MonteCarlo vs SanFrancisco

Guest dadashi

Guest dadashi

I got the MonteCarlo a few days ago and been comparing it to my OLED SanFrancisco....

If I didn't have an OLED OSF and the OMC wasn't locked I'd probably trade in straight away.....

-Software:

I've got latest CM7 on my OSF so it wins hands down compared to the OMC Gingerbread first release

-Screen:

My OLED OSF is SOooooooo much clearer, sharper, blacker, brighter and better than the OMC TFT screen. But the 4.3" inch OMC is larger and fun to use...

-Battery:

OMC battery life is very very bad. 3 hours use after a nights refueling and my OLED-OSF has 98% battery, OMC 60%....probably be better with a decent CM7 rom but the 4.3" TFT screen is a proper guzzler

-Loudspeaker:

OMC is better, louder and clearer than the OSF

-Camera:

OMC has a much better camera than the OSF and has a flash although extremely weak, it's good for close shots in dark rooms. OMC wins hands down...

-GPS/WiFi:

I've noticed the OMC has weaker GPS and Wifi reception, even with OMC boost activated. This is probably due to its first gen rom. I'm sure there are hardware improvements and it only needs CM7 to iron things out.

-Sensors:

Again not as quick as OSF but with proper roms probably beats the OSF due to newer hardware

-CPU:

Noticeably quicker performance than OSF even with the poor first orange rom. Would be much better with CM7...

-Mediaplayer:

Ho ho, the OMC is much better than the OSF, louder speaker and louder headphone output....same song, same music player but much better music quality, better base, better highs, louder and clearer, similar in music quality to my sons DesireS

Edited by dadashi

Guest gitf@ce

-Battery:

OMC battery life is very very bad. 3 hours use after a nights refueling and my OLED-OSF has 98% battery, OMC 60%....probably be better with a decent CM7 rom but the 4.3" TFT screen is a proper guzzler.

I am finding my OMC battery life better than my Blade.

-GPS/WiFi:

I've noticed the OMC has weaker GPS and Wifi reception, even with OMC boost activated. This is probably due to its first gen rom. I'm sure there are hardware improvements and it only needs CM7 to iron things out.

I find although my OMC is reporting a weaker WiFi signal it is in fact considerably stronger, and that is without signal boost. GPS definitely seems weaker on OMC, but not much.

-Sensors:

Again not as quick as OSF but with proper roms probably beats the OSF due to newer hardware

OMC has a serious issue with black screen during a call.

Just my 1p (that's my credit gone).

Guest gitf@ce

You're right about the battery life, as long as it's not used there's absolutely no battery loss....:rolleyes:

As it happens my phone has been royaly thrashed over these last fews days, and I have to say I'm impressed with the battery life. Maybe you have a duffer?

Guest dadashi

I charged the OMC overnight and after carrying it around in standby for 5 hours still had 100% battery.

Now I made a long call handsfree using VoIP with the screen on for about 30 minutes and I'm down to 83%....

Guest Rusty!
-Screen:

My OLED OSF is SOooooooo much clearer, sharper

Either the OMC has a horrific screen (unlikely), or you might want to get your eyes tested (;)). PenTile matrix screens are noticeably fuzzier than their LCD counterparts.

Guest dadashi

Either the OMC has a horrific screen (unlikely), or you might want to get your eyes tested (;)). PenTile matrix screens are noticeably fuzzier than their LCD counterparts.

actually the OCM does have a horrible screen compared to the OLED OSF, its only the 4.3" size that saves it...I can do some comparisson pictures later...

Guest tilal6991

actually the OCM does have a horrible screen compared to the OLED OSF, its only the 4.3" size that saves it...I can do some comparisson pictures later...

Strange because I have both and think the OMC screen is better.

Guest dadashi

do you have an OLED OSF or a TFT?

it's common knowledge OLED screens are far more advanced and better...I don't think any pictures I post will do any justice...

Guest tilal6991
do you have an OLED OSF or a TFT?

it's common knowledge OLED screens are far more advanced and better...I don't think any pictures I post will do any justice...

Not sure... stupidly I flashed cm7 without backing up my original rom. So I don't know.

Guest dadashi

OK, it's clear you don't have an OLED OSF.... It's a shame OMC didn't start their sales with OLED screens as they did with OSF last year, they're doing things the otherway around with OMC, starting with 800Mhz cpus and introducing 1Ghz cpus later...they might even bring OLED versions later...:rolleyes:

I'm going to keep my OLED OSF just because of the novelty...

Guest tilal6991
OK, it's clear you don't have an OLED OSF.... It's a shame OMC didn't start their sales with OLED screens as they did with OSF last year, they're doing things the otherway around with OMC, starting with 800Mhz cpus and introducing 1Ghz cpus later...they might even bring OLED versions later...

I'm going to keep my OLED OSF just because of the novelty...

Yeah they do seem to be very rare...

Guest dadashi

It's really not, it's personal preference.

oh come on....you telling me an amoled display is not superior to a normal tft...Im beggining to think most people havent had an amoled smartphone in the hand before...

Guest Rusty!

Well I'm not one of those people, as I had a Nexus One for 15 months. Yes it had better contrast, but it was nowhere near as sharp.

I'd rather have my IPS-SLCD O2X screen than the Nexus One's PenTile AMOLED display.

The SGS-II's Super AMOLED Plus is a different kettle of fish though, as it uses a proper RGB matrix.

There are other considerations though, AMOLED screens are susceptible to burn in, which can be quite nasty.

Like I said, there is no real 'winner' here, different people like different things, hardly surprising.

Edited by Rusty!

Guest iNoobz2Droid

oh come on....you telling me an amoled display is not superior to a normal tft...Im beggining to think most people havent had an amoled smartphone in the hand before...

pentile matrix in osf oled and lower screen resolution...over saturated colors with a blue tint

problems with screen brightness in daylight

thats the disadvantages (real black, probably less power-consumption - depending on theme and not angular dependent are advantages)

both have advantages and disadvantages

I don't get all this fuss over amoled and none amoled ,I have a san fran with amoled and the monte carlo without, The monte is better in my opinion as for using i can tell no difference.

Guest dadashi

I don't get all this fuss over amoled and none amoled ,I have a san fran with amoled and the monte carlo without, The monte is better in my opinion as for using i can tell no difference.

OLED and LCD differences, QUOTE:

OLED pixels are self illuminating, unlike your traditional LCD screen which requires back lighting. This means less power consumption and longer battery life and thinner displays. This is not the only benefit of having OLED screens. They offer SUPERIOR brightness, viewing angle, response time and contrast ratios. Not to even mention that the screens are so flexible to fit in phone screens and cameras.

the standard OLED screen used in the OSF is actually worse than your average TFT in direct sunlight (i have both versions of the blade here). only the Super AMOLED and Super AMOLED Plus panels used in Samsung's own devices are made in a way that resolves this somewhat.

its pros and cons but the crappy pixel density of the pentile matrix is kinda an issue on a smaller display - much harder to make out text on moderately zoomed out web pages. battery life might be better based on black background Android UI use, but not the case if you're browsing and introducing a lot of white backgrounds. then it's gonna be a lot worse. on the upside the AMOLED has vibrant colours and ultra deep blacks and is very pleasurable to look at in general use without too much natural light.

and neither version of the blade has natural colour reproduction...the OLED is overly warm (red/pink hue) and the TFT is too cool (blue tinted), at least on the TFT units i've seen. i'd imagine the OMC is pleasure to use for browsing with the larger screen and standard pixel layout.

Edited by Hanks6

Guest dadashi

What bothers me the most with OMC is the small viewing angle, I really have to hold it straight in front of me. If I leave it on a table and look at it from an angle its hardly visible...

My OLED OSF doesn't have a problem with this, view from any angle even 180°

Guest tilal6991
What bothers me the most with OMC is the small viewing angle, I really have to hold it straight in front of me. If I leave it on a table and look at it from an angle its hardly visible...

My OLED OSF doesn't have a problem with this, view from any angle even 180°

That's a problem at low brightness. Turn it up and see what happens.

Guest dadashi

You're right :D turned it on full and it's a beautifull screen. Compared the screen to the GalaxyS2 screen which is also 4.3" and there wasn't much difference....

And with the overclocking kernel promising 1Ghz speeds I'm warming up to the OMC more and more...now only the unlock and the scales will tip completely to OMC from OSF....OMG :lol:

Edited by dadashi

Guest tilal6991

And? Whats the difference with CM7? :) Speed? Battery?

Antutu with overclock I can get over 1900. Quadrant - over 1500.

Battery seems to be infinite on standby - depends on brightness while using.