 10.x? OK I know there are apps for ARM v6/7 to support Flash.

But hmmmm, that would be a disappointment. :unsure:

Guest k0zmic

That means no native support of Flash 10.x? OK I know there are apps for ARM v6/7 to support Flash.

But hmmmm, that would be a disappointment. :unsure:

If it's the 7227 Turbo as Flibblesan mentioned it may get Flash judging by the link below.

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Qualcomm-Expands-Flash-Player-prnews-3836749440.html?x=0&.v=1

Qualcomm's 800MHz MSM7x27™ mobile processor will be the first to enable Flash Player for the mass market segment of smartphones, allowing handset manufacturers to offer richer Web-based multimedia and graphics experiences for casual games, applications, videos and other Flash-based content

Guest Simon O

I am so getting a Defy since I can get a black one new for £229

Please stop spamming every thread about the Skate CPU with posts about the Defy.

Guest sej7278

Please stop spamming every thread about the Skate CPU with posts about the Defy.

its a good point though - unless orange really do sell the PAYG skate for £150 or less like the blade, the defy (or defy+) is its nearest priced competitor and pisses all over the skate.

i don't really care about 800mhz vs 1ghz but without arm7 instructions we're going to lose flash, firefox and google talk video for a start.

Guest ThermalDroid

£180 if you shop around or go for a network locked model.

Thanks sej my reasons exactly for wanting to get it, and Atomix I was just giving an example but I was checking Expansys and they have pretty good prices on SIM free stuff which is what I need atm.