Photo

Upgrading from a ZTE Blade to a Optimus 2X.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy NEXUS
  • Twitter:@aksolanki

Mines arrived but I paid the £6 for next day delivery, its at my parents though so I won't get it until tomorrow night and then I'm going away on Wednesday until next Monday

Hi, well, at least yours has arrived. Hopefully you can play with it whilst your away. My order was placed on hold, but my girlfriend responded to their security question immediately. They have sold out now. I hope they kept one for me.

Posted Image

It seems they included a car charger in my order too. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the handset. Anil.

Galaxy NEXUS with a side of Jelly Bean.

everett_psycho

everett_psycho

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Devices:LG Optimus 2x, Advent Vega

Hi, well, at least yours has arrived. Hopefully you can play with it whilst your away. My order was placed on hold, but my girlfriend responded to their security question immediately. They have sold out now. I hope they kept one for me.

Posted Image

It seems they included a car charger in my order too. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the handset. Anil.

thats exactly what happened to me, i blame not being able to pick a card type when paying. They were closed for the night when i got the message so I cancelled my order and redid it with the amazon checkout to make sure it went through properly. Shame I wont be able to play with it while i'm away, we are going to a festival so it's my beaten up £20 nokia until then so i have a hope in hell one of its batteries will still have some power come Monday morning and don't really care if it gets nicked. Got tuesday and wednesday off next week to go get our new dog and help him settle in so will be spending all the time split between the dog and the o2x, sadly i'm well looking forward to 2 days with the dog and phone.

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

thats exactly what happened to me, i blame not being able to pick a card type when paying. They were closed for the night when i got the message so I cancelled my order and redid it with the amazon checkout to make sure it went through properly. Shame I wont be able to play with it while i'm away, we are going to a festival so it's my beaten up £20 nokia until then so i have a hope in hell one of its batteries will still have some power come Monday morning and don't really care if it gets nicked. Got tuesday and wednesday off next week to go get our new dog and help him settle in so will be spending all the time split between the dog and the o2x, sadly i'm well looking forward to 2 days with the dog and phone.

A festival, at least you won't be twiddling your thumbs. A new dog, I love animals, especially dogs. I would love to have a dog, we have loads of space here, and practically everybody on our street has a dog. But I'm too happy with my freedom, I can come and go as I please. Enjoy the Dog & Phone, I'm sure that's a pub in the UK. :)

Anil.

PS. Sorry to others for zero ANDROID talk in this post.

everett_psycho

everett_psycho

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

A festival, at least you won't be twiddling your thumbs. A new dog, I love animals, especially dogs. I would love to have a dog, we have loads of space here, and practically everybody on our street has a dog. But I'm too happy with my freedom, I can come and go as I please. Enjoy the Dog & Phone, I'm sure that's a pub in the UK. :)

Anil.

PS. Sorry to others for zero ANDROID talk in this post.

yeah the thread has got a bit sidetracked, i'll try to post my initial thoughts before i go but i wont get around to doing any rooting or custom roms, i'll save that for later. on the plus side mobile reception in our flat sucks so i'll have to go walk the dog to test out the 3g signal properly.

agreenjesus

agreenjesus

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Devices:archos 5, lg optimus 2x

RRP for the Blade is £109, RRP for the O2X is £449. Even at the heavily discounted price of £270 it's almost three times the price of the Blade. Is there anything else that I can buy for £109 that's as good as the Blade? No. ZTE did a great job with the Blade. The low price point and this community allowed me to try ANDROID and discover I really like it.

I wouldn't call it "seriously inferior", you have to compare like for like. Would you call a Toyota seriously inferior to a formula one car?

By the way which ROM are you running on your O2X? Thanks. Anil.

I'm not sure about the car analogy but I would call a moped seriously inferior to something like a Yamaha R1. So yes, the ability of the Blade is seriously inferior to that of the 2x, particularly in areas such as gaming. Seriously who cares, it's only my opinion.

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

I'm not sure about the car analogy but I would call a moped seriously inferior to something like a Yamaha R1. So yes, the ability of the Blade is seriously inferior to that of the 2x, particularly in areas such as gaming. Seriously who cares, it's only my opinion.

I'm not sure about the motorcycle analogy. Again you're comparing items at very different price points. What else can you buy at the Blades price point? A Yamaha R1 is at least 4x times the cost of a moped, perhaps you have loads of money and price is no object? If you had said the Blade is technically inferior, then I wouldn't disagree, but you didn't.

Anil.

Edited by Anil K Solanki, 23 August 2011 - 07:54 AM.

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

yeah the thread has got a bit sidetracked, i'll try to post my initial thoughts before i go but i wont get around to doing any rooting or custom roms, i'll save that for later. on the plus side mobile reception in our flat sucks so i'll have to go walk the dog to test out the 3g signal properly.

Back on-topic. :)

I had to ring expansys today because their website said my order was still on hold. Anyway, the support lady said they hadn't received an email from my girlfriend, then the support lady checked, 10 secs later, yes sir we have received your email. The item will be shipped today. Yay! :D

Posted Image

Another bona fide bargain! Anil.

everett_psycho

everett_psycho

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Well so far so good, mines all set up and I'm posting this from tapatalk. Compared to my hero its nice and fast, had a small issue with my heroes sd card saying its corrupt in the o2x, that's easily fixed when i get the time next week though. Its taking some getting used to with the bigger screen but its just the right size for me.

I'm liking the built in dlna app, already managed to get it to stream from my nas and play from my phone on my tv and its a function i may have to use more often.

So yes, I'm imprrssed so far, i think its worth the slashed price we've paid. Some minor things could be better but its all stuff i just need more time with to sort or get used to.

vulpy

vulpy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Devices:galaxy nexus/ tf700
My O2x arrived on Monday (ordered on Friday night)... good job at that Xpansys! Now the phone is waiting for my return to the UK this weekend...
Seems like the delievries go pretty well.
My trusted Blade does the most fantastic job for the basics (calls, twitter, facebook and stellar gps navigation), what I miss is a larger screen and true multi tasking, the LG O2x should cover all basis.

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Well so far so good, mines all set up and I'm posting this from tapatalk. Compared to my hero its nice and fast, had a small issue with my heroes sd card saying its corrupt in the o2x, that's easily fixed when i get the time next week though. Its taking some getting used to with the bigger screen but its just the right size for me.

I'm liking the built in dlna app, already managed to get it to stream from my nas and play from my phone on my tv and its a function i may have to use more often.

So yes, I'm imprrssed so far, i think its worth the slashed price we've paid. Some minor things could be better but its all stuff i just need more time with to sort or get used to.

Hi everett_psycho, eXpansys shipped my phone yesterday and it arrived this morning. Unfortunately my girlfriend is not returning til mid next week, so I won't get the phone until then. At least it will give me time to plan a root/upgrade strategy for the phone. I use Cyanogenmod on my Blade, and would very much like it on the O2X.

Enjoy the festival. Anil.

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

My O2x arrived on Monday (ordered on Friday night)... good job at that Xpansys! Now the phone is waiting for my return to the UK this weekend...
Seems like the delievries go pretty well.
My trusted Blade does the most fantastic job for the basics (calls, twitter, facebook and stellar gps navigation), what I miss is a larger screen and true multi tasking, the LG O2x should cover all basis.

Hi vulpy, glad to hear another person snapped up the O2X at the bargain price. I was planning on getting the ZTE Skate, but unlocking is an issue. The O2X costs more, but is technically superior/capable. Are you planning on sticking with the stock ROM?

Regards. Anil.

vulpy

vulpy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Hi vulpy, glad to hear another person snapped up the O2X at the bargain price. I was planning on getting the ZTE Skate, but unlocking is an issue. The O2X costs more, but is technically superior/capable. Are you planning on sticking with the stock ROM?

Regards. Anil.

Hi Anil, I went through the Skate temptation phase as well and like you : "no unlock" = "no buy" as I'm comutting all throughout Europe and need to swap sim cards on a weekly basis. Ultimately I came to the conclusion that when you start asking alot from your hardware you should be able to provision for a high end beast, O2X came as a nice trade-off price vs. performance/features.
I am a modding freak, first thing I will do after charging my phone will be to root it and get the most stable custom ROM out there. What is your choice today (CM, Paul's, xda options?). Keep us posted, I'll do the same ;) Have a blast unpacking your Optimus!

vulpy

vulpy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
Anil, you may want to give Ginger Stir Fry ROM a chance on your Blade, I see huge stability and speed improvements over CM... All this waiting to get your hands on the O2X of course !

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Anil, you may want to give Ginger Stir Fry ROM a chance on your Blade, I see huge stability and speed improvements over CM... All this waiting to get your hands on the O2X of course !

Hi vulpy, on the O2X I will start with Cyanogen and see how that works out. I have been using CM for months now, and apart from one glitch. I have had zero issues. I easily get 12 hours of hardcore use and 24 hours of medium use, both scenarios are with Wi-Fi and 3G use, a bit of video watching, gaming lots of email & web surfing. So hopefully I will get the same performance on the O2X. The fact it has CM7 support is the reason I chose it over other handsets.

As for the Blade. I have a slight dillema. I'm going to give the Gen 2 Blade running CM7 to my girlfriend. She already has a Gen 1 Blade running Swedish Spring RLS5. She needs two phones, one with an Italian SIM, the other with a UK SIM. Do I put the Gen 2 version of Swedish Spring on the second handset? Or Ginger Stir Fry? She hasn't made any complaints about battery life or performance with SS. I bought her an ASUS Transformer last month, she absolutely loves it, and it also means she now uses that device for any heavy duty tasks. In fact I think she only uses her phones if she has to.

My gut is to put Ginger Stir Fry on both Blades. But I need them to be 100% stable like Swedish Spring. She is gorgeous :), but technically a mere mortal, unlike us :D. Thankfully WBAWs GSF installer upgrades the handset to Gen 2 if needed. But perhaps SS would be a less feature rich but safer bet? Like I said, dilemma.

I have a week to think about what to do with the Blades, and to plan the transfer of stuff over to the O2X.

Anil.

Edited by Anil K Solanki, 24 August 2011 - 01:36 PM.

vulpy

vulpy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi guys, here we go... my impressions after roughly 2 weeks of usage (not intense usage though):
- the HW screams quality and roars pure speed... very enjoyable, I particularly like the gorgeous screen and the metal edges, top notch quality
- the SW screams pain... how in the world could they release it half way through the dev cycle?
----- on this part I knew there would be work to do and I did not even blinked before I got CM7 on it. Works like a charm.
------------------ did not like in CM7 the lacvk of FM radio support, AD2P support and poor GPS perfs... so on with Paul's stuff
- the combination WH + SW seems to be particularly sensitive, had ugly crashes with many ROMs, updated the BB to 725 and with Paul's GB looks stable and fancy

all in all, O2x is two/three times better than the Blade or Skate, money differential is fully justified. Pay attention this is not for the faint of heart. you need to be patient and get your hands dirty to get where you want.

now i very much enjoy the beast, great GPS performance, hdmi out on my 55" LCD is just mind blowing and the screen... well is a delight ;)

let me know your experience!

Rusty!

Rusty!

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5 16GB
  • Twitter:@RussUnderhill
You might have had an older CM build, GPS is brilliant on newer builds. There was a userspace change a little while ago, gets locked on damn fast and the wakelock issue was sorted in the kernel.

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Hi guys, here we go... my impressions after roughly 2 weeks of usage (not intense usage though):
- the HW screams quality and roars pure speed... very enjoyable, I particularly like the gorgeous screen and the metal edges, top notch quality
- the SW screams pain... how in the world could they release it half way through the dev cycle?
----- on this part I knew there would be work to do and I did not even blinked before I got CM7 on it. Works like a charm.
------------------ did not like in CM7 the lacvk of FM radio support, AD2P support and poor GPS perfs... so on with Paul's stuff
- the combination WH + SW seems to be particularly sensitive, had ugly crashes with many ROMs, updated the BB to 725 and with Paul's GB looks stable and fancy

all in all, O2x is two/three times better than the Blade or Skate, money differential is fully justified. Pay attention this is not for the faint of heart. you need to be patient and get your hands dirty to get where you want.

now i very much enjoy the beast, great GPS performance, hdmi out on my 55" LCD is just mind blowing and the screen... well is a delight ;)

let me know your experience!

Thanks for the feedback vulpy. My girlfriend has been stuck at work in the UK, but she gets back tonight, yay! So I will finally get my hands on my baby, after which I will take a look at the phone. :)

I will go straight for CM7, it's the reason I chose this handset. Talk of basebands does confuse me, just another layer of stuff to learn, along with RIL files.

I will make no bones about saying that I'm sure glad Rusty & yourself are participating in this thread.

Thank you gents. Anil.

Anil K Solanki

Anil K Solanki

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

You might have had an older CM build, GPS is brilliant on newer builds. There was a userspace change a little while ago, gets locked on damn fast and the wakelock issue was sorted in the kernel.

Many thanks for the insight Rusty, much appreciated.

Anil

vulpy

vulpy

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Thank you for the info Rusty! it look slike I'm behind the curve on the CM7 for O2x development... I will dig for the GPS patch and give it another try.
CM7 is defo a reference and despite a couple of shortcomings (features missing), I would use it more often.... So far tried the RC version and the latest Nightly (127 if I'm not wrong). Wil search more thoroughly Modaco and XDA for background.

Edited by vulpy, 07 September 2011 - 09:36 AM.

everett_psycho

everett_psycho

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I echo the sw being the bug, it works out of the box but it really doesn't feel like it has the power inside it does. Personally I've been really lazy since i got this and I've barely touched it from a mod standpoint, it's not even rooted yet. I think my plan is to hold out as i am until the imminent LG update to GB is released and see how that is, if its not a significant improvement I'll be trying some new roms out and making the most of the beast within. For now I've of a few old pcs to be making servers out of instead to clear the flat up a bit

Edited by everett_psycho, 07 September 2011 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users