10 replies to this topic

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200
Hi guys. I used to hang around the Blade forums but then sold mine to my brother and got a Moto Defy. Don't really have an issue with it other than the fact i would like a bigger screen! Whatever i decide i'm getting a new phone March next year anyway so...

From what i figure the pluses of my Defy...

Rugged (I'm careful anyway)
Roms galore. We got Moto roms from 2.1 to 2.3 (leak) and very stable CM7 and MIUI.
Flash although i never use it anyway.

Pluses for OMC...

Larger screen
Modaco Community probably will grow to Blade proportions! I always preferred it here than XDA.

I am well aware i would lose flash support and MIUI. (CM7 would come eventually i'm sure!) But other than that i'm not sure what disadvantages there would be. I know they both have 800mhz processors however i'm not sure how they would compare to eachother really. I've seen the Defy OC stable to 1.3ghz. I doubt the OMC would go that high but that's not an issue really.

Just looking for opinions really for a bit of fun i know i haven't made my mind up yet. Both have an LCD screen too right? I know the Defy does.

ididmytime

ididmytime

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Hi guys. I used to hang around the Blade forums but then sold mine to my brother and got a Moto Defy. Don't really have an issue with it other than the fact i would like a bigger screen! Whatever i decide i'm getting a new phone March next year anyway so...

From what i figure the pluses of my Defy...

Rugged (I'm careful anyway)
Roms galore. We got Moto roms from 2.1 to 2.3 (leak) and very stable CM7 and MIUI.
Flash although i never use it anyway.

Pluses for OMC...

Larger screen
Modaco Community probably will grow to Blade proportions! I always preferred it here than XDA.

I am well aware i would lose flash support and MIUI. (CM7 would come eventually i'm sure!) But other than that i'm not sure what disadvantages there would be. I know they both have 800mhz processors however i'm not sure how they would compare to eachother really. I've seen the Defy OC stable to 1.3ghz. I doubt the OMC would go that high but that's not an issue really.

Just looking for opinions really for a bit of fun i know i haven't made my mind up yet. Both have an LCD screen too right? I know the Defy does.

I consider both phones to be low end - I wouldn't give up an armv7 device for an armv6 however, regardless of the screen. I'd wait it out until March.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,222 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
The Defy is a lot smoother and quicker than the MC.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

sej7278

sej7278

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade

yes, somehow my friend's defy is getting around 2000 quadrants at 1ghz (similar to defy+) as opposed to 950 for and blade at 710mhz, and some crazy fsckers seem to have managed 1.5ghz overclocks on an 800mhz chip somehow!

but then the price for a defy is £250 not £160 and you have all of the moto blur crap - cm7 is coming along but have they even unlocked the defy bootloader yet, or do you still have to do the "dual boot" workaround thing or use a leaked 2.3 rom?

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,222 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Second-run-quadrant on the MC - a shockingly low 798. :blink:

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

I consider both phones to be low end - I wouldn't give up an armv7 device for an armv6 however, regardless of the screen. I'd wait it out until March.

I like to change device a lot. I could get enough for my Defy to cover the cost of the MC so I wouldn't be losing out.

P

Hmm I guess the omap is just a better processor even at same clock speed?

yes, somehow my friend's defy is getting around 2000 quadrants at 1ghz (similar to defy+) as opposed to 950 for and blade at 710mhz, and some crazy fsckers seem to have managed 1.5ghz overclocks on an 800mhz chip somehow!

but then the price for a defy is £250 not £160 and you have all of the moto blur crap - cm7 is coming along but have they even unlocked the defy bootloader yet, or do you still have to do the "dual boot" workaround thing or use a leaked 2.3 rom?

No unlocked bootloader but it's all very easy. Install a froyo rom, install 2nd init. Install rom of choice. After that you can just flash roms from recovery like normal.

Advantage is its very hard to brick a defy.

Second-run-quadrant on the MC - a shockingly low 798. P

That is shocking... How can it be so bad?

Edited by Frankish, 09 August 2011 - 03:10 PM.

sej7278

sej7278

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Second-run-quadrant on the MC - a shockingly low 798. :blink:

ouch! blade at stock 600mhz is 715 quads as i recall. what have they done to it to make it that bad?! is this with your rom paul or the orange bloat?

Atomix86

Atomix86

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Devices:See sig
Definitely stick with the defy, it might be mid-low end, but the skate is budget (so perfect for new users or second phones) and performs as such.

Nasty budget phones, begone! Hello sexy brand new Galaxy S2!

Pelemane

Pelemane

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade & Huawei U8800

Huawei Ideos X5 can be overclocked to 1,9GHz and it has 800MHz chip too. That's pretty amazing.

sej7278

sej7278

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Huawei Ideos X5 can be overclocked to 1,9GHz and it has 800MHz chip too. That's pretty amazing.

that might be what i'm thinking of (u8800) although i know the defy can go a fair way too (certainly over 1ghz).

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
My defy i've had at 1.2ghz for ages but I think the managed stable 1.4 :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users