Defy to OMC?

Guest Frankish

Guest Frankish

Hi guys. I used to hang around the Blade forums but then sold mine to my brother and got a Moto Defy. Don't really have an issue with it other than the fact i would like a bigger screen! Whatever i decide i'm getting a new phone March next year anyway so...

From what i figure the pluses of my Defy...

Rugged (I'm careful anyway)

Roms galore. We got Moto roms from 2.1 to 2.3 (leak) and very stable CM7 and MIUI.

Flash although i never use it anyway.

Pluses for OMC...

Larger screen

Modaco Community probably will grow to Blade proportions! I always preferred it here than XDA.

I am well aware i would lose flash support and MIUI. (CM7 would come eventually i'm sure!) But other than that i'm not sure what disadvantages there would be. I know they both have 800mhz processors however i'm not sure how they would compare to eachother really. I've seen the Defy OC stable to 1.3ghz. I doubt the OMC would go that high but that's not an issue really.

Just looking for opinions really for a bit of fun i know i haven't made my mind up yet. Both have an LCD screen too right? I know the Defy does.

Guest ididmytime

Hi guys. I used to hang around the Blade forums but then sold mine to my brother and got a Moto Defy. Don't really have an issue with it other than the fact i would like a bigger screen! Whatever i decide i'm getting a new phone March next year anyway so...

From what i figure the pluses of my Defy...

Rugged (I'm careful anyway)

Roms galore. We got Moto roms from 2.1 to 2.3 (leak) and very stable CM7 and MIUI.

Flash although i never use it anyway.

Pluses for OMC...

Larger screen

Modaco Community probably will grow to Blade proportions! I always preferred it here than XDA.

I am well aware i would lose flash support and MIUI. (CM7 would come eventually i'm sure!) But other than that i'm not sure what disadvantages there would be. I know they both have 800mhz processors however i'm not sure how they would compare to eachother really. I've seen the Defy OC stable to 1.3ghz. I doubt the OMC would go that high but that's not an issue really.

Just looking for opinions really for a bit of fun i know i haven't made my mind up yet. Both have an LCD screen too right? I know the Defy does.

I consider both phones to be low end - I wouldn't give up an armv7 device for an armv6 however, regardless of the screen. I'd wait it out until March.

Guest sej7278

The Defy is a lot smoother and quicker than the MC.

yes, somehow my friend's defy is getting around 2000 quadrants at 1ghz (similar to defy+) as opposed to 950 for and blade at 710mhz, and some crazy fsckers seem to have managed 1.5ghz overclocks on an 800mhz chip somehow!

but then the price for a defy is £250 not £160 and you have all of the moto blur crap - cm7 is coming along but have they even unlocked the defy bootloader yet, or do you still have to do the "dual boot" workaround thing or use a leaked 2.3 rom?

Guest Frankish

I consider both phones to be low end - I wouldn't give up an armv7 device for an armv6 however, regardless of the screen. I'd wait it out until March.

I like to change device a lot. I could get enough for my Defy to cover the cost of the MC so I wouldn't be losing out.

The Defy is a lot smoother and quicker than the MC.

P

Hmm I guess the omap is just a better processor even at same clock speed?

yes, somehow my friend's defy is getting around 2000 quadrants at 1ghz (similar to defy+) as opposed to 950 for and blade at 710mhz, and some crazy fsckers seem to have managed 1.5ghz overclocks on an 800mhz chip somehow!

but then the price for a defy is £250 not £160 and you have all of the moto blur crap - cm7 is coming along but have they even unlocked the defy bootloader yet, or do you still have to do the "dual boot" workaround thing or use a leaked 2.3 rom?

No unlocked bootloader but it's all very easy. Install a froyo rom, install 2nd init. Install rom of choice. After that you can just flash roms from recovery like normal.

Advantage is its very hard to brick a defy.

Second-run-quadrant on the MC - a shockingly low 798. P
That is shocking... How can it be so bad? Edited by Frankish

Guest sej7278

Second-run-quadrant on the MC - a shockingly low 798. :blink:

ouch! blade at stock 600mhz is 715 quads as i recall. what have they done to it to make it that bad?! is this with your rom paul or the orange bloat?

Guest Atomix86

Definitely stick with the defy, it might be mid-low end, but the skate is budget (so perfect for new users or second phones) and performs as such.

Guest Pelemane

Huawei Ideos X5 can be overclocked to 1,9GHz and it has 800MHz chip too. That's pretty amazing.

Guest sej7278

Huawei Ideos X5 can be overclocked to 1,9GHz and it has 800MHz chip too. That's pretty amazing.

that might be what i'm thinking of (u8800) although i know the defy can go a fair way too (certainly over 1ghz).