Overclockable kernel for the ZTE Skate

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest kallt_kaffe

EDIT 2011-09-07:

Kernel that goes to 1036.8MHz: http://android.modac...ost__p__1796809

Kernel that goes to 1036.8MHz and also overclocks the AHB bus with 33% (compared to the kernel above): http://android.modac...ost__p__1796875

The source changes has been pushed here: https://github.com/TomGiordano/kernel_zte_blade/tree/2.6.35

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I DO NOT OWN A ZTE SKATE AND CANNOT TEST THEM MYSELF!

----

Someone asked me if I could add overclocking to the ZTE Skate and I've looked at the source and it looks very doable.

However, I do not own a ZTE Skate so I cannot do any testing myself so I need to check a few things.

1. Do you have a working Clockwork recovery for the ZTE Skate (I believe you do) and can it be accessed with (for example) volume down even if the boot partition is f-cked up.
  2. I want a copy of /proc/config.gz from a ZTE Skate (to make sure the config in the released source is identical to the actual firmware on the sold phones)

Once I have the config I will compile a kernel without overclocking so that someone can confirm that a kernel form the released source works at all (it propably will as both me and TomG allready managed to use the source for the ZTE Blade and ZTE V9). After that, the fun starts. :)

Guest kallt_kaffe

strictly speaking that's paul's superboot kernel, nobody has dumped an unmodified MonteCarlo/Staraddict kernel yet.

this was looking promising, but they guy installed clockworkmod

As I understand it the unmodified boot.img is in one of the stickys in this thread but it lacks an unmodified dump of the stock recovery partition.

I would expect Pauls superboot uses the stock kernel but with a modified init.rc that "injects" su and SuperUser.apk. He also must have changed default.prop to make adb run as root directly.

Also the config matches the config in the released 2.6.35 source so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Guest dadashi

As I understand it the unmodified boot.img is in one of the stickys in this thread but it lacks an unmodified dump of the stock recovery partition.

I would expect Pauls superboot uses the stock kernel but with a modified init.rc that "injects" su and SuperUser.apk. He also must have changed default.prop to make adb run as root directly.

Also the config matches the config in the released 2.6.35 source so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Unmodified stock ROMs for Orange Monte Carlo/ZTE Skate

Guest kallt_kaffe

Kernel works fine :)

Good, now keep that .zip on your sd-card in case you need to switch back to it later.

Now, let the fun start... (Oh, and by the way, 787.2MHz is the real stock speed of a ZTE Skate) (I recommend NoFrills CPU Control for overclocking although SetCPU should be fine too)

zte_skate_overclockable_kernel.zip

Guest kallt_kaffe

Boots fine

Good... I did accidently overclock the AHB bus in the first version. Perhaps the Skate is more sensitive to AHB overclocking? Anyway... I'll enable some more frequencies upload a new version.

Guest sej7278

well not really, there's plenty of unset config options that differ, meaning they'll revert to default values. you certainly can't build anything like the stock kernel using the released config.

$ diff msm7627_skate_defconfig omc_stock.config 

4c4

< # Tue Jan 25 22:18:41 2011

---

> # Tue Jul 19 20:37:35 2011

275a276,279

> # CONFIG_MACH_BLADE2 is not set

> # CONFIG_MACH_NOVA is not set

> # CONFIG_MACH_SAILBOAT is not set

> # CONFIG_MACH_TURIES is not set

285c289

< # CONFIG_ZTE_TURIES is not set

---

> # CONFIG_MACH_RACER2 is not set

286a291,292

> # CONFIG_MACH_ROAMER is not set

> # CONFIG_MACH_BLUETICK is not set

478a485

> # CONFIG_ZTE_NO_CPUFREQ_ONDEMAND_KEYBOARD is not set

819a827

> # CONFIG_NET_CLS_CGROUP is not set

1189a1198

> # CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_CY8CTST241 is not set

1205d1213

< CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_SYNAPTICS_3K=y

1206a1215

> CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_SYNAPTICS_3K=y

1220a1230

> # CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_FOCALTECH_NEW is not set

1318a1329

> # CONFIG_I2C_DESIGNWARE is not set

1339a1351,1352

> # CONFIG_MSENSORS_FROM_AUXI2C_TO_I2C is not set

> # CONFIG_GSENSORS_FROM_AUXI2C_TO_I2C is not set

1348a1362

> # CONFIG_NFC_PN544 is not set

1371a1386

> # CONFIG_TI_GAUGE is not set

1389a1405,1406

> # CONFIG_MFD_T7L66XB is not set

> # CONFIG_MFD_TC6387XB is not set

1466a1484

> # CONFIG_HI704 is not set

1468a1487,1488

> # CONFIG_S5K5CAGX is not set

> # CONFIG_S5K5CAGX_MCNEX_QTECH is not set

1475a1496

> # CONFIG_CAMERA_N880 is not set

1484a1506

> # CONFIG_MSM_KGSL_CFF_DUMP is not set

1557a1580

> # CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_BLADE2_WVGA is not set

1558a1582,1584

> # CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_NOVA_HVGA is not set

> # CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_SAILBOAT_HVGA is not set

> # CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_HIMAX_QVGA725A is not set

1575a1602

> # CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_HVGA_ROAMER_PANEL is not set

1578a1606

> # CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_BLADE2_WVGA_PANEL is not set

1579a1608,1609

> # CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_NOVA_HVGA_PANEL is not set

> # CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_SAILBOAT_HVGA_PANEL is not set

1581a1612

> # CONFIG_FB_MSM_LCDC_HIMAX_QVGA_725A_PANEL is not set

Guest kallt_kaffe
well not really, there's plenty of unset config options that differ, meaning they'll revert to default values. you certainly can't build anything like the stock kernel using the released config.

Do a "make msm7627_defconfig" and then compare the resulting .config with the config extracted from the Orange Monte Carlo.

Guest sej7278

Do a "make msm7627_defconfig" and then compare the resulting .config with the config extracted from the Orange Monte Carlo.

ah got it now, that's odd, and actually its msm7627_skate_defconfig the other one is totally different

Edited by sej7278

Guest Adam Cable

This one only has a 806.4MHz mode but I also changed on more thing that might have caused the freeze.(I hope you aren't getting bored. It's really frustrating not having the actual phone to test it myself)

Still no joy. No issue in testing either - just keeps my afternoon ticking over :)