Photo

Buyers guide - read this before you order an AndyPad (and ask me questions!)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Since I have had a lot more exposure to the AndyPads than most, I thought i'd post this topic in advance of the pre-orders going live tomorrow (i'll update it as units start shipping etc.). If you have any questions post them below and i'll add them.

The 2 versions

There are 2 versions of the AndyPad available - the AndyPad (which i'll call the 'Standard') and the AndyPad Pro. The Standard version comes in at £129 and features 8GB of internal storage, the Pro version comes in at £179 and features 16GB of internal storage as well as adding a rear camera, a capacitive 1024x600 screen and Bluetooth.

Internally, the devices have very similar specifications. They both run the RK2918 (Rockchip) chipset, share a lot of their components and their software builds are based on the same release - they look very similar in use. The AndyPad Standard is a bespoke design, the AndyPad Pro is actually a recoloured and rebadged Tecsel T760 tablet.

Are the Pro features worth the £50?

That's the question isn't it. Camera - not really for most people. Bluetooth - not really for most people. 16GB of storage - arguably not really for most people as we have microSD on board. Capacitive 1024x600 screen? Absolutely! The screen on the Pro is much, much (*100) better than that of the Standard. Higher res, brighter, multitouch... the screen is absolutely the 'Standard' AndyPad's weak point and it's fixed with the Pro. If the Standard was packing the Pro's screen i'd say buy the Standard and don't worry about the other upgrades, but for me it's a must have.

Should I pre-order or wait?

We know pretty much what the hardware is like on the AndyPads, but we don't know what the software is like... and this can make or break a device! Chances are the AndyPad (especially the Pro, as Teclast 760 ROMs are already appearing) is going to get hacked around a bit by developers, but if you want your device to work great out of the box, then only time will tell if new-to-the-game AndyPad pull it off. Distance selling regulations state that if you pre-order and it's rubbish, you can return it within 7 days of course. Another question is whether the initial shipment will sell thru and you'll be left waiting...

So what's the software like?

I've only had a look at a very very early version, so I won't judge it too much based on that. It's a stock-ish Gingerbread (2.3.1 when is saw it), with custom colours and icons.

Is the AndyPad going to get Honeycomb / Ice Cream Sandwich?

As the status of the Honeycomb source is still closed and the ICS hardware requirements are as yet unknown, it is unwise to assume either of these will be officially released.

So, which one should I buy?

You pays your money you takes your choice. If you care at all about viewing angles, brightness and touch quality of the screen, the Pro is a definite choice over the Standard unless cost is really really really an issue above everything else.

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

Sami Beck

Sami Beck

Diehard

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade, XOOM, Andypad Pro
  • Twitter:@SamSamoon
Great guide paul! Have you tried both!

Posted Image

Perfect Condition Unlocked GEN 2 Blade: £75

http://android.modac...ocked-for-sale/

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts

Great guide paul! Have you tried both!

Briefly, yes...

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

Sami Beck

Sami Beck

Diehard

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Briefly, yes...

P

Are you going to dev for both?

Posted Image

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts

Are you going to dev for both?

Don't know what i'll do for either yet.

P

Posted Image

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,654 posts
If I get an AndyPad then I'll certainly look at knocking out a ROM or two.

Sami Beck

Sami Beck

Diehard

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

If I get an AndyPad then I'll certainly look at knocking out a ROM or two.

Ill look forward to it ;) Surely its gonna be a market winner!

Posted Image

gadgetshop

gadgetshop

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Devices:HTC ONE
  • Twitter:@seanicca
I'm looking at getting one of each, the standard for my lad and then the pro for me, hope fully both will be worth it

jimac

jimac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade + SE W995
I'm going to get the Pro version, just to have a faff about with it.
I was expecting the pre-order page to be open now, but the site is just the same as it has been but the countdown timer at 00 days.
Not recieved an e-mail confirming my registration.

I guess they are just very very busy getting things ready at the moment!

I'll keep my eyes peeled and update things on here when the site 'opens'. :)

phil8715

phil8715

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Mobile phones, mobile phones & mobile phones, football,playing snooker, watching poker, listening to music, reading & travel.

Rooting and modding phones.
  • Devices:SG Note N7000, Huawei G300
  • Twitter:@philtheclaret

I was expecting the pre-order page to be open now, but the site is just the same as it has been but the countdown timer at 00 days.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and update things on here when the site 'opens'. :)

Is the AndyPad Pro better or worse than the Advent Vega?

jimac

jimac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Website updated - 9 hours until launch. :)

Sami Beck

Sami Beck

Diehard

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Is the AndyPad Pro better or worse than the Advent Vega?

Well Vega has Honeycomb and a Tegra 2 but the screen is shi........... pardon my french
AndyPad has promise if the Pro screen is much better. But spec wise its probably not quite as good but still packs a punch!

Posted Image

phil8715

phil8715

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Mobile phones, mobile phones & mobile phones, football,playing snooker, watching poker, listening to music, reading & travel.

Rooting and modding phones.
  • Devices:SG Note N7000, Huawei G300
  • Twitter:@philtheclaret

Well Vega has Honeycomb and a Tegra 2 but the screen is shi........... pardon my french
AndyPad has promise if the Pro screen is much better. But spec wise its probably not quite as good but still packs a punch!

Will it run flash player 10.3?

StuMcBill

StuMcBill

Diehard

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Devices:HTC One M8

I'll keep my eyes peeled and update things on here when the site 'opens'.

It seems to be open now!

HTC One M8 & Nexus 7 (2013)

jimac

jimac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
indeed it does! :)

echolock

echolock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One
  • Twitter:@atdotdavid
Exciting that the pre-order page is up now, but it doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know.

I'm going to wait for full reviews of both units before deciding which, if any, to buy. I'd love for the AndyPad (basic) to be good, as £130 is easier to justify to myself than £180 - you can get a Hanspree Hanspad (which I'm told is OK) for £150ish, and an Advent Vega (which they've hacked Honeycomb onto) for £200 so it's less of a no-brainer for me at that price point.

Fingers crossed the AndyPad (basic)'s screen is responsive enough - I really don't care too much about viewing angles as I'll be the only one viewing most of the time ;-)

A long-time lurker disguised as a newbie.
SPV E200 (HTC Voyager) -> SPV C500 (HTC Typhoon) -> SPV C600 (HTC Tornado) -> SPV E650 (HTC Vox) -> MDA Compact IV (HTC Victor/Diamond) -> Nexus One (HTC Passion)

The Soup Thief

The Soup Thief

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5 (N4 etc retired)
  • Twitter:@TheSoupThief
I've a stupid question
I see from the Andypad website that both the basic and the pro have cameras I see (standard having only front facing - I assume front is the one facing the user, while the pro seems to have front and rear cameras).

Am I right in thinking the basic has a microphone? I've assumed that anything with a camera will have a mic too, for skype type purposes, but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere

Just thinking that the basic might be a neat skype, email and web browsing solution for a certain elderly relly of mine who's about as likely to need to go near games as I am to go near a stair lift (he has a wifi connection though is sufficiently discombobulated by his laptop that he only uses it when he really has to!)

Lew247

Lew247

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy S3
Is it worth buying the Andypad pro as it seems to be really a Teclast T760 which can be bought direct from China including postage for £20 cheaper?

The Soup Thief

The Soup Thief

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5 (N4 etc retired)
  • Twitter:@TheSoupThief

Is it worth buying the Andypad pro as it seems to be really a Teclast T760 which can be bought direct from China including postage for £20 cheaper?

(shh... don't wanna say this too loud, but I'm not sure it is such a great deal. It will live or die by its dev support and the resultant interest...)
(the Lenovo IdeaPad A1 looks a good bet too - $199, only a single core processor but capacitive screen etc)

Lew247

Lew247

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy S3

(the Lenovo IdeaPad A1 looks a good bet too - $199, only a single core processor but capacitive screen etc)

£125 and it has a capacitive screen http://bit.ly/riLUzh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users