Can anyone figure this out?

Guest Al_Jolson

Guest Al_Jolson

Something really wierd happened to my SGS2 on Sunday. All of a sudden I lost all of my files. My SD card and the internal memory were totally erased, but the 2GB system partition remained untouched. However, the wierdest thing of all is that not only was the internal storage wiped, but it was then overwritten by multiple seemingly junk files, each one 1GB in size. These files had no file extension and were named FILL0, FILL1, FILL2 etc, and the fact that they were there meant that I couldn't even deep scan the drive with recovery software to get any of my files back.

Can anybody make any sense of this?

I thought at first that this was a remote wipe issued by the ActiveSync server at my work, which apparently happens after 3 failed login, however the ActiveSync log files at work show no unusual activity. I also wondered if it could be some sort of malfunction of the wipe out feature from samsungdive.com, but neither of these things go as far as to wipe the SD card or to overwrite the internal memory with junk files. I also ran a Kaspersky Mobile Security scan but that found nothing untowards.

I've abandoned any hope of recovering my files, but I'm just intrigued to know what happened.

• 6 months later...
Guest edgarpoole

Thanks for looking anyway guys. Sadly that was me on XDA. Looks like this hasn't happened to anyone else. Hope it stays that way.

Exactly the same thing just happened to me. Anyone else? Question I have is Will it happen again?

Xperia Arc S

• 1 month later...
Guest Al_Jolson

Just spotted that this old thread had been updated. Sorry to see that someone else has been affected, edgarpoole. The good news is that it has never happened to me again. As I recall I wasn't running an anti-virus at the time, but swiftly downloaded one thereafter. I used Kaspersky for a while but then moved to Lookout. Either they have kept me safe, or the issue simply never recurred.