Orange Monte Carlo -£139.99

Guest hemant1

Guest ididmytime

£18/m when it first came out (eg when I took the contract out)? No chance.

My mistake, would explain why it's so high.

Crazy to think how phones go down in price so quickly. This time next year the S2 will probably be cheap on a contract.

Guest Atomix86

My mistake, would explain why it's so high.

Crazy to think how phones go down in price so quickly. This time next year the S2 will probably be cheap on a contract.

So true, tech moves so fast, which is good for gadget nerds like me, but its why I really begrudge 24 month contracts :P .

Guest Anil k Solanki

but I can't see myself paying 150 (which includes a top up I don't even need) when you can get something like a Desire HD for just a little more, or go bargain hunting in the pre owned market.

Hi, I'm thinking of giving my Blade to my girlfriend so she can replace her Nokia 5800. I was thinking of getting a Skate if the price is £150. I love the Blade I don't need any more speed or higher specs other than a bigger screen. But you said in your post that for a few quid more I can get a Desire HD? Really? No handcuff contract etc? Please tell me where.

Thanks. Anil.

PS. I have searched extensively, but the Desire HD is at least double the price of the Skate.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest targetbsp

At that price, it's probably a better buy than I expected it to be for a first time user. But for me, the Blade is pretty much perfect. Only if it was that price and an ARMv7 (wishful thinking I know and hence why I said no buy in the poll before we knew anything about it lol) would it tempt me to upgrade.

I wonder if they'll do an existing customer discount again. Because if not, that makes the price difference between the 2 a lot bigger. A Blade actually costs £85 if you know anyone with Orange.

Guest k0zmic

I have searched extensively, but the Desire HD is at least double the price of the Skate.

Yeah, the cheapest I could find it was for around £320 from a reputable seller.

I didn't search eBay though and I only looked for new DHD's.

Guest spanner44

I think this is a dilemma that a few owners of the blade are going to pomder on.

For me, I am happy with my blade running GSF custom Rom, though it has a cracked screen that I can live for now. I would like to in a couple of months upgrade to another phone with a larger screen and better specs in general, but cannot yet see if the skate/monte-Carlo will be a bigger enough improvement over the san Fransico, or to see what I can find on ebay, but what to ?

Guest ididmytime

Hi, I'm thinking of giving my Blade to my girlfriend so she can replace her Nokia 5800. I was thinking of getting a Skate if the price is £150. I love the Blade I don't need any more speed or higher specs other than a bigger screen. But you said in your post that for a few quid more I can get a Desire HD? Really? No handcuff contract etc? Please tell me where.

Thanks. Anil.

PS. I have searched extensively, but the Desire HD is at least double the price of the Skate.

Someone posted about an LG from amazon.de for £150 new. Vastly better specs than anything at that price, 1ghz and 720p HD video capture.

Trouble being its a windows phone, but i would choose it over a skate anyday.

Edited by ididmytime

Guest k0zmic

Someone posted about an LG from amazon.de for £150 new. Vastly better specs than anything at that price, 1ghz and 720p HD video capture.

That was me :D.

I agree the specs are far better, but the lack of apps puts me off. Maybe for someone else it would be a viable alternative.

That said, I'd be delighted to have it as my second/backup phone because at that price it's quality. You can also update it to Mango fairly easily if you check out XDA.

Link here: LG E900 Optimus 7 Smartphone: Amazon.de: Electronics

I spotted it on HUKD and it seems quite a few have purchased it from over here in the UK.

I just spotted this as well: http://www.hotukdeal...44-ebuye/984231.

Hope I'm not going too off-topic here.

Edited by k0zmic

@fibblesam, is the cpu 800mhz or 1ghz? what res video will it shoot? does it support flash? will the hd voice be coming to non-orange manufacturers otherwise we will only get great audio by phoning other orange users with suitable handsets?

Guest k0zmic

@fibblesam, is the cpu 800mhz or 1ghz? what res video will it shoot? does it support flash? will the hd voice be coming to non-orange manufacturers otherwise we will only get great audio by phoning other orange users with suitable handsets?

It's 800MHz as the ZTE rep confirmed. It doesn't support Flash (at least not yet) since the processor is not ARM v7.

Regarding HD Voice & Video I have a feeling that HD Voice will be Orange only but I may well be wrong and I can't seem to find any info the on the video res, I'm guessing it's not 720p though.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Thanks for the info. Windows? No thanks, I like the ANDROID way of doing things. Hardware specs are relative to the running software. I think a Blade running Cyanogen would be far better, than Pineapple, sorry, Mango running on superior hardware. I look forward to user reports of the Skate.

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest Anil k Solanki

That was me :D.

I agree the specs are far better, but the lack of apps puts me off. Maybe for someone else it would be a viable alternative.

That said, I'd be delighted to have it as my second/backup phone because at that price it's quality. You can also update it to Mango fairly easily if you check out XDA.

Link here: LG E900 Optimus 7 Smartphone: Amazon.de: Electronics

I spotted it on HUKD and it seems quite a few have purchased it from over here in the UK.

I just spotted this as well: http://www.hotukdeal...44-ebuye/984231.

Hope I'm not going too off-topic here.

Hi k0zmic, quick question. Can you run any flavour of ANDROID on the LG E900?

My apologies too for going off topic.

Anil.

EDIT. I've done some more research and the LG isn't really what I want anyway, so my question is moot, sorry.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest targetbsp

Have you seen http://tinyurl.com/3bkemxv ?

It confirms the release date but shows an 800MHz processor. As for the price...!!!!

As posted in the Blade forum, they also sell the Blade (well the Libra) for £180. Orange are discounting these things quite a lot!!

Guest hemant1

Sorry about the off-topic post earlier.

Will there be an unofficial flash on the monte carlo? My little brothers saying that cause it's arm6 it won't work properly and will be really laggy

Guest k0zmic

Sorry about the off-topic post earlier.

Will there be an unofficial flash on the monte carlo? My little brothers saying that cause it's arm6 it won't work properly and will be really laggy

Just because it's ARM v6 it doesn't mean it's going to be laggy. But yes I do reckon custom ROM's will be made for it.

Guest ThermalDroid

next android phone for me has to have hardware keyboard and arm7.

Same cool.gif but I do like the look of that HTC 7Pro that has been in that play.com banner ad

As posted in the Blade forum, they also sell the Blade (well the Libra) for £180. Orange are discounting these things quite a lot!!

Why do you say "Orange are discounting these things quite a lot" ? Amazon charge £109.99. http://tinyurl.com/3d9ep5x or you can buy from Argos even cheaper.

And what's a Libra when it's at home?

If you look at the cost of a phone, then add in 12, 18 or 24 * monthly SIM only deal, how does that compare with a monthly deal that includes the same phone? I'm looking at buying my first smart phone and it's looking very much like the "subsidised phone" idea is a myth.

This is a great forum, I've learnt a lot, There are many people on here who know what they are talking about, but there are many who seem to present wishful thinking as fact.

Guest k0zmic

Why do you say "Orange are discounting these things quite a lot" ? Amazon charge £109.99. http://tinyurl.com/3d9ep5x or you can buy from Argos even cheaper.

Because the Libra has practically the same specs as the San Francisco, if the Orange branded version is sold for around the £100 mark, it shows the extent as to which Orange are 'discounting' the branded version of the phone.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest Atomix86

And what's a Libra when it's at home?

If you look at the cost of a phone, then add in 12, 18 or 24 * monthly SIM only deal, how does that compare with a monthly deal that includes the same phone? I'm looking at buying my first smart phone and it's looking very much like the "subsidised phone" idea is a myth.

This is a great forum, I've learnt a lot, There are many people on here who know what they are talking about, but there are many who seem to present wishful thinking as fact.

Precisely. people seem to think that they are going to pay for the phone and magically get all the calls, data and texts etc free for the next 2 years.

Guest Simon O

The Monte Carlo is 800MHz. The ZTE Skate, I do not know. Will know in a few days for sure!

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

It's 800MHz as the ZTE rep confirmed. It doesn't support Flash (at least not yet) since the processor is not ARM v7.

Regarding HD Voice & Video I have a feeling that HD Voice will be Orange only but I may well be wrong and I can't seem to find any info the on the video res, I'm guessing it's not 720p though.

Correct - the 800MHz processor means it won't do HD record and replay.