Huawei U8220 1.5 to 2.1/2.2

Guest BorisDj.

Guest BorisDj.

Just like the title says, I am trying to upgrade my smart phone's Android OS from 1.5 to 2.1 or 2.2 (doesn't matter as long as it's above 2.0).

The problem is that I have an unusual model of Huawei U8220, it's NOT a T-mobile, Telenor, H3G, CHT, etc. It's a plain and generic Huawei, should I say.

To be more specific, the model description is as follows:

Model number: U8220

Firmware version: 1.5

Baseband version: 6383

Kernel version: 2.6.27-perf huawei@l-clustor02 #1

Build number: U8220V100R001C00B275SP01

I've received this phone as a sponsorship present back in May 2010 in Shanghai, while I was working at the EXPO2010 World Fair. Believe it or not, since then I was unable to find a OFFICIAL upgrade to 2.1/2.2, even though it exists as I was told a 100 times by Huawei costumer support. Unfortunately their Web-site (www.huaweidevice.com), under "support" and then "download software" for U8220, provides me with a "Kernel" folder as a software update within a ZIP file with which I have absolutely no clue what to do. When unzipped, the "Kernel" folder is 300+ MB and has tons of files in it. As for China, when EXPO2010 ended in November 2010, I left for good therefore I cannot go to Huawei in Shanghai or Beijing directly and get my phone upgraded by them. As for other Web-sites, I Gooooogled and downloaded a bunch of UPDATA.APPs but none of them worked, it always said UPDATE FAILED at the end. As for booting my phone using another image file through a recovery software and hence using an unofficial mod such as ClockworkMOD or similar, I dared not. Not only that I always stay away from unofficial and beta software and OSs, but I am also a complete amateur when it comes to Androids, believe me when I say that I am completely oblivious to it. I could only do the update method via SD card, placing the UPDATA.APP in the dload folder and clicking upgrade, and that's about it.

Can someone please help me, I would appreciate it greatly! Pretty much everything now requires at least Android OS 2.0 version, therefore for the past year or so, my smart phone is entirely useless when it comes to Web-sites with Flash player required, SKYPE VIDEO conference usage, live streaming connections and so fourth...

Regards,

Boris

City: Belgrade

• 1 month later...
Guest matupeti

Just like the title says, I am trying to upgrade my smart phone's Android OS from 1.5 to 2.1 or 2.2 (doesn't matter as long as it's above 2.0).

The problem is that I have an unusual model of Huawei U8220, it's NOT a T-mobile, Telenor, H3G, CHT, etc. It's a plain and generic Huawei, should I say.

To be more specific, the model description is as follows:

Model number: U8220

Firmware version: 1.5

Baseband version: 6383

Kernel version: 2.6.27-perf huawei@l-clustor02 #1

Build number: U8220V100R001C00B275SP01

I've received this phone as a sponsorship present back in May 2010 in Shanghai, while I was working at the EXPO2010 World Fair. Believe it or not, since then I was unable to find a OFFICIAL upgrade to 2.1/2.2, even though it exists as I was told a 100 times by Huawei costumer support. Unfortunately their Web-site (www.huaweidevice.com), under "support" and then "download software" for U8220, provides me with a "Kernel" folder as a software update within a ZIP file with which I have absolutely no clue what to do. When unzipped, the "Kernel" folder is 300+ MB and has tons of files in it. As for China, when EXPO2010 ended in November 2010, I left for good therefore I cannot go to Huawei in Shanghai or Beijing directly and get my phone upgraded by them. As for other Web-sites, I Gooooogled and downloaded a bunch of UPDATA.APPs but none of them worked, it always said UPDATE FAILED at the end. As for booting my phone using another image file through a recovery software and hence using an unofficial mod such as ClockworkMOD or similar, I dared not. Not only that I always stay away from unofficial and beta software and OSs, but I am also a complete amateur when it comes to Androids, believe me when I say that I am completely oblivious to it. I could only do the update method via SD card, placing the UPDATA.APP in the dload folder and clicking upgrade, and that's about it.

Can someone please help me, I would appreciate it greatly! Pretty much everything now requires at least Android OS 2.0 version, therefore for the past year or so, my smart phone is entirely useless when it comes to Web-sites with Flash player required, SKYPE VIDEO conference usage, live streaming connections and so fourth...

Regards,

Boris

City: Belgrade

Hi!

I think Antonio's or Twrock's version of CM6.1 should work fine for you! so check this thread:

i am sure you can make it!!!

regards from budapest!