low RAM - optimus2x disappointment

Guest nitko

Has anyone else noticed low memory on all ROMs?

The device has only 370Mb usable memory and it is just not enough.

I am very much disappointed with the optimus2x, and am advising everyone against buying it.

My previous android was cheapo zte blade which had over 410Mb RAM available and was working noticeably better with just 600Mhz CPU, while the optimus2x is premium expensive device and it is struggling.

I have tried several ROMs and always end up with less then 100Mb RAM free, and the phone is struggling to work.

I will setup swap to try to minimize this problem - but that is just a budge fix which will bring its new set of problems and limitations.

Guest Clone519

Has anyone else noticed low memory on all ROMs?

The device has only 370Mb usable memory and it is just not enough.

I am very much disappointed with the optimus2x, and am advising everyone against buying it.

My previous android was cheapo zte blade which had over 410Mb RAM available and was working noticeably better with just 600Mhz CPU, while the optimus2x is premium expensive device and it is struggling.

I have tried several ROMs and always end up with less then 100Mb RAM free, and the phone is struggling to work.

I will setup swap to try to minimize this problem - but that is just a budge fix which will bring its new set of problems and limitations.

I always have more than 200mb of ram to spare

I always have more than 200mb of ram to spare

Maybe you are already using swap?

I dont see how is that possible - with just the core, launcher, email,. gmail, gmaps, keyboard, themes, gtalk - the device is already down do 100Mb.

I suppose I could stop using email service, latitude, gtalk etc... but then again I could just throw smartphone away.

Guest Megabit64

I wonder what all this free RAM you need, considering that Android runs the same in a dynamic way. You also have to explicitly dedicated GPU RAM. Until now I never had any problems out of memory with my Optimus 2X.

Guest Francesco1980

As always not the Device is the problem but the user.

I never get less than 200 MB RAM left when using the device, no Matter what Rom I am using.

Right now my phone is running Maps, Kaspersky Mobile Security, Imo, DSP Manager and of course the usual System stuff like Google Services, Android Keyboard, and in Cyanogen Cyanogenmod LGE Services. And there are still 213 MB of RAM left.

I am very sure you're not able to run and actually use 20 applications at the same time, so why start them when you're not using them?

Guest Stevvie

I just don't get these people who just look at the numbers and worry. have you EVER run out of memory on you O2X?, NO NO NO you have NEVER run out of memory so STOP worrying about it.

If you always end up with less than 100Mb then either you have a defective device or this is simply USER error. If your phone is struggling to work I suggest you contact LG as you seem to have a defective unit as Linux/android does not treat memory the same way windows does and will always free enough to work.Or maybe you are running a task killer and after you keep killing your programs they are always loading/caching in the background, thus making the device feel like it's struggling.

i too went from a ZTE Blade to this O2X and was at first disappointed but after removing all the preloaded LG crap (like car home, that was a resource and battery killer) things are a LOT better.

Edited by Stevvie

Guest abwyatt

+ 1 to those suggesting that the poster of this topic really has no understanding of how Android or any multi-tasking operating system is designed to manage memory. It is not a static system where one just says I want 200 MB to be left free. Lets think logically, what use is the free 200 MB?

As has been suggested, memory is managed dynamically to optimise app launch times versus memory availability and cost. Holding an app or system file in memory is not what causes lag. In fact it is the opposite. And another little known fact is that forcing apps out of memory by using for example a task killer will decrease your battery life because reloading these apps or system files increases CPU usage. If you use a battery monitor like Battery Monitor Widget Pro, you will see evidence of this with very high mA spikes when these apps or system files are reloaded. Keeping them in memory in fact minimises CPU load and hence battery drain.

BTW, I have never ever seen an Android ROM that leaves 200 MB free. The normal dynamic range is more like 120 down to 60 MB.

If you are still sceptical, just have a look at the default values of any well written memory tweaker app from the market. The one that I use is System Tuner Pro (its a widget) which I highly recommend if you are really interested in monitoring what your system is doing memory wise. Here is a screen shot of the sort of NORMAL default memory values for any Android system which this widget was written for. Nowhere will you see 200 MB as the limit where memory is unloaded.

post-744664-0-73059500-1313065051_thumb.

Edited by abwyatt

Guest caffeine666

simply thinks is a troll....

have

whatsapp

gtalk

friendcaster

facebook messenger

go dialer

go sms pro

market

huddler of google+

extended controls

notes

gmail

sms

music

video

smartkeyboard

and 135mb free...

so, don't care bout him... really think is a troll...

a 600mhz cpu wich is much more important than ram.... and was faster... oh yeah... i'm believing it....

410mb ram free? and what's the use of that ram?

windows too changed its way to use ram, like unix based systems...

free ram is USELESS, used ram makes everything faster....

android doesn't close apps, it just hibernates them, making them use less ram, and almost no cpu, but leaves them opened, if there aren't other apps which require more memory, if instead a "heavy memory" apps needs, it closes hibernated ones...

so please... go flame somewhere where people doesn't know about how a unix based system works, before sayng nonsense words ;)

Edited by caffeine666

Free ram is useless ram. I have over 400 apps installed and over 40 running but phone is smooth like it was when empty.

whats the problem you have? Number looks low?

Free ram is useless ram. I have over 400 apps installed and over 40 running but phone is smooth like it was when empty.

whats the problem you have? Number looks low?

I wouldnt care if it was 0Mb free just if the phone is working smoothly - but it isnt.

For instance, here is typical situation:

rcO5y.png

If I now try to open gmaps or some other new application the android will struggle to close some of the applications to load new app.

I dont find this normal, and my previous cheapo zte blade (also CM7) worked much faster - I expect the 2X to be much better phone.

Maybe my phone has low RAM available (370Mb)? How much RAM available does yours 2x show?

BTW this is CM7, but the same thing was happening with the stock and FR19....

And for those calling all posts trollish - get a life and stop thinking your device is best in the world just because you own it.

Guest Stevvie

I wouldnt care if it was 0Mb free just if the phone is working smoothly - but it isnt.

For instance, here is typical situation:

rcO5y.png

If I now try to open gmaps or some other new application the android will struggle to close some of the applications to load new app.

I dont find this normal, and my previous cheapo zte blade (also CM7) worked much faster - I expect the 2X to be much better phone.

Maybe my phone has low RAM available (370Mb)? How much RAM available does yours 2x show?

BTW this is CM7, but the same thing was happening with the stock and FR19....

And for those calling all posts trollish - get a life and stop thinking your device is best in the world just because you own it.

The only thing I would say is Contact LG as you seem to have a defective Unit, And no amount of us helping will be able to fix a defective device. ANd do NOT use any task killer apps.

Edited by Stevvie

The only thing I would say is Contact LG as you seem to have a defective Unit, And no amount of us helping will be able to fix a defective device. ANd do NOT use any task killer apps.

I am using taskiller just to see what is active...

How much memory does your device show in available RAM? I have 370Mb

Guest Shadman2011

Well there you go then, thats probably why you're having problems... get rid of the task killer just like Stevvie says. There is other ways of finding out whats running with out having to use a task killer. Use Taskmanager by houmiak its free and shows you whats running and the amount of memory each app is using and the percentage of cpu its using too.

Just read here on what task killers do... http://forum.xda-dev...6&postcount=144

Edited by Shadman2011

Well there you go then, thats probably why you're having problems... get rid of the task killer just like Stevvie says. There is other ways of finding out whats running with out having to use a task killer. Use Taskmanager by houmiak its free and shows you whats running and the amount of memory each app is using and the percentage of cpu its using too.

Just read here on what task killers do... http://forum.xda-dev...6&postcount=144

OMG.... try to read my post where I use taskiller just to see which processes are running, would you be happy if I took screenshot from another software showing 100mb of free RAM? If you are so smart can you please explain why my 4 previous android phones didnt have this problems with same taskiller? if it is to blame for showing which processes are running?

Getting back to important facts - can anybody tell me if 370Mb of memory is normal for O2X? or is there a problem with my unit?

Edited by nitko

Guest abwyatt

Getting back to important facts - can anybody tell me if 370Mb of memory is normal for O2X? or is there a problem with my unit?

Absolutely normal. And free RAM should fluctuate between 120 and 60 MB - other users will show minor range differences. The attached screen shot shows free RAM at 76MB. Just looking at my mobile now, and free RAM is back up to 98 MB. No task killer in operation. And very little lag with launching apps since most of my commonly used apps are in memory as you will see in the screenshot. Large apps may lag slightly when first opened just after a reboot but the next time it is opened there is virtually no lag, just like on any desktop OS.

post-744664-0-38987000-1313151551_thumb.

Guest o2mike

OMG.... try to read my post where I use taskiller just to see which processes are running, would you be happy if I took screenshot from another software showing 100mb of free RAM? If you are so smart can you please explain why my 4 previous android phones didnt have this problems with same taskiller? if it is to blame for showing which processes are running?

370MB of available Memory is normal. The rest is reserved for android system and the GPU. My O2X often has around 40-60 MB of free ram ans still is responsive.

Maybe you have some terribly bad coded Apps running in the background causing problems. Do you get that laggy experience after a fresh reboot too? Did you try to set animations to run faster in "SpareParts"?

Guest Stevvie

Using Quick system info (fro the market) I hace

System storage 339 Free 128

System cache 61.97 Free 54.74

memory 372 Free 102 Idle 29.55

Guest Shadman2011

No need to get funny, and yes I did read your previous post, I was only trying to say that there is other ways to find out what is running other than using a task killer and that task killers tend to be pretty much useless now because android manages the memory better than any task killer can, all task killers tend to do is shut down processes that will only get restarted again more or less straight away which results in higher battery use. Well if your 4 previous phones didn't have this problem I would hazard a guess that its very likely you that is doing something wrong, because I along with quite a few others on here don't have the problems you're mentioning....

Guest alvari

Mem info (avail/total)

150 MB / 373 MB

Running absolutely fine, fast and stable. Uptime is over 25 hours, so I've had the time to use quite a few apps. I'd say the O2x has enough ram.. :)

Cyanogenmod 7, nightly #105 / BB 622

Guest Robert Sydbrink

lol?

Guest Cyrillus

the LG Optimus 2x has 512MB of RAM attached..

if you wondered why it's only showing 370MB, the rest is DEDICATED for NVidia ULP GPU TEGRA 2.

the same goes for Galaxy S II where it says 1GB of RAM but only 800+ available due to GPU Memory.

and if you wondered why it's never been 370MB of Free RAM, then it's being used for system running.

i do feel some lags back then, but that's because i'm running LG stock Home Launcher cause i love the weather widget, but when i switched to another custom homescreen, especially CM7, nothing feels lag enough.

it's true that killing tasks brutally doesn't always result in better performance, kill only apps that won't start automatically or apps that fails to exit properly, some task that needed in the background won't be a wise to kill, cause it'll re-start and takes more battery..

i don't find any harmful problems in O2x ever since i'm using FR19, it pushed O2x to the best shape and it's a great phone.. not the best but definitely one of the best :)

Guest gensplejs

Free memory is wasted memory.....

Excatly.

Now i do have a task killer. But it only kills apps i know are broken... Some apps i use cause permanent wake lock, wake lock gps without any reason or other battery drain issues.