Are you delaying buying a OMC because it cant be unlocked?

Guest cmberry20

Guest cmberry20

I'm not buying one until its unlocked. So, it begs the question - is this hurting sales?

But, do ZTE & Orange make money when the phone is sold at £150? It probably makes sense to keep the phone locked if Orange loose money on each OMC sold. Being locked to Orange network is one way to recoup looses on a PAYG phone.

Edited by cmberry20

Guest knuckless69

you should add: I'm not on Orange but I got the phone regardless and now waiting for the unlock

I'm not buying one until its unlocked. So, it begs the question - is this hurting sales?

But, do ZTE & Orange make money when the phone is sold at £150? It probably makes sense to keep the phone locked if Orange loose money on each OMC sold. Being locked to Orange network is one way to recoup looses on a PAYG phone.

Guest t0mm13b

Its going to hurt sales now that Orange has clamped down on this from their previous experience with the San Francisco (hack-ability, unlock-ability, mod-ability) - and even more so - the MC/Skate is really a bigger version of San Francisco - had ZTE released a 1Ghz version, then yes I would but.... B)

Guest gitf@ce

I'm getting one delivered from Orange free of charge today, since buying a Dell Streak I find I rather like large screens. I will keep my Blade though until the Skate can be unlocked, I'm not giving up my Giffgaff for Oranges lousy plans!

Edited by gitf@ce

Guest unrandomsam

Would like a 1Ghz OMC. And never on Orange, they cannot compare to GiffGaff.

Armv6 doesn't scale well above 600mhz (Look at how miniscule the difference is between the blade and the 800mhz monte carlo) the difference between 800mhz and 1ghz is likely to be even less.

Think its something to do with compatibility with the old arm abi (oabi) same reason intel never releases xscales at 2ghz even when they were running totally fine years ago.

Blade was good idea at the time this no longer is even close to best deal.

Guest tilal6991

Armv6 doesn't scale well above 600mhz (Look at how miniscule the difference is between the blade and the 800mhz monte carlo) the difference between 800mhz and 1ghz is likely to be even less.

Think its something to do with compatibility with the old arm abi (oabi) same reason intel never releases xscales at 2ghz even when they were running totally fine years ago.

Blade was good idea at the time this no longer is even close to best deal.

It's not a miniscule difference. There is quite a difference between the Blade and the Skate. The Skate feels more powerful than the Blade and not by a miniscule amount either. Remember that the Skate has a bigger screen than the Blade but the same GPU and so has the use more of the CPU in rendering the screen.

Guest knuckless69

Remember that the Skate has a bigger screen than the Blade but the same GPU and so has the use more of the CPU in rendering the screen.

No. The number of pixels is the same

Guest morena

I have a sim only contract with another network with minutes and data..... if there were a free unlock like for the SF I would be buying tomorrow :)

Guest Metroid_Maniac

Yes this is true but the pixels themselves are slightly bigger as they have to cover a larger screen.

...So? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the GPU has to work any harder if the pixels are bigger, only the battery in displaying it.

It's not a miniscule difference. There is quite a difference between the Blade and the Skate. The Skate feels more powerful than the Blade and not by a miniscule amount either. Remember that the Skate has a bigger screen than the Blade but the same GPU and so has the use more of the CPU in rendering the screen.

That makes no sense. The phone produces an 800x480 image that gets sent to the display. The display can be 3.5 inches or 40 inches, the GPU has done its work.

Imagine running a game on a computer at 1024x768 and either playing it on a tiny LCD or a 30" plasma screen. The work done by the computer is the same.

Guest tilal6991

That makes no sense. The phone produces an 800x480 image that gets sent to the display. The display can be 3.5 inches or 40 inches, the GPU has done its work.

Imagine running a game on a computer at 1024x768 and either playing it on a tiny LCD or a 30" plasma screen. The work done by the computer is the same.

I stand corrected.

Guest ronc2000

Its going to hurt sales now that Orange has clamped down on this from their previous experience with the San Francisco (hack-ability, unlock-ability, mod-ability) - and even more so - the MC/Skate is really a bigger version of San Francisco - had ZTE released a 1Ghz version, then yes I would but.... B)

Speaks for most really.

Guest diordnaBLADE

I now live in the Netherlands and I have a vodafone sim. So I must wait for unlocking before I buy :-(

I wish we did have Orange here!

All the deals offered here are terrible when compared to Orange and they're only getting worse.

Guest Professor Frink

Would like a 1Ghz OMC. And never on Orange, they cannot compare to GiffGaff.

Dead right. I get a decent 3G signal with Orange but zero for Giff Gaff.

Lovin my OMC :)

Guest Productivity

Does anyone know if it is likely that this phone will be unlockable at all?

What has to change for this to happen?

I leave the UK at the end of next week and would like to take one with me, but only if it will be unlockable sometime soon.

Guest tilal6991

Does anyone know if it is likely that this phone will be unlockable at all?

What has to change for this to happen?

I leave the UK at the end of next week and would like to take one with me, but only if it will be unlockable sometime soon.

As soon as someone produces a romdump of an unlocked Skate then we should have an unlock.

Guest Productivity

As soon as someone produces a romdump of an unlocked Skate then we should have an unlock.

Thanks man!

I've done it. Bought one!

The only way I can ever use it is if we get that unlocked romdump! (That's the faith I have in my fellow Modaco members!)

Where I'm from there aint no Orange!

Guest Tony.h

I bought one as well, no use here to me in ireland without the unlock so really hoping for an unlock,,, used it tethering from my blade amd really like it