battery % problem

Guest technomaniac

Guest technomaniac

Hi all,

Had my Vega a little while now and think it is great but this battery jumping down from 80% to 26% is very annoying. What is the general feeling about it? Is it fixable? Is it worth putting my Vega in for repair?

I am currently showing 8% but I know it is more like 58%, if I let it drop to zero will it just stop working or keep going till the battery dies?

Cheers techno

Does everyone get the problem or just some?

Edited by technomaniac

Hi all,

Had my Vega a little while now and think it is great but this battery jumping down from 80% to 26% is very annoying. What is the general feeling about it? Is it fixable? Is it worth putting my Vega in for repair?

I am currently showing 8% but I know it is more like 58%, if I let it drop to zero will it just stop working or keep going till the battery dies?

Cheers techno

Does everyone get the problem or just some?

It's common on many Android platforms. Anyway, you just need to wipe battery stats using clockworkmod. Some recommend fully charging the battery beforehand and then letting it run down completely afterwards, for maximum effect.

Guest phil8715

It's common on many Android platforms. Anyway, you just need to wipe battery stats using clockworkmod. Some recommend fully charging the battery beforehand and then letting it run down completely afterwards, for maximum effect.

I think this problem is unique to the Vega. I've tried charging and discharging till empty, wiping battery stats in ClockworkMod, but it didn't fix it.

I think this problem is unique to the Vega. I've tried charging and discharging till empty, wiping battery stats in ClockworkMod, but it didn't fix it.

You may actually have duff battery. Looking at Richardmlea's pictures,it looks like the battery is arranged as 6 stacks of 2, 3.7V cells. If one cell is open, you lose about 17% capacity. Also, this type of battery loses around 20% capacity per year; worse if you keep it fully charged most of the time, draw high currents (high brightness, overclock) or store/use it in hot places.

Guest technomaniac

Me to. I think I will send it back as this is not something I am prepared to just live with. I remember when I first got the Vega it was totally flat out of the box which I found strange. Has anyone else sent their Vega back for this problem? How did it go?

Cheers Techno

Guest technomaniac

Ok I have arranged for it to go back. To get it back to stock do I just flash the image from myvega? Is the problem Roman related?

Cheers techno

Guest technomaniac

Ok I have arranged for it to go back. To get it back to stock do I just flash the image from myvega? Is the problem Rom related?

Cheers techno

Edited by technomaniac

Guest technomaniac

Just an update.

I am now back to the stock 1.10 image and have decided to test if I still have the problem so I am giving the vega a good charge. Once it is charged how do I clear the battery stats on the stock image as I can not install clockwork now.

Do I need to clear the stats or just charge it and see how it goes?

Any advice greatfully recived as I am sure I am not alone with this problem.

Cheers techno

Just an update.

I am now back to the stock 1.10 image and have decided to test if I still have the problem so I am giving the vega a good charge. Once it is charged how do I clear the battery stats on the stock image as I can not install clockwork now.

Do I need to clear the stats or just charge it and see how it goes?

Any advice greatfully recived as I am sure I am not alone with this problem.

Cheers techno

You can download Rommanager from here.

Guest technomaniac

thanks but I can not install cloackwork because I am back to stock.

On a side note this thing sucks on stock and my battery has gone down 3% just posting this, anyway the big test will be when I turn it on in the morning.

cheeers techno

Guest technomaniac

well two hours use with wifi and some games on stock rom, down to 85% which is great. shutdown a few times and no % problems yet. I have only used convus with sp1, could this be rom related? I will keep testing and post back.

cheers techno

well two hours use with wifi and some games on stock rom, down to 85% which is great. shutdown a few times and no % problems yet. I have only used convus with sp1, could this be rom related? I will keep testing and post back.

cheers techno

Yes, it could be ROM relared. If your power seems to drain suddenly, or when you're the Vega is switched off, try resetting the stats first.

You can install Rommanager on stock ROM (including clockworkmod) from androidbrain (the link I provided in my previous post).

Edited by lesd

Guest phil8715

Yes, it could be ROM relared. If your power seems to drain suddenly, or when you're the Vega is switched off, try resetting the stats first.

You can install Rommanager on stock ROM (including clockworkmod) from androidbrain (the link I provided in my previous post).

This problem is not rom related. I've tried every rom available on my Vega and had the same problem.

Also don't use Rom Manager to flash back to stock because it has to be reflashed via the ADB route which means connecting it to a pc and putting it into recovery.

Guest technomaniac

have you tried the stoock 1.10 because I turned my vega on this morning and it is showing 81% same as when I turned it off last night. Will keep testing and poast back, looks like i will not be able to return it but we will see.

cheers tehno

This problem is not rom related. I've tried every rom available on my Vega and had the same problem.

Also don't use Rom Manager to flash back to stock because it has to be reflashed via the ADB route which means connecting it to a pc and putting it into recovery.

Phil, your problem may not be ROM related, but Technomaniac's clearly is. If your problem is apparent when using the stock ROM, take it back to PCW. It can't be more than a year old and is still in guarantee.

Technomaniac, your problem is clearly a software problem. I, and many others have had the same problem runniing Corvus 5 and SP1. I reset the battery stats a couple of eeeks ago, and have not had the problem since. If you've done a nandroid backup of your Corvus 5 installation, I recommend you do a clean install of Corvus5 and SP1, then restore only the data (which includes all your apps) rather than a full backup, then reset battery stats.

Edited by lesd

Guest technomaniac

hi phil, thanks for your reply. Not sure I will bother with corvus again as it does not seem to like my vega. I wonder what it is that breaks the battery stats for some but not others. By the way i did do the whole stats resetting thing without any luck. Still no trouble with this stock rom ( Except the wifi keep dropping out). What I might do is install the new modded stock v2 and use that untill a good honeycomb comes along.

cheers techno

Guest ThomasAstor

I was curious reading about the battery. Until the last two days, when my battery started to go from 100 to 90% in few minutes. Then woke up and went from 86 to 26%. Thought ok, an over night stand by. But in 10 mn, it went from 26 to switch off.

I remember using my Vega for hours, browsing internet, watching videos and reading pdf and the battery would remained around 50%.

Something is not right. I did wipe the battery stats with Rom Manager, but it made it worst. It switched off, so I will recharge it and wipe the stats again. Will see.

T.

Guest simonta

To everyone having problems with the battery. There is no easy answer. There is nothing wrong with the battery; there is nothing wrong with the charger; there is nothing wrong with the Vega. It's a software problem and AFAIK, exists in all current Vega ROMs. The battery indicator does not update when it's in standby. So you put it to sleep at % percent, if uses y% during sleep (because WiFi and all kinds of services are using power) then when you bring it out of sleep, it take quite some time to resynch itself.

On first appearance, it might show the same value as when it went to sleep or a reasonably high value but within a few minutes, gets it's act together and shows the true charge. Even then, it might not show the true charge is the battery stats are wrong. There are some set procedures to reset the stats on this forum and others. Deleting the battery stats file in itself is not enough. Search for battery calibration+batterystats.bin. If you change ROMs, you must do it again. if you just delete batterystats.bin without calibrating, it won't be reliable. But, if you do calibrate, then just getting used to the fact it doesn't update in standby is easy.

I think a lot of people don't understand the difference between power off and standby also. In standby, on anything other than mcr, WiFi is still on and any apps doing regular updates, notifications etc are using power - and WiFi uses a lot. If you power off, the Vega will use very little power- enough for days or weeks of sitting there doing nothing!

In short, learn to live with it, wait for someone to fix it or get another tablet. Nothing DSG can do and asking for a replacement will leave you in the same position. I also doubt a fix will be here any time soon as it's a low priority thing. I reckon most people care about actual life rather than the indicator.

If you doubt this, simply charge it up then use it. 5-6 hours of constant use with video/music playback etc and 7-8 with just surfing, email and so on. You can also use any one of a number of apps to see the battery health and true instantaneous charge. Widgets that show charge constantly are, AFAIK, afflicted by the same problem as they use the same API as Android itself but that's as much a guess as anything.

Sorry, but that's it!

Edited by simonta

Guest technomaniac

yes that's what i worked out, the manager in currys tried to make me have a repair because of the 21 day limit. But i said there was no point as it was faulty out off the box, had the latest software and no one was going to be able to fix it. i got a full refund in the end. cheers techno

Edited by technomaniac

To everyone having problems with the battery. There is no easy answer. There is nothing wrong with the battery; there is nothing wrong with the charger; there is nothing wrong with the Vega. It's a software problem and AFAIK, exists in all current Vega ROMs. The battery indicator does not update when it's in standby. So you put it to sleep at % percent, if uses y% during sleep (because WiFi and all kinds of services are using power) then when you bring it out of sleep, it take quite some time to resynch itself.

On first appearance, it might show the same value as when it went to sleep or a reasonably high value but within a few minutes, gets it's act together and shows the true charge. Even then, it might not show the true charge is the battery stats are wrong. There are some set procedures to reset the stats on this forum and others. Deleting the battery stats file in itself is not enough. Search for battery calibration+batterystats.bin. If you change ROMs, you must do it again. if you just delete batterystats.bin without calibrating, it won't be reliable. But, if you do calibrate, then just getting used to the fact it doesn't update in standby is easy.

I think a lot of people don't understand the difference between power off and standby also. In standby, on anything other than mcr, WiFi is still on and any apps doing regular updates, notifications etc are using power - and WiFi uses a lot. If you power off, the Vega will use very little power- enough for days or weeks of sitting there doing nothing!

In short, learn to live with it, wait for someone to fix it or get another tablet. Nothing DSG can do and asking for a replacement will leave you in the same position. I also doubt a fix will be here any time soon as it's a low priority thing. I reckon most people care about actual life rather than the indicator.

If you doubt this, simply charge it up then use it. 5-6 hours of constant use with video/music playback etc and 7-8 with just surfing, email and so on. You can also use any one of a number of apps to see the battery health and true instantaneous charge. Widgets that show charge constantly are, AFAIK, afflicted by the same problem as they use the same API as Android itself but that's as much a guess as anything.

Sorry, but that's it!

So, I've just left my Vega (modded stock ROM V1, Corvus 5 + SP1) in standby (short press on the power button) for 2hours. No change in the battery indicator level, 30 seconds after switch on. Currently 2% down on what it was at switch on, after a few minutes. From this I can conclude:

1 The wifi on this Vega tablet is not using power in standby.

2 There's nothing wrong with my battery

3 There's nothing wrong with my battery indicator.

However, there was at one point, something wrong with the battery indicator; similar to the problem reported by technomaniac. That is, if I switched it off (using the power off option on the menu), and then turned it on again 10 minutrs later, the battery indicator reported a sudden drop from 58% to 27% (AFAIR).

I reset the battery stats using the version of CWM that came with the modded stock ROM, V3.0.2.7, I think, and have had my battery status reported in line with my expectations.

If you have the problem I've just described, then when your battery indicator gets down to 11%, you'll get a warning telling you to plug the charger in. Then again at 5%. I don't know what happens after that on Vega, because I plugged it in, but on Archos devices, you get another warning at 2%, and 1%, then it shuts down. In other words, if you have the problem described above, you may not get the full 7 hours of internet browsing.

There is another battery problem that will become more apparent as Vega's pass their first birthday: The battery loses capacity. With the brightness turn down, and bluetooth offf, you can expect the battery on a new Vega to run down at around 12% per hour when browsing. After a year, that figure becomes 15%. If your battery is running down much faster than that, check your brightness, bluetooth and anything you've got attached to the Vega, reset the stats using the latest version of CWM, and that doesn't work, take it back. You have aright to expect products to work as advertised. They won't give you your money back or replace it, but if your battery is OK, and your vega is OK then there is no reason they can't get your battery indicator working as well as mine.

Sorry, but that's it!

So, I've just left my Vega (modded stock ROM V1, Corvus 5 + SP1) in standby (short press on the power button) for 2hours. No change in the battery indicator level, 30 seconds after switch on. Currently 2% down on what it was at switch on, after a few minutes. From this I can conclude:

2 There's nothing wrong with my battery

3 There's nothing wrong with my battery indicator.

However, there was at one point, something wrong with the battery indicator; similar to the problem reported by technomaniac. That is, if I switched it off (using the power off option on the menu), and then turned it on again 10 minutrs later, the battery indicator reported a sudden drop from 58% to 27% (AFAIR).

I reset the battery stats using the version of CWM that came with the modded stock ROM, V3.0.2.7, I think, and have had my battery status reported in line with my expectations ever since.

If you have the problem I've just described, then when your battery indicator gets down to 11%, you'll get a warning telling you to plug the charger in. Then again at 5%. I don't know what happens after that on Vega, because I plugged it in, but on Archos devices, you get another warning at 2%, and 1%, then it shuts down. In other words, if you have the problem described above, you may not get the full 7 hours of internet browsing.

There is another battery problem that will become more apparent as Vega's pass their first birthday: The battery loses capacity. With the brightness turned down, and bluetooth offf, you can expect the battery on a new Vega to run down at around 12% per hour when browsing. After a year, that figure becomes 15%. If your battery is running down much faster than that, check your brightness, bluetooth and anything you've got attached to the Vega, reset the stats using the latest version of CWM, and that doesn't work, take it back. You have aright to expect products to work as advertised. They won't give you your money back or replace it, but if your battery is OK, and your vega is OK then there is no reason they can't get your battery indicator working as well as mine.

Edited by lesd

Guest simonta

Did you change the Wifi policy? The default for Corvus5 is for Wifi on in standby.

Did you change the Wifi policy? The default for Corvus5 is for Wifi on in standby.

No. I don,t actually know how to do that, and I can't see anything in the settings app. Maybe SP1 changes the policy, or maybe I've changed it without realising.

I think a lot of people may have bought the vega without realising what 'under development' means to the end user. I mean, the Vega was one of the first Android tablets available, and that was less than a year ago. IMHO it has at least two very stable custom ROMs (I haven't tried Cyanogenmod yet), and many of the important apps have been upgraded. I think it would probably be worthwhile suggesting that anyone with a problem of the type technomaniac had should first try a clean reinstall as follows:

1 Do a nandroid backup.

2 Flash the standard upgrade image or Modded Stock ROM which will wipe the NVRAM

3 Install chosen custom ROM either with CWM or pushing from a PC.

4 Put your apps and data back using the advanced restore 'data' option in CWM

5 Reset battery stats with CWM

I think that might resolve many problems. More importantly, it means any developer will know what state the Vega was in when the fault occurs, and that gives them a fighting chance of tracking bugs down.

What do you think?

Edited by lesd