wooly_sammoth

wooly_sammoth

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Racer Racerboy #224
Raceroms.co.uk is now back up.
Big apologies to anyone who wasn't able to download a ROM over the weekend.

My hosting company had a very strange way of dealing with me as a customer which was to suspend my hosting account, but not tell me why. The reason that they gave was that a script or scripts were causing a memory load issue and that I should optimise my scripts. They also claimed that they were unable to tell me which script was causing the issue as their servers weren't set up that way (they're set up wrong then in my opinion). Unfortunately in disabling my account, they also disabled my FTP access so I had no way to get to my files to optimise them. It took them over 48 hours to enable my FTP account despite me sending requests to them every few hours. I have finally managed to get my sites from their server.
I found the issue within 20 minutes but I don't want to host anything with a bunch of ass-hats who think it's OK to treat a customer like that.
raceroms.co.uk is now hosted on a nice new server from a hosting company with a much better reputation. I also have full root access so I am more in control of the site and will be able to fix any future issues much more quickly.

Apologies again for the downtime

wooly_sammoth

wooly_sammoth

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Doh! more apologies needed.

It seems tat several folders of ROMs didn't copy correctly from the old server so some links have been broken (sorry equiliym).
Luckily I haven;t told the old hosting copay where to go yet so still have the site as it was. I'm copying the important files now.

equiliym

equiliym

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Racer
  • Twitter:@equiliym
no problems mate, glad you were able to fix everything in the end.. we are grateful for your hosting anyhow :D

Suffering-oriented programming.. "First make it possible. Then make it beautiful. Then make it fast."
if i helped please press the vote up button :3

Rahulj85

Rahulj85

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
This is great stuff..All roms under one roof..nice work man!

wooly_sammoth

wooly_sammoth

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks everyone for the kind words.
All the ROM links should be working again now. If anyone spots anything which isn't working, just give me a poke and I'll get it sorted as soon as I can.

One of the many benefits of the new server is that I can install all sorts of stats reporting tools on it. I'll give a few stats here while I figure out a way of making the reports public without giving away too much information which could make the site easy to hack.

Since the site has been on the new server (Sunday 16th October) there have been 310 unique visitors to the site who between them downloaded 18.84 GB of ROMs. The majority of the visitors were from Brazil and 88.7% of them added the site to their favourites.

Edited by wooly_sammoth, 19 October 2011 - 10:33 AM.

equiliym

equiliym

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Since the site has been on the new server (Sunday 16th October) there have been 310 unique visitors to the site who between them downloaded 18.84 GB of ROMs. The majority of the visitors were from Brazil and 88.7% of them added the site to their favourites.

hahaha, sweet.. thats a real stats improvement :DD good job wooly

Suffering-oriented programming.. "First make it possible. Then make it beautiful. Then make it fast."

wooly_sammoth

wooly_sammoth

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Blimey, yesterday was busy on raceroms. Equiliym, you've taken the top spot in the most popular ROM list by quite a large lead.
It looks like most of the 2471 unique visits came from China but the site is getting linked to from all over the world. I'm just glad the new server stood up to the number of requests it was getting, 10563 hits yesterday alone!

Racerboy

Racerboy

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Devices:hTC Explorer / Donated Racer
wow thats alot of hits, i was like WTF when i looked last night, game on Equiliym :lol: but will you keep the top spot this time next week :unsure: who knows!!!!

Find ALL my 2.3.7 cm7 ROMS HERE and ICSv5-MOD-ROM HERE @ raceroms

Latest LeWa ported ROM HERE

PM`s for help WONT be answered

equiliym

equiliym

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

wow thats alot of hits, i was like WTF when i looked last night, game on Equiliym :lol: but will you keep the top spot this time next week :unsure: who knows!!!!

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED xD maybe i should update both sense and miui like roms but i just cant find the time do to so :(

lfernandes

lfernandes

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:ZTE RACER (SOFTSTONE TMN)
Can´t download Market version 3.1.3, I click on it but nothing appends.

Racerboy

Racerboy

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Can´t download Market version 3.1.3, I click on it but nothing appends.

you can extract the vending.apk from the gapps package that contains v3.1.3 on my cm7 thread until wooly sorts it out :)

lfernandes

lfernandes

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:ZTE RACER (SOFTSTONE TMN)

you can extract the vending.apk from the gapps package that contains v3.1.3 on my cm7 thread until wooly sorts it out :)

Tanks, does that version works on 2.2 room?

Racerboy

Racerboy

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Tanks, does that version works on 2.2 room?

i dont think it will but you can try, just make backup first

Racerboy

Racerboy

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
Wooly is there alot of maintainance / backingup / transfering going on with your server........any chance you can let us know whats happening and when raceroms will be back online......thx

Edited by Racerboy, 14 January 2012 - 08:50 PM.

equiliym

equiliym

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
something is really wrong with the hosting, even ftp doesnt work anymore :o

plegdroid

plegdroid

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts
  • Interests:house music, science, technology ,history
  • Devices:LG Nexus 4 . PA. 4.4
at the user end all iam getting is this :[

Attached Files

ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓢⓘⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ
4.2.2 -Test monkey.

wooly_sammoth

wooly_sammoth

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Morning All,

Apologies for the delay in posting this.

I'd like to say that the downtime on raceroms was in tribute to Racerboys' Racer kicking the bucket, but I'd be lying.
My server was hacked on Friday morning. I don't think it was anything to do with any website in particular, just someone seeing an opportunity and taking it. I noticed it first when all my website files were made read-only, then the OS was corrupted.
I take nightly backups to a different location so thought I'd just wipe the server, start again and reload from the backups.
I wiped the server and then found that my backups were corrupted (first mistake, note to self: check backups before wiping server). On top of that, there seemed to be a never ending stream of things which meant that the server never really got back to where it was. For example, I ran an OS update which updated my grub version only to find that there is a little documented bug which meant that my specific grub version clashed with the specific grub version being run by my hosting company, meaning that the server wouldn't start after a re-boot. a few hours later, the server gets wiped again and we start again. This plus caring for the baby and working has made the last few days a bit of a headache
The good news is that I have an old backup of the site (old = about 2 months). I have also been able to repair most of the corrupted backup file so the ROMs are safe. FTP access should be working now but the site itself will be offline until the evening when I get a chance to check the server config one last time before loading the main backup and making the site live. If you find a ROM which should be there but isn't after I say the site is live, Apologies. I am now taking a lot more precautions re backups so should the same thing happen again, the recovery should be much speedier.

I took my time in posting this as I wanted to have at least an estimated time of when the site would be active again.

sammoth

plegdroid

plegdroid

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts
  • Interests:house music, science, technology ,history
  • Devices:LG Nexus 4 . PA. 4.4
as always thank you, we do appreciate you have commitments and a life away from here, and this is done in your own time. no need to apologize ,but thanks again for your update regarding the matter :)

ⓐⓝⓓⓡⓞⓢⓘⓓⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓝⓞⓣ ⓐ ⓢⓘⓝ
4.2.2 -Test monkey.

Racerboy

Racerboy

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Morning All,

Apologies for the delay in posting this.

I'd like to say that the downtime on raceroms was in tribute to Racerboys' Racer kicking the bucket, but I'd be lying.

hehe lol it was a national day of mourning !!!!

glad the site is getting on its feet again....if theres any files that need re-uploading thats not a problem...........

wooly_sammoth

wooly_sammoth

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Evening,

Thanks for the understanding.

Raceroms is back online. If anyone finds a broken link post it up here and we'll see what can be done to fix it.

sammoth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users