Window N50 - Any interest?

Guest Sere83

Guest Sere83

So I have been following the Chinese MID/Tablet market for many years now, and with the recent introduction of ARMv7 based Chipsets and the Android OS we are really starting to see some very capable, cheap hardware. Amongst the thousands of tablets on the Chinese market this latest one from Window caught my attention as on paper it seems to represent very good value for money and packs a lot of power for such a small device. Looks like a small version of the original Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Window are also a reasonably reputable company in China. Would be interested to know if any one could see ROM development potential.

INFO:

Processor: 1.2Ghz Rockchip RK2918 (Cortex A8)

GPU: Vivante GC800

RAM: 512MB DDR3

Display: 5 Inch 800x480 TFT 5 Point Capacitive Multitouch

Camera: 0.3MP Front Facing Webcam

Video: 1080P, AVI / MOV / MP4 / RMVB / FLV / MKV

Operating System: Android 2.3

Battery: 3200mah 4-6 hours

Dimensions: 90x137x13 mm

Memory: 8GB on board | Micro SD Slot Upto 32GB

And the best bit. One reputable exporter is selling this including shipping for $160 | £98! and this may even turn out to be one of the more expensive sellers.

252_13131279862oU9.jpg

240009.jpg

240010.jpg

240019.jpg

240012.jpg

252_13131278557azb.png252_1313127763C9mp.png

BENCHMARK INFO:

http://translate.goo...7970%26page%3D1

250045.jpg

Edited by Sere83

Guest McSpoon

Seems reasonable for the price. I'm not sure how I feel about 5 inch displays - does that make it a tablet or a phone? If it has a 3G sim that would be good. Even better if kernel source is available.

Guest Sere83

Yeah it is kind of somewhere in between a tablet and phone I guess. I'm not sure whether there will be a 3G version available. Seems unlikely, however apparently certain 3g dongles will be supported.

Admittedly 5 inches is a very niche size. But this would serve as a great travel companion, for video, music, gaming, light browsing etc and take the pressure of your phones battery if you consume a lot of media on the move.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 7 inch tablet with any resolution less than 1024 x 600/768 but on 5 inches 800x480 is actually not too bad with a PPI of 186 which is still better the iPad.

It packs some serious power for a small device and battery scores i've seen have been decent, putting in a reasonable quadrant score and managing over 6 hrs at half screen brightness looping a 1024x768 Resolution RMVB video file.

And of course it is very cheap, think you would be hard pressed to find any ARMv7 based capacitive device cheaper.

OK software and hardware will be slightly rougher round the edges and it may have a little added bulk but when you consider the Samsung Galaxy Wifi 5.0 is £230+ and runs android 2.2, and this runs 2.3 and a superior chipset it really does look like a steal.

There are a huge number of 7 and 8 inch tablets coming out of China running higher res displays on the same or a host of other A8/A9 based chipsets but none of them come in under £100. Might just get one out of curioisty.

In terms of kernal source I have no info i'm afraid.This is the exact same chipset that will be used in the Andypad though.

Videos / Photo Gallery:

http://www.jtshoponl...pping_p585.html

http://gallery.jtsho...20Window%20N50/

Edited by Sere83