Dual core products - research only

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

Hi all

Regarding Atomix86's question about dual core devices.

I can confirm that ZTE is researching and testing dual core chipsets, but cannot talk openly about the roadmap for dual core devices at this stage.

Guest The Soup Thief

Everyone seems to be focusing on speed, yet not the battery.

Seriously, we need devices that can go on for more than a day.

You make a good point (except that dual core devices are less power hungry than single core equivalents, or so the spin goes)

I read a news article about someone developing a new battery tech which would carry double the charge in the same mass - due in 2 years

Except, you can bet it won't carry double the charge in the same mass as a contemporary cell. It will carry the same charge in a cell half the size / weight

One day's usage is what the human factors people seem to have decided we want in our mobile phones

It galls me to say it, but any bit of capacity beyond that seems to represent to them wasted product

Even though we all bitch about kit not lasting beyond a day we still buy it

We are idiots and should stand up and be counted

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest everett_psycho

Everyone seems to be focusing on speed, yet not the battery.

Seriously, we need devices that can go on for more than a day.

+1, I like that dual cores provide that extra power boost if you need it but it's got to the point that 1 day battery is seemingly enough. my hero will last 1.5 days roughly, would it have killed them to stretch the battery a bit to last 2?

I'd be interested to see if the new technologies that recharge your phone a little bit just by it being used as you would anyway will mean that we can get more than a days use from them.

Guest The Soup Thief

I'd be interested to see if the new technologies that recharge your phone a little bit just by it being used as you would anyway will mean that we can get more than a days use from them.

Ahh, you mean the perpetual motion ones? Yup, got some of my top chimps working away in the Cold Fusion lab on it as we speak ;)

Sorry, just teasing - the story I saw was just about a better type of battery cell, able to carry more charge; I'm not sure anyone's come up with the golden ticket of a phone that recharges itself by being used (though there was talk recently of keyboard / keypad techs that capture some of the kinetic energy of presses if that's what you mean, plus there's solar, and the tiny bits of energy associated with movements of the whole device - cf those timex Kinetic watches - but I don't think they collect a lot of power)

Guest ThermalDroid

I know the atrix has a huge battery but I can get 2 days of fairly heavy use out of it and thats about 2 hours of various apps, about 300 messages and an hour of calls. I think duel core is far better than the single apart from some apps that just lag for no reason dry.gif

Guest Simon O

The problem with dual core is that until Ice Cream Sandwich is available nothing will take full advantage of them. Once you lucky dual core users have the ICS update your phones will be much much quicker.

Guest everett_psycho

Sorry, just teasing - the story I saw was just about a better type of battery cell, able to carry more charge; I'm not sure anyone's come up with the golden ticket of a phone that recharges itself by being used (though there was talk recently of keyboard / keypad techs that capture some of the kinetic energy of presses if that's what you mean, plus there's solar, and the tiny bits of energy associated with movements of the whole device - cf those timex Kinetic watches - but I don't think they collect a lot of power)

they are the ones i meant, nokia were working on one that uses motion and there's one that has some crystals or something behind the screen so a push generates some charge. A completely self charging phone is highly unlikely but if putting little bits of power back in means the same size battery can stay a bit more charged for a bit longer it would be good, every little helps and all that and you never know i might be able to make it past lunch tomorrow without recharging with them on board. Alternatively you could join orange at Glastonbury and try their phones recharging wellies and t-shirts:

http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2011/06/20/turn-it-up-to-11-orange-unveils-the-sound-charge-2011/

http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/06/07/here-comes-the-hot-stepper-orange-unveils-the-orange-power-wellies/

Guest Atomix86

I reckon a dual core phone should definitely be on the books for not just ZTE but all companies for when Ice Cream Sandwich is globally available.

If they're looking for ideas, then I'd rather have a higher resolution screen than dual core. I want 600x1024 or somewhere close. Hardware keyboard would be a bonus. 1ghz arm 7 with a 4"-4.5" high res screen & a very small frame around the screen, galaxy s2 style, but cheaper & higher resolution. I'll probably keep my blade until I find a cheap phone with a better screen.

Edited by wbaw

+1, I like that dual cores provide that extra power boost if you need it but it's got to the point that 1 day battery is seemingly enough. my hero will last 1.5 days roughly, would it have killed them to stretch the battery a bit to last 2?

Problem is, if you want a higher capacity battery then it has to be bigger & heavier, or somebody needs to invent a better type of battery.

Are ZTE eventually planning to produce any really high end handsets that will compete directly with the top handsets from manufacturers like Sony, HTC, Motorola, Samsung & LG? Or will they always stay at the budget end of the smartphone market?

Edited by wbaw

Guest ZTE_SeanJacko

so when are ZTE releasing a Quad core?

Since they can't talk openly about the dual core roadmap, it's fair to say the quadcore plans are also under wraps.

Guest NeostarNeko

A few things I'd like to see are...

Nvidia dual core CPU/GPU

Higher resolution screen

OLED screen

1GB+ of RAM

High capacity battery

Small frame around screen

An overall light weight for the phone

Respectable and reasonable price

Metal unibody build

Availability in other colours

3.5mm audio jack that works with third-party headphones

HDMI port with mirroring capabilities

Solar panel on battery cover

8 mega pixel camera with high quality optics

1080p/30fps full hd camcorder

Optimised kernel with tight coding

Official accessories

:D

Edited by NeostarNeko

Guest Atomix86
A few things I'd like to see are...

Nvidia dual core CPU/GPU

Higher resolution screen

OLED screen

High capacity battery

Small frame around screen

An overall light weight for the phone

Respectable and reasonable price

Metal unibody build

Availability in other colours

3.5mm audio jack that works with third-party headphones

HDMI port with mirroring capabilities

Solar panel on battery cover

8 mega pixel camera with high quality optics

1080p/30fps full hd camcorder

Optimised kernel with tight coding

Official accessories

Very nice list, I agree with all of it except oled, for some reason almost all oled screens I have used have over saturated colours.