Well I finally got my Samsung Galaxy S II. After a spell with Windows Mobile handsets, HTC Tytn II and Samsung Omnia, I crossed to the darkside of iPhone 3, iPhone 3GS. I was never sure about the iPhone 4, so decided to bide my time and kept the 3GS. I was desperate to play with Android, so leapt at the chance and bought a San Francisco (ZTE Blade), which I thought was awesome.
I finally had my contract update yesterday and decided upon the Samsung Galaxy S II. I had also considered the Motorola Atrix, and the HTC Sensation. From reading the reviews, the Samsung is the best out there so far. I was curious by the LG Optimus 3G, but had a play with one in the shop ... and I hated it!!
So, there's me with my Samsung Galaxy S II., from T-Mobile UK. I spoke to Paul on twitter yesterday with regards to which ROM etc ... and he advised me to update it to KG6 firmware. Which I have done.
I thought I'd start this thread to encourage a little more discussion.
Things I want to find out:
Do I need to root?-> Done here : http://android.modac...ost__p__1779271
- Replacements for all my iPhone apps.
- Whether to purchase a sat nav app or just to use google maps. (On winmo and iPhone I have CoPilot)
Better media player to deal with all video types-> vPlayer or RockPlayer Understand which clock replacement I need to allow it to have a "bedside" mode. -> clock app called Bedside Clock. Was hoping for a replacement clock same as on the Blade, but no dramas.
- Find out if there is a way to enable sound profiles. Eg ... night time = just allows calls and morning alarm clock, daytime all alerts, meeting vibrate only, outside loud.
- Way to remove all the samsung bloatware, I'm not particularly fussed by the game hub, reading hub etc.
- Best app for social feed from facebook, twitter etc. Are standalone apps best, or one "social stream" widget?
- Why does my keyboard still make a noise even when I've turned the sound off ?? Most frustrating!
- Best voice control app of the lot? Samsung built in one or google? Im referring specifically to using in car and saying "Call Paul O'Brien Mobile".
- Will the "Beautiful Widgets, animated wallpaper" have a huge impact on battery life? Should I disable? I don't mind eye candy if it isn't going to kill the battery!
- Car : My current car needs an FM tuner for music, can anyone recommend a good one? I'm later planning to change the car bluetooth kit to one which supports A2DP.
- Best way to get music from iTunes onto Android Handset?
I need a good fast 32GB SDHC card. I'm assuming Sandisk, and a fast speed I'm guessing class 4 (will it handle faster). -> Ordered 32GB Class 4, as the class 10 were twice the price.
Things I've installed (not just apps):
Rooted via http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1103399