[ROM MOD][Gen2] Simple Stir Fry (Updated 01/10) - b27

Guest Matthew Ferguson

Guest EinarD

I like this rom. I tried Ginger Stir Fry, but this one is better.

I've got one question though, is it possible to O/C it? Because I can't get SetCPU to detect higher speeds than 600 (stock)

Guest rockstarszzzz

I like this rom. I tried Ginger Stir Fry, but this one is better.

I've got one question though, is it possible to O/C it? Because I can't get SetCPU to detect higher speeds than 600 (stock)

Since this is based on GSF B19, which is based on ZTE leaked gingerbread, short answer is - No.

Once ZTE releases the source to the kernel, things will move very quick and chances are somewhere by 15th September you will have nice working GSF or SSF with O/C.

Guest rockstarszzzz

Hi Matthew,

Lovely ROM. Sleek and slim, the way I like it ;)

BTW, wanted to swap some bits - can you help?

I've tried swapping browser, file explorer and launcher instead of the ones in this ROM. Also removing car home, stock email app as well as SIM toolkit - however everytime I pack the .zip back and flash, it doesn't give me anything but new launcher. Rest is all old.

What method do you follow? Are there specific .apks that will boot and others won't? What am I doing wrong here?

Any suggestions?

Guest Matthew Ferguson

The Patch to re-add CRT is based on what beta?

It's based on the same framework that's used in this ROM. If you use this ROM, and don't experience any issues, then you won't have any more if you use that patch I created :)

Rockstarszzzz - as long as you're unzipping the ROM, placing them in system/app overwriting the others of the same name, rezipping and flashing, there shouldn't be any problem. Can you explain the process you're doing so I can get a clearer idea? :) Also, why would you want to replace the browser?! :P

Guest ShahinTehShiz

Could I get a separate download for that google "X" boot animation? looks sooo much better and I'd LOVE to keep using it if I ever change ROMS (which shouldn't happen, since I'm trying this out now ;P)

Since this is based on GSF B19, which is based on ZTE leaked gingerbread, short answer is - No.

Once ZTE releases the source to the kernel, things will move very quick and chances are somewhere by 15th September you will have nice working GSF or SSF with O/C.

Once ZTE release the kernel source GSF is dead, because we'll have working wifi in CM7 so there will be absolutely no point in using any other blade rom.

Guest Matthew Ferguson

Once ZTE release the kernel source GSF is dead, because we'll have working wifi in CM7 so there will be absolutely no point in using any other blade rom.

Except that CM7 comes with horrible customisation, still has GPS issues, battery issues, stability issues, no smart dialler...

Still plenty of reasons to go with a modified Libra ROM when they come out.

Guest rockstarszzzz

Sad to see you getting negative reputation for that - I bet people want to tie you to a chair and make sure you don't leave GSF at all ;)

Except that CM7 comes with horrible customisation, still has GPS issues, battery issues, stability issues, no smart dialler...

Still plenty of reasons to go with a modified Libra ROM when they come out.

I agree with horrible customisation and battery issues.

But I think with new kernel - CM7 will have better battery, better stability and might overcome GPS issues too. What will still turn off people would be - horrible customization and lack of smart dialler. But again, themes, mods and add-ons might help to customize to our likings?

Other thing that does worry me now about CM7 is past N88, it's started becoming soooo much more bulkier. Things get added on to it, it lags terribly when you compare to GSF. If it's just a kernel issue then fair, but if it's due to 'out-of-the-box-functionalities' then CM7 will get bulkier and uglier and even new kernel won't make it as snappy as GSFB19/B20!!

Guest dibbles

Unless my failing memory is acting up (which would be typical of it) I started to have some "real" issues with CM7 from around N36 or so onwards. Once the GPS issues started (and never really resolved whilst I continued to try it) things seemed to go worse. When it flipped over to GEN 2 support I kept with it for a while longer but charging issues, battery drains, stability, GPS problems etc etc started to become too much of a problem to keep up helping with reporting the bugs and having a functioning phone. Compiling the bug reports etc was great to help the devs but I no longer could use the phone in any meaningful way. GPS was a joke and my homing and direction instincts are totally rubbish and so I need that to work.

Apart from the BT issue I couldn't possibly see a reason to think that GSF doesn't tick all the boxes in what I would want from a ROM. Wbaw has, and still is, done a superb job with its development and I, amongst many many others, are much appreciative of his continued work.

Guest Matthew Ferguson

Sad to see you getting negative reputation for that - I bet people want to tie you to a chair and make sure you don't leave GSF at all ;)

I agree with horrible customisation and battery issues.

But I think with new kernel - CM7 will have better battery, better stability and might overcome GPS issues too. What will still turn off people would be - horrible customization and lack of smart dialler. But again, themes, mods and add-ons might help to customize to our likings?

Other thing that does worry me now about CM7 is past N88, it's started becoming soooo much more bulkier. Things get added on to it, it lags terribly when you compare to GSF. If it's just a kernel issue then fair, but if it's due to 'out-of-the-box-functionalities' then CM7 will get bulkier and uglier and even new kernel won't make it as snappy as GSFB19/B20!!

Other ROMs running the .32 kernel, such as SS, or even older Gen1 ROMs, never had any issues with GPS or battery due to the kernel. So I'm thinking when those who are a big fan of CM7 claim that the new kernel will solve a lot of problems... I'm a little bit hesitant to believe them.

Guest bogino

@Matthew Ferguson

I am new Android user, I own a new Blade from the Czech distribution with factory 2.2 ROM. I read there are some issues with GPS in CM7. Can you please explain me more what these issues do mean? Well functioning GPS is very important for me. I understood these issues don't appear in GSF and your mod.

Edited by bogino

Guest samuvuo

ROM DOWNLOADS - b19:

Lite version : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BCHZCGQZ

Full version: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6TI277HG

md5sums?

The Lite version sounds interesting, will give it a try. :D

Edit: Oops - just noticed that the MD5 issue has been discussed already. So please ignore that. Off to tinker with the phone...

Edited by samuvuo

Guest samuvuo

Been using the Lite version for 4 days now. Came from Konsta's GingerLeak Saunalahti TPT [gen1->gen2] (based on wbaw's Ginger Stir Fry b14) which had great battery life and was working without problems apart from occasional hiccups in the new Market app. Switched because I was curious about this ROM, not because something wasn't working. That said, I like the idea of "minimal install" and getting to add things I like without removing stuff first. Simple Stir Fry fit the bill perfectly!

Charged battery to 100% before flashing, did full wipe. After installing I changed NTP server in gps.conf to fi.pool.ntp.org for faster fix and added my own version of hosts file for blocking some ads. Changed the launcher to Laucher Pro. Did not restore any backups with Titanium or other app - just synching contacts, GMail and Calendar with Google.

My requirements are: stable and fast ROM without too much bloat, working gps with a fast fix, wifi AP. I need to get work done, not so much after eye candy. Simple Stir Fry delivers.

Great work wbaw and Matthew! Thank you.

Guest samuvuo
I read there are some issues with GPS in CM7. Can you please explain me more what these issues do mean? Well functioning GPS is very important for me. I understood these issues don't appear in GSF and your mod.

Well functioning GPS is important to me too. I don't know about the issues in CM7, but gps is working without problems in this ROM (I'm using the Lite version) as well as in Ginger Stir Fry it is based on.

I live in the countryside and there's no wifi anywhere close, so I only use the GPS location. I get a fix (accuracy 30 meters) within 14-40 seconds indoors, depending on the time of the day. Cannot imagine it being better than that, really.

Guest JasonLeeming

Matthew Ferguson, thanks for this brilliant ROM. As much as I love and appreciate wbaw's GSF ROM's, I was getting sick of the issues when installing apps from SD card and the market. These issues are non-existent in this ROM, so I'm grateful for that. Keep up the good work with this.

Guest samuvuo

Is it possible to get power control widgets in the navigation bar with this ROM like with CM7?

Widgetsoid2.x can do that for you and you can configure what toggles to show and how to show them (only icons or icons with text, change the colors etc.). See the screenshots in Market.

https://market.andro...ils?id=com.jim2

Edited by samuvuo

Guest ThermalDroid

Other ROMs running the .32 kernel, such as SS, or even older Gen1 ROMs, never had any issues with GPS or battery due to the kernel. So I'm thinking when those who are a big fan of CM7 claim that the new kernel will solve a lot of problems... I'm a little bit hesitant to believe them.

Fine then, you make a 2.3.5 ROM from nothing but a 2.2 kernel.

Edited by ThermalDroid

Guest topyli

This ROM seems very nice, been using the Lite version for a couple of days now. CM7 feels bloated now :)

The only thing I miss is the "News and Weather" app which i thought was part of the AOSP distribution. I can't find it in the Market either. Just because I had to find something to criticize! :)

Guest Matthew Ferguson

Fine then, you make a 2.3.5 ROM from nothing but a 2.2 kernel.

The 2.2 ROMs work fine with that kernel, and aren't missing any major feautres that're included in CM7. I remember when the first Froyo ROMs came out with Eclair kernels, even those weren't as bad and as unstable as CM7.

Little bit of an update: As I feel the newer versions of GSF aren't adding any major features at the moment, I'm waiting for the release of a Gingerbread Libra ROM to become the new base for this project.

Edited by Matthew Ferguson

Guest Pierreism

This ROM seems very nice, been using the Lite version for a couple of days now. CM7 feels bloated now :)

The only thing I miss is the "News and Weather" app which i thought was part of the AOSP distribution. I can't find it in the Market either. Just because I had to find something to criticize! :)

If you just do a google search for GenieWidget.apk you can get it off mediafire. Download it straight from your phone browser for an easy install.

Edited by Pierreism