Unlocking The Orange Monte Carlo

Guest lordjubblydave

Guest FelixL

R$bool.smali:.field public static final sim_network_unlock_allow_dismiss:I = 0x7f090001

R$layout.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock:I = 0x7f030020

R$string.smali:.field public static final enter_network_unlock_code:I = 0x7f0c030f

R$string.smali:.field public static final label_network_unlock_titile:I = 0x7f0c030e

R$string.smali:.field public static final requesting_sim_unlock:I = 0x7f0c0072

R$string.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock_dismiss_text:I = 0x7f0c01a0

R$string.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock_failed:I = 0x7f0c007d

R$string.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock_status_text:I = 0x7f0c01a2

R$string.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock_success:I = 0x7f0c0088

R$string.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock_unlock_text:I = 0x7f0c01a1

Those are just string resources and not real code. Funny though that there are some more listed than I found with other tools.

-->digging deeper

R$bool.smali:.field public static final sim_network_unlock_allow_dismiss:I = 0x7f090001

R$layout.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock:I = 0x7f030020

R$string.smali:.field public static final enter_network_unlock_code:I = 0x7f0c030f

R$string.smali:.field public static final label_network_unlock_titile:I = 0x7f0c030e

R$string.smali:.field public static final requesting_sim_unlock:I = 0x7f0c0072

R$string.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock_dismiss_text:I = 0x7f0c01a0

R$string.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock_failed:I = 0x7f0c007d

R$string.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock_status_text:I = 0x7f0c01a2

R$string.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock_success:I = 0x7f0c0088

R$string.smali:.field public static final sim_unlock_unlock_text:I = 0x7f0c01a1

Those are just string resources and not real code. Funny though that there are some more listed than I found with other tools.

-->digging deeper

if you are searching for use of those you may need to search for the literal eg 0x7f0c0088 rather than the name eg sim_unlock_success since if I remember correctly the reverse engineering doesn't match up the literal to the declaration.

I've had a good look through the Phone APK and all the frameworks and can't see anything that is going to help unlock. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

P

Guest sej7278

I've had a good look through the Phone APK and all the frameworks and can't see anything that is going to help unlock. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

i've pretty much come to that conclusion too, been mucking around with various tools and can't actually find any code (like a dex or class) in the de-odex'ed phone app other than some string references that don't seem to be called anywhere!

its got to be in one of the apps somewhere though, as there would have to be some clientside check on unlock codes given by orange.

unless only the zte skate is unlockable (maybe factory hardware mod?) not the OMC..... :(

what about this from GSMPhone.smali from framework.odex (com.android.internal.telephony.gsm):

# static fields

.field private static final ACTION_UNLOCK_NETWORK:Ljava/lang/String; = "android.intent.action.UNLOCK_NETWORK"

.field public static final CIPHERING_KEY:Ljava/lang/String; = "ciphering_key"

.field private static final LOCAL_DEBUG:Z = true

.field static final LOG_TAG:Ljava/lang/String; = "GSM"

.field public static final VM_NUMBER:Ljava/lang/String; = "vm_number_key"

.field public static final VM_SIM_IMSI:Ljava/lang/String; = "vm_sim_imsi_key"

Edited by sej7278

Guest ididmytime

unless only the zte skate is unlockable (maybe factory hardware mod?) not the OMC..... :(

Surely Orange would learn from their mistake with the SF, they knew it was going to be modded to high heaven on release day.

No Joy, using www.unlock-hub.co.UK :(

So any other unlocking site tried then?

I saw a couple of links for cheap ones (~£3) in Google advertised search results that claim to unlock any phone on UK networks ;) Since I don't have the phone so cannot give them any IMEI to try them out.

Guest Stevieblueyez

Do those things that you slip over your Sim Card work with Android Phones too? Had one for my old Nokia N95 that I got from deal extreme (like this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/i-smart-phone-operator-network-sim-card-unlock-attachment-21553)

I know it's not going to help in the grand scheme of things, but might work if anyone desperately wants to have a MC on a non-Orange network.

Guest FelixL

if you are searching for use of those you may need to search for the literal eg 0x7f0c0088 rather than the name eg sim_unlock_success since if I remember correctly the reverse engineering doesn't match up the literal to the declaration.

That's right. By the way I also tried dex2jar and jd-gui, which gives quite great Java-code, but some of the strings above where missing, like enter_network_unlock_code. Also, if you use dex2jar you will end up with decimals instead of hex. Some of the existing strings where never used inside phone.apk, but that doesn't need to mean anything. Maybe they where missing because I used another ROM? Can't imagine because of the short time the OMC is available, bust just to mention, I used the StockRom from the pinned topic: update-OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05-skate-unsigned.

Edited by FelixL

Guest Frankish

Do those things that you slip over your Sim Card work with Android Phones too? Had one for my old Nokia N95 that I got from deal extreme (like this one: http://www.dealextre...ttachment-21553)

I know it's not going to help in the grand scheme of things, but might work if anyone desperately wants to have a MC on a non-Orange network.

Yeah those do work. I remember getting one for my HTC Tattoo though and it would only let me use 2G. I'm sure newer ones work better though :D

Surely Orange would learn from their mistake with the SF, they knew it was going to be modded to high heaven on release day.

It's only because the Blade was cheap and easy to unlock that it's been so successful, it would look rather bad for ZTE if their new phone did't take off, which is what will happen if it can't be unlocked.

Guest The Soup Thief

It's only because the Blade was cheap and easy to unlock that it's been so successful, it would look rather bad for ZTE if their new phone did't take off, which is what will happen if it can't be unlocked.

Absolutely - don't want to sound like a nay-sayer, but after all this initial excitement, if it stays locked to Orange people are gonna be a bit less enthusiastic about it and it's performance shortcomings will come more to the fore I reckon

All the same, my sister is, I'd say, a pretty average San Francisco user and though I unlocked her phone she's stayed with Orange and would probably appreciate the extra screen size (cept she has a blade already so wouldn't buy one of these) - so among regular users, I'd say this might have some significant appeal, even locked

I'd be interested to find out what proportion of San Franciscos in the wild are still on Orange

One has to assume Orange have that info (if only in terms of number accounts being topped up regularly versus initial hardware sales). A good chunk of their decision to lock more tightly or not would be a numbers game like this

All this said, one has to admire Paul's confidence, that the unlocking solution is a matter of "when", not "if" :) [edit - at least, it was in his review - he seems a bit less confident above :huh: ]

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest wrtease

well its down to trying out software that might work.their should be a list of software tried and results of fail or working.the only way to get their some how.just a thought.

Guest Christian Edwards

Quick question about SIM locks,

I love my OSF and have ordered the New Monte Carlo for delivery tomorrow.

I hoped to use my work SIM in it which is Orange anyway.

Will that work or does SIM locking lock it to the exact SIM it was bought with.

Guest Frankish
Don't worry will do, you should pick up a Monte Carlo, too we could do with some of your themes

I'd love to pick one up but can't really afford one for now. If I get one ill be selling my Defy for it. My little girl gets all my spare money!

Themes would have to come I couldn't stick with the stock look!

Guest Frankish
Quick question about SIM locks,

I love my OSF and have ordered the New Monte Carlo for delivery tomorrow.

I hoped to use my work SIM in it which is Orange anyway.

Will that work or does SIM locking lock it to the exact SIM it was bought with.

Only same network. Same sim would be silly!

Guest Christian Edwards

Only as silly as SIM locking is anyway.

Orange won't make any extra money out of me when using my work SIM instead of the PAYG one.

You will need a custom rom which has been resigned, but after that it might be easy, if it's like a Blade.

Decompile Phone.apk with apktool, then edit /res/values/bools.xml make sure the top line is set to 'true' so that it looks like this...

<bool name="ignore_sim_network_locked_events">true</bool>

Recompile, resign, adb push, reboot.

Untested, btw, I don't have a Skate, I'm just messing with the rom & that looked like a likely option. I have the Skate rom running on my Blade, but it seems to ignore the blade's network lock anyway.

Guest KonstaT

You will need a custom rom which has been resigned, but after that it might be easy, if it's like a Blade.

Decompile Phone.apk with apktool, then edit /res/values/bools.xml make sure the top line is set to 'true' so that it looks like this...

<bool name="ignore_sim_network_locked_events">true</bool>

Recompile, resign, adb push, reboot.

Untested, btw, I don't have a Skate, I'm just messing with the rom & that looked like a likely option. I have the Skate rom running on my Blade, but it seems to ignore the blade's network lock anyway.

I tested this with Blade's Telenor Hungary network locked 2.2.2 update. It didn't work with that one. It seemed like the obvious option but no luck. I got that ROM unlocked by replacing the Phone.apk from another 2.2.2 ROM. So the network lock should be somewhere in the Phone.apk even though I couldn't never find it.

Would it be too hacky solution to try Phone.apk from Blade's leaked gingerbread with Skate's ROM? I don't have a Skate to play with either...

I tested this with Blade's Telenor Hungary network locked 2.2.2 update. It didn't work with that one. It seemed like the obvious option but no luck. I got that ROM unlocked by replacing the Phone.apk from another 2.2.2 ROM. So the network lock should be somewhere in the Phone.apk even though I couldn't never find it.

Would it be too hacky solution to try Phone.apk from Blade's leaked gingerbread with Skate's ROM? I don't have a Skate to play with either...

I got my OMC today and I am willing to try this out if a ROM with this hack is made available to be flashed via Paul's clockworkrecovery.