For those of you that don't yet know team Alpharev and unrEVOked have teamed up and today they released a developer version of S-OFF for us all along with a zip to flash to gain root.
Edit: To help one of our members I wrote a brief guide in a later post. To aid people in finding it I'm editing my first post to place the guide here. For posterity I've left my original post beneath.
No problem :-)
So the proceedure is:
1. Install the HTC Drivers if necessary from here http://downloads.unr...er3.0.0.007.exe
2. If you want to root your device (why wouldn't you) then Download this zip http://goo-inside.me...efgh-signed.zip and transfer it to the root of your SD card. (by for example connecting your phone and choosing to use the SD card as USB storage then dragging and dropping the file).
3. Switch on USB Debugging in the settings menu and connect phone in Charge Only mode (not HTC sync or the USB storage mode).
4. Download then run revolutionary from http://revolutionary.io (exact link not given as you'll need to be on that website to generate the beta key).
5. Run the revolutionary.io tool. It'll tell you your serial number (in square brackets) and your bootloader version will also be identified (subversion in the device name - else you can find it by restarting your phone into the bootloader).
6. Enter your phone model (presumably HTC Sensation if you're reading this), the operating system you're using (linux or windows), your bootloader version and your serial number into the form which appears when you download the file on the revolutionary.io website.
7. This will generate a unique beta serial which you should now cut and paste into the running program. (this will prevent errors). Make sure you don't accidently highlight a space before or after the key, or a new line. To paste right click on the top of the cmd.exe window and go to Edit > Paste. (If you're running linux right click anywhere on terminal and choose paste).
8. S-off should be installed automatically from here on. A few restarts will be involved. Let it finish. When it's finished it'll leave you in the boot loader....
9. Revolutionary will prompt you for whether you wish to flash a custom recovery (I'd choose yes if I were you!)
10. When that's complete if you don't want to root the device then you're done... if you do then choose 'Recovery' from the bootloader menu on the phone (volume up and down to select it , then the power volume to choose it)
11. Create a backup from the recovery first! (technically optional)
12. Then choose to flash a zip from the SD card scroll down to the file su-188.8.131.52-efgh-signed.zip which you placed there at step 2 , choose yes to confirm.
13. Once it's finished flashing navigate through the bootloader menu to restart device and you're done. Rooted and S-OFF.
14. Await increadable custom ROMS to install ;-)
The tool can be downloaded at:
right now (as it's a beta release) you'll need to generate a beta key for the software ( which uses your serial - don't worry about switching the phone off and taking the battery out to get the serial number as the program will tell you the serial you need to enter when run).
Best of luck all! Hopefully we'll see one of the famous MoDaCo custom roms coming out soon enough ;-) (no pressure Paul of course!)
I can confirm it works and I'm currently enjoying S-OFF with clockwork recovery mod (which the revolutionary will prompt you to install) and I'm rooted (and we're not talking the RW perma-temp root method - this one won't disappear it's a propper perm-root).
Many thanks to the teams involved! and hope this information helps someone!
PS - If you're on windows you'll need the fastboot drivers installed. You can find those and the zip file which you'll need ot flash from recovery to gain root linked on this page (in the common problems & questions section):
I'll try and find time to produce a spanish translation of the guide for our spanish friends soon! :-)
Edited by theboxman, 01 August 2011 - 01:04 PM.