gps on galaxy s2

Guest Junior Bear

Guest Junior Bear

Had to use the navigation a lot yesterday. Its by far the worst thing about this phone. Took around ten minutest to get a lock on current location. And if moving it stayed confused on where i was a good while longer. Is it just me??!

Guest AndyCr15

It might be just you.

Look how quick mine got it in doors -

Skip to around 8:20. This was in doors!

Then again around 6 mins -

Guest DaveMac

My Blade is shockingly bad picking up GPS...I've waited that long I've given up sometimes!

Hoping the S2 is better when I get it!

Guest xgemina

Had to use the navigation a lot yesterday. Its by far the worst thing about this phone. Took around ten minutest to get a lock on current location. And if moving it stayed confused on where i was a good while longer. Is it just me??!

I use the GPS for bike rides of up to 3 or 4 hours and i have no problems, to get the GPS signal about 30 seconds

My galaxy S2 is no brand

I use gps test plus,

Maybe update the modem firmware. My GPS seems to have improved with a 2.3.4 ROM and KG3 (I think) modem. Or maybe it just needed to work out where it was reliably.

Guest ricer

Remember that if you havent connected to the satellites in over a month, it has to re-sync with it and this can take ages 10-15 mins, using A-GPS speeds up the connection as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dreaming Sheep

Just to add my 2c... Mine's varied from about 10 seconds to 10 minutes at different times and locations. I've even had it get a location in seconds and then about 15 minutes later take a few minutes. I've also got what I would consider a pretty thick case on it and it doesn't seem to affect the time.

I know this will seem like the stupid statement, but it really does seem to depend on you current situation.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Coilfan

Try this one

https://market.andro...e=search_result

You can change the related server for a-gps to the right area. The app needs root.

My SGS2 had been set to Northern-America by default. Not a great one, living in Europe.

Loozaa

You made my day, thanks! It''s really funny, but I think it mostly has to do with your gps.conf. I had one just for Holland, which didn't give me a quick fix (+1 min.) but the European one provided by FasterFix changed the fix to about 5 secs. Great!

• 2 weeks later...

Fasterfix helps reduce the lock on time BUT doesn't help with the accuracy, I've found that even with 6 or 7 satellites locked on, I don't get better that 20m accuracy which is pretty bad. My 'old' HTC Wildfire could reported 2-3m but in reality was about 5m.

As I use my smartphone for Geocaching, I need an accurate GPS and unless there is an incredible patch released, I don't think that I'll be keeping the SGS2 for much longer :(

Rooted & ROM'd (SensatioN 1.6 KH3 baseband, speedmodt39)

Guest donatinho

Fasterfix helps reduce the lock on time BUT doesn't help with the accuracy, I've found that even with 6 or 7 satellites locked on, I don't get better that 20m accuracy which is pretty bad. My 'old' HTC Wildfire could reported 2-3m but in reality was about 5m.

As I use my smartphone for Geocaching, I need an accurate GPS and unless there is an incredible patch released, I don't think that I'll be keeping the SGS2 for much longer :(

Rooted & ROM'd (SensatioN 1.6 KH3 baseband, speedmodt39)

My sgs2 has an accuracy of 3 meters according to GPS status. I use the same app also for A-GPS updates