Hacking Skate for Blade?

Guest sej7278

Guest Pelemane

Back to topic: One great dev gave me earlier pretty raw port from Skate.

Everything is working (3G, wifi, gps, sensors etc.) It is fast, but pop up windows lag e.g. if you press "restart launcherpro" in launcherpro settings, the confirm thing pops up and lags.That's only problem I have found in this. I got 801 Quadrant on it then. Removing Orange bloatware didn't change quadrant much (I get 805-810 now), but made it feel a lot snappier. But wbaw is working on it too and I can't wait him to release it.

(not gonna tell who gave it 'cause I don't want you guys to go bug him about that port. Just wait for wbaw to get his magic done. Shouldn't take long, I guess.)

Edited by Pelemane

Guest t0mm13b

adb lolcat ?

is it not adb logcat with a g ?

Actually, that is an undocumented google's thing - an easter egg if you will :D

The command does work... ;)

Shows the sense of humour by google!!! :D

Guest Simon O

I did it yesterday. Still problems with bluetooth & native wifi tether.

I hate to be a killjoy but I'm going to do it anyway (sorry). Is there really any advantage hacking a Skate ROM to function on the Blade when the Blade already has a fully functional Gingerbread ROM?

I hate to be a killjoy but I'm going to do it anyway (sorry). Is there really any advantage hacking a Skate ROM to function on the Blade when the Blade already has a fully functional Gingerbread ROM?

Not much, it's very similar to the Blade gingerbread leak, but it fixes some bugs, it was an unfinished development version of gingerbread from a few months ago that leaked rather than a fully functional (or as close as zte gets to that) released one. I had to copy a lot of things directly from the blade gingerbread leak to make it work, so obviously those parts aren't improved.

It has dolby sound processing for the stock music app, which works very well, that seems to be the only new feature. Logcat works now too, instead of having errors spammed to it 10 times per second constantly. Lots of lib files were updated including media decoders, etc. Browser app, music app & a few other things were updated.

Wifi tether works with a 3rd party app, just not the native version. So it's just bluetooth that has real issues, maybe I can fix that too.

Edited by wbaw

Guest Sami Beck

Does it mean we could use future updates for the blade based off the skate?

Guest Simon O

Not much, it's very similar to the Blade gingerbread leak, but it fixes some bugs, it was an unfinished development version of gingerbread from a few months ago that leaked rather than a fully functional (or as close as zte gets to that) released one. I had to copy a lot of things directly from the blade gingerbread leak to make it work, so obviously those parts aren't improved.

It has dolby sound processing for the stock music app, which works very well, that seems to be the only new feature. Logcat works now too, instead of having errors spammed to it 10 times per second constantly. Lots of lib files were updated including media decoders, etc. Browser app, music app & a few other things were updated.

Wifi tether works with a 3rd party app, just not the native version. So it's just bluetooth that has real issues, maybe I can fix that too.

Ah that makes sense.. I wasn't aware that the Blade leak had little issues like that.

The blade leak was clearly a leaked development version, possibly one given to testers. It had lots of logging enabled & a few little bugs. One of the most annoying was the logcat spamming by surfaceflinger if gpu composition is enabled (disabled by default, but really speeds up the ui). The skate also has that dolby sound processing which is nice, it works very well. Browser was updated, music & video app updated, media decoders updated, camera driver updated, android runtime lib updated, surfaceflinger updated, etc. July build rather than May build.

ro.com.google.gmsversion=2.3_r5 vs ro.com.google.gmsversion=2.3_r3

However, the bluetooth stuff is built into the framework, phone apk too, there are 3 bluetooth apks, it wont be a simple job to get bluetooth working, so I'm going to have to give up on that. Maybe somebody who wants to spend more time on it could fix it.

Think I'd just missed a file for wifi tethering, should be able to fix that.

I think there are really just a few updated lib files that we can possibly use on the blade gingerbread leak, unless you dont care about bluetooth.

There is quite a lot on the skate rom that wont work without substituting files from the blade rom for almost all the important stuff, so once we get some proper blade zte gingerbread roms it'll be a bit pointless trying to port anything from the skate, especially if the blade updates have dolby sound like the orange monte carlo.

Edited by wbaw