Photo

Are you delaying buying a OMC because it cant be unlocked?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Is not being able to Unlock the Orange Monte Carlo stopping you from buying it? (149 member(s) have cast votes)

Is not being able to Unlock the Orange Monte Carlo stopping you from buying it?

1. No, I'm on Orange & getting a OMC regardless (6 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

2. Yes, really want the phone but on different network (82 votes [52.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.56%

3. Not bothered, dont want a OMC (16 votes [10.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

4. I'm not on Orange but I got the phone regardless and now waiting for the unlock (32 votes [20.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

5. Gonna wait till the Unbranded 1Ghz Version from ZTE even though it costs more (20 votes [12.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

cmberry20

cmberry20

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Devices:San Franciso
I'm not buying one until its unlocked. So, it begs the question - is this hurting sales?

But, do ZTE & Orange make money when the phone is sold at £150? It probably makes sense to keep the phone locked if Orange loose money on each OMC sold. Being locked to Orange network is one way to recoup looses on a PAYG phone.

Edited by cmberry20, 19 August 2011 - 10:29 AM.

knuckless69

knuckless69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
you should add: I'm not on Orange but I got the phone regardless and now waiting for the unlock

I'm not buying one until its unlocked. So, it begs the question - is this hurting sales?

But, do ZTE & Orange make money when the phone is sold at £150? It probably makes sense to keep the phone locked if Orange loose money on each OMC sold. Being locked to Orange network is one way to recoup looses on a PAYG phone.

cmberry20

cmberry20

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
^ Thanks! Done. :)

Roph

Roph

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade, Samsung Galaxy S
Would like a 1Ghz OMC. And never on Orange, they cannot compare to GiffGaff.

Samsung Galaxy S @ 1.2Ghz / CM10 JellyBean
Grey ZTE Blade @ 768 MHz / KonstaKANG CM9 ICS 4.0.4

t0mm13b

t0mm13b

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Devices:GT-S8500,Zte Blade,SE ST15i
  • Twitter:@t0mm13b
Its going to hurt sales now that Orange has clamped down on this from their previous experience with the San Francisco (hack-ability, unlock-ability, mod-ability) - and even more so - the MC/Skate is really a bigger version of San Francisco - had ZTE released a 1Ghz version, then yes I would but.... B)

try{ not_laugh; }catch{ FAIL; }finally{ laugh; }

gitf@ce

gitf@ce

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Devices:Skate - Streak - Transformer
I'm getting one delivered from Orange free of charge today, since buying a Dell Streak I find I rather like large screens. I will keep my Blade though until the Skate can be unlocked, I'm not giving up my Giffgaff for Oranges lousy plans!

Edited by gitf@ce, 19 August 2011 - 10:15 AM.

cmberry20

cmberry20

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
Added another choice to the poll. Letting people have the choice of the 1Ghz version.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Devices:Xperia Play / Xoom / ZTE Blade

Armv6 doesn't scale well above 600mhz (Look at how miniscule the difference is between the blade and the 800mhz monte carlo) the difference between 800mhz and 1ghz is likely to be even less.

Think its something to do with compatibility with the old arm abi (oabi) same reason intel never releases xscales at 2ghz even when they were running totally fine years ago.

Blade was good idea at the time this no longer is even close to best deal.

tilal6991

tilal6991

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate, Huawei U8150

Armv6 doesn't scale well above 600mhz (Look at how miniscule the difference is between the blade and the 800mhz monte carlo) the difference between 800mhz and 1ghz is likely to be even less.

Think its something to do with compatibility with the old arm abi (oabi) same reason intel never releases xscales at 2ghz even when they were running totally fine years ago.

Blade was good idea at the time this no longer is even close to best deal.

It's not a miniscule difference. There is quite a difference between the Blade and the Skate. The Skate feels more powerful than the Blade and not by a miniscule amount either. Remember that the Skate has a bigger screen than the Blade but the same GPU and so has the use more of the CPU in rendering the screen.

If you like my work or if I helped, click the Plus button.

knuckless69

knuckless69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Remember that the Skate has a bigger screen than the Blade but the same GPU and so has the use more of the CPU in rendering the screen.

No. The number of pixels is the same

tilal6991

tilal6991

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

No. The number of pixels is the same

Yes this is true but the pixels themselves are slightly bigger as they have to cover a larger screen.

morena

morena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
I have a sim only contract with another network with minutes and data..... if there were a free unlock like for the SF I would be buying tomorrow :)

putbinoot

putbinoot

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300, Jiayu G3.
I bought it knowing that either someone will crack the unlock or i can get it from orange ok the later will cost but who cares.

Posted Image

den169

den169

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Devices:san fransisco & monte carlo
  • Twitter:@none
I bought it because it was £120 and i'm happy to wait for an unlock so i can use my t-mobile sim in it.

Metroid_Maniac

Metroid_Maniac

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Devices:gen1 San Francisco

Yes this is true but the pixels themselves are slightly bigger as they have to cover a larger screen.

...So? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the GPU has to work any harder if the pixels are bigger, only the battery in displaying it.

Roph

Roph

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade, Samsung Galaxy S

It's not a miniscule difference. There is quite a difference between the Blade and the Skate. The Skate feels more powerful than the Blade and not by a miniscule amount either. Remember that the Skate has a bigger screen than the Blade but the same GPU and so has the use more of the CPU in rendering the screen.

That makes no sense. The phone produces an 800x480 image that gets sent to the display. The display can be 3.5 inches or 40 inches, the GPU has done its work.

Imagine running a game on a computer at 1024x768 and either playing it on a tiny LCD or a 30" plasma screen. The work done by the computer is the same.

Samsung Galaxy S @ 1.2Ghz / CM10 JellyBean
Grey ZTE Blade @ 768 MHz / KonstaKANG CM9 ICS 4.0.4

tilal6991

tilal6991

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts

That makes no sense. The phone produces an 800x480 image that gets sent to the display. The display can be 3.5 inches or 40 inches, the GPU has done its work.

Imagine running a game on a computer at 1024x768 and either playing it on a tiny LCD or a 30" plasma screen. The work done by the computer is the same.

I stand corrected.

ronc2000

ronc2000

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Its going to hurt sales now that Orange has clamped down on this from their previous experience with the San Francisco (hack-ability, unlock-ability, mod-ability) - and even more so - the MC/Skate is really a bigger version of San Francisco - had ZTE released a 1Ghz version, then yes I would but.... B)

Speaks for most really.

diordnaBLADE

diordnaBLADE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:ZTE BLADE
I now live in the Netherlands and I have a vodafone sim. So I must wait for unlocking before I buy :-(

I wish we did have Orange here!

All the deals offered here are terrible when compared to Orange and they're only getting worse.

Professor Frink

Professor Frink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Dead right. I get a decent 3G signal with Orange but zero for Giff Gaff.

Lovin my OMC :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users