Streakdroid 2.3

Guest fards

how to flash back to official 2.2

can i just load via fast boot stock recovery and then update.pkg from sd card?

You got it ;)

Just remember to perform a dell factory reset after flashing

Guest mrmrmrmr

@mrmrmrmr If there was dont you think i wouldnt be using it?

Sometimes you really do need to think a little before posting

@fards:

I just wanted to ask. I can't know for sure if I don't ask.

- It could be that you have the sources and working on it.

- It could be that you will receive sources later.

As we don't know your source for the precompiled kernel, there are lots of possibilities. For example, I don't understand how can one have the compiled kernel and no sources. (?)

If someone compiled it, then there must be a valid source. somewhere, at someone's hands...

p.s: I am a simple man with a simple mind. I might be missing some -very- important points.

btw, as Modaco is not charging us per post, and there are really a few people following this thread, why should we "think a little" before posting ? if we are all friends working for same purpose, then we could ask whatever comes in our mind...

Edited by mrmrmrmr

Is there any way of flashing this without losing all my texts, apps and contact details??

You can use backup programs form the market to backup and restore texts / apps. Contacts can be synced to Google

Ive noticed compared to 2.2 or 1.91 that the battery life is pretty poor. Is it just me or do others have bad battery?

Most others have found the battery life to be better than 2.2 alone or with custom ROMS

Unless of course you were running one of the earlier 2.2 updates

Guest andycqos

Ive noticed compared to 2.2 or 1.91 that the battery life is pretty poor. Is it just me or do others have bad battery?

I havent really done any real checking, but my impression is that the battery life isnt as good in this build. I was on Steves latest 1.9 build before

Guest El_Diablo666

I have had excellent battery life. Average on 40 hours, with using wireless and 3G at times.

I only turn on 3G and wireless when needed tho, and end background programs running if I don't need them

"Have not tested GPS"

Guest neil tring

I have had excellent battery life. Average on 40 hours, with using wireless and 3G at times.

I only turn on 3G and wireless when needed tho, and end background programs running if I don't need them

"Have not tested GPS"

Never have GPS on, dont need it. Wireless is only on when im at home and brightness is down as usual. Not sure whats up. According to Battery ETA Tuesday was 10hrs operating time, 17 on monday, 24 sunday etc

Before i was getting 25-40 hours on average, that was with the 1.93 build iirc.

Never have GPS on, dont need it. Wireless is only on when im at home and brightness is down as usual. Not sure whats up. According to Battery ETA Tuesday was 10hrs operating time, 17 on monday, 24 sunday etc

Before i was getting 25-40 hours on average, that was with the 1.93 build iirc.

Probably your noticing such a big difference because you were getting EPIC battery life out of 2.2!

Most streaks are lucky if they last frown dawn to night on a single charge.. Scrap that, most android phones are lucky if they last a day with the users "normal" usage

Is there any way to "unroot" this ROM? My employer uses Good and it checks for root.

Showing my stupidity here but.. Wouldn't the app ask for root rights to determine if the device is rooted? Couldn't you just deny it? :unsure:

Should a legit app really check this anyway?

Guest 80sLoveCHILD

Showing my stupidity here but.. Wouldn't the app ask for root rights to determine if the device is rooted? Couldn't you just deny it?

Should a legit app really check this anyway?

+1

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

depends on what "good" does to check,

I presume it looks for "su" in system/bin/ or xbin/ if it does either of those, then yeah very easy delete the file, or rename it and symlink it

Guest vanemburghj

@fards:

I just wanted to ask. I can't know for sure if I don't ask.

- It could be that you have the sources and working on it.

- It could be that you will receive sources later.

As we don't know your source for the precompiled kernel, there are lots of possibilities. For example, I don't understand how can one have the compiled kernel and no sources. (?)

If someone compiled it, then there must be a valid source. somewhere, at someone's hands...

p.s: I am a simple man with a simple mind. I might be missing some -very- important points.

btw, as Modaco is not charging us per post, and there are really a few people following this thread, why should we "think a little" before posting ? if we are all friends working for same purpose, then we could ask whatever comes in our mind...

Dude, are you writing code in support of Fard's work to get after the last few remaining issues?

Damn..

Saw some "fixes" were posted over @XDA so I had a trawl through the topic, I'm sooooooooo glad that I found MoDaCo before XDA :blink:

What a bunch of self-centred whinging bunch o' trollops :angry:

Seriously! What the hell?

/rant

All I've really gathered from the mountain of QQ is that adjusting the rom head-size "may" help browsers.. But take it with a pinch of salt.

Heh, re-looking at 2.3 due to the new features in Google+

Do they work on the Streak?

What new features of Google+ are you talking about? I could check. I don't use it all that much, so not really sure about any new features in Google+.

Damn..

Saw some "fixes" were posted over @XDA so I had a trawl through the topic, I'm sooooooooo glad that I found MoDaCo before XDA :blink:

What a bunch of self-centred whinging bunch o' trollops :angry:

Seriously! What the hell?

/rant

All I've really gathered from the mountain of QQ is that adjusting the rom head-size "may" help browsers.. But take it with a pinch of salt.

Heh, re-looking at 2.3 due to the new features in Google+

Do they work on the Streak?

What new features of Google+ are you talking about? I could check. I don't use it all that much, so not really sure about any new features in Google+.

Should have "hangout" support

(9? way video and group calling)

I always used to think XDA was populated by developers.. I was wrong :mellow:

Still, we love our devs here @MoDaCo! No matter if they created a simple theme or ported Cyanogen mod to their toaster :lol:

So far I havnt been able to get any extra google+ features.. However so far i've managed to achive 100% stability by reducing the heap size from 64m! (Unsupported by most heap chaning apps) to 24m (android default)

No freezes, browser or otherwise. Just general "gingerbread custom rom" joltyness :D

Guest DaGoodBoy

So I was hoping to get some verification / discussion on some theories...

• The Gingerbread kernel at the heart of Streakdroid 2.3 is a binary-only release from "someone in the East".
  • Since Dell is unlikely to have done the Streak hardware and software engineering in-house, they probably out-sourced development to an OEM "in the East".
  • It is likely that Dell pulled the plug and stopped work slightly in advance of the public announcement on Aug 15th, 2011.
  • The Streakdroid kernel was built on Fri Aug 12, three days before Dell made the announcement that they will be discontinuing the Streak 5.
  • The config from that kernel does not exactly match the kernel in fards DellStreak5-GingerBread git repo on github, so one can assume that the kernel is not exactly the same version as the one Dell released as an alpha some time ago.
  • So continuing the baseless trail of assumptions, a company that was working on the Gingerbread port of the Streak was stopped by Dell and an intrepid engineer dropped fards a build of the current status of the kernel with some other firmware bits to make it run.
  • Since that OEM was doing work-for-hire for Dell, Dell is the only one who can legally release the source and firmware blobs, making it very unlikely now to ever get the buildable kernel source for Gingerbread.
  • Since the company doing development (based upon previous releases) does horrible, frankenkernel style coding, the necessary bits to develop for the Streak are never likely to end up somewhere like codeaurora or github, let alone the mainline Android code.

Are these reasonable assumptions? I'd really like to help get a solid Gingerbread load running on Streak. Is it reasonable to assume hacking ROMs is sufficient for this or will it ever be possible to get an end-to-end build for a Streak target up and running?

I really like the Streak. For me, it is the perfect compromise between a phone and a tablet. I'd just to see a from-source ROM building process like the Nexus and other other platforms have. Is there any hope?

DaGoodBoy

Edited by DaGoodBoy