CM6.1 691mhz boot.img "fixed"?

Guest twrock

I've spent quite a bit of time this weekend looking at boot images. I noticed something consistently strange in every CM6.1 boot.img I looked at. Maybe it's nothing, but I would appreciate anyone who can help me test it.

Attached is a slightly modified 691mhz boot.img for CM6.1 in an installable format. All you need to do is to make a nandroid backup, and then install this zip in Recovery. Of course if you want to have the most accurate measure, you will need to charge your phone to 100% and wipe the battery stats in Recovery, or install Battery Calibrator from the Market. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to wipe cache, but I'm not sure.

I found after running this boot.img for a short time that my CPU had a much higher percentage of time at the lowest setting. This makes sense since the phone is in screen-off mode most of the time. (But previously this was not true for me.) Could this be the "battery drain" issue some people have reported with the CM6.1 roms? :huh: I can't say for sure yet, but I'd appreciate it if anyone would help test my theory. Please give feedback as soon as you have any.

Incidentally, the default speed is 614mhz, the same as the previous OC boot.img used in the "Basic" rom I made and the CM Plus rom Antonio made. It should be able to be used in either of those two roms just fine.

Here is the file: CM61-OCbootimg-TWfix614.zip

Edited by twrock

I'll try it now.

EDIT:

Hahaha, you really fixed it! I don't have force closes when I'm syncinc the contacts and now MyPhoneExplorer works with cm6 to!

Thank you very much.

I'll charge it tonight so I can check the battery tomorrow.

Edited by D-D-

Guest EgyptoBoy

Twrock, can you do the same to 748mhz kernel?

yes high speed and battery save very cool i need it too(i can run this speed) please try to upload it at 748mhz

Edited by EgyptoBoy

Twrock, can you do the same to 748mhz kernel?

You would have to give me the 748 boot.img that you want me to try to "fix". I only have the 528 "original" from Tom G, and the 691 from Starkos. I do not know how to compile kernels, only how to modify the "ramdisk" part of the boot.img. (A boot.img is a combination of a kernel and a ramdisk.)

I'll try it now.

EDIT:

Hahaha, you really fixed it! I don't have force closes when I'm syncinc the contacts and now MyPhoneExplorer works with cm6 to!

Thank you very much.

I'll charge it tonight so I can check the battery tomorrow.

Really?!! :huh:

I didn't think the change would make that much of a difference, but who knows.

I'm personally not seeing improved battery life. But then again, I'm the person who never sees any improvement in battery life. <_<

Here, Twrock, in the middle of this forum page

android.modaco.com/topic/318152-overclock/page__st__360__p__1468900#entry1468900

i'm sorry I can't give a direct link :(

Guest EgyptoBoy

You would have to give me the 748 boot.img that you want me to try to "fix". I only have the 528 "original" from Tom G, and the 691 from Starkos. I do not know how to compile kernels, only how to modify the "ramdisk" part of the boot.img. (A boot.img is a combination of a kernel and a ramdisk.)

http://android.modac...attach_id=65781

please try to make it save battery

thank you for ur help

Edited by EgyptoBoy

Really?!! :huh:

I didn't think the change would make that much of a difference, but who knows.

I'm personally not seeing improved battery life. But then again, I'm the person who never sees any improvement in battery life. <_<

Your battery life problems are most likely related to a certain app you have installed or the settings you have turned on ie gps, bluetooth, 3g etc. I've been running cm6.1 with 710 oc since it was released and battery life is better than what I would expect from a smartphone?

Edited by starkos

Your battery life problems are most likely related to a certain app you have installed or the settings you have turned on ie gps, bluetooth, 3g etc. I've been running cm6.1 with 710 oc since it was released and battery life is better than what I would expect from a smartphone?

I have thought as much as well. However, I can do a "stock" install of CM6.1, install no apps, set everything I can find to optimize battery life, and still have my battery drop over 10-15% overnight (8 hours or less). That is with no use at all. That can't be right.

Today sat for 10 minutes with a cpu monitor app and watched the frequency only drop to 245mhz momentarily before immediately jumping back up to 614 (default) and sitting there for more than 90% of the time. But the monitor was showing me that I had less than 20% cpu usage. That can't be right. It makes no sense to me.

I know I don't know much, but if the cpu settings in the rom are any indication, the frequency in this boot.img is supposed to drop when the load is below 60% and not go back up until the load reaches 76%. That is not what I am seeing.

BTW, you'll probably know what this means and can hopefully tell me if it matters at all. What I noticed is that in stock Huawei roms, the cpu sampling_rate is set at 200000 (in init.qcom.sh). But in the CM6.1 boot.img's it is set at 20000, 10 times less (in init.qcom.rc). Purposefully, or did Tom just make a typo? I have no idea, but that is what I was trying to test.

And with all the other complaining about CM6 roms, I think there is more to it than just my phone. Please give any other feedback you have. Thanks.

Edit: Regarding "stock install", please let me clarify. I have been installing DT Apps2SD in addition to the base rom and gapps. Do you run DT a2sd or use the built-in? Can you elaborate on your setup?

Edited by twrock

Guest EgyptoBoy

please can you upload a kernel like your 710mhz but with 748mhz oc (because i loved your 710 kernel and i want higher freq because my device can run it without errors)

I have thought as much as well. However, I can do a "stock" install of CM6.1, install no apps, set everything I can find to optimize battery life, and still have my battery drop over 10-15% overnight (8 hours or less). That is with no use at all. That can't be right.

Today sat for 10 minutes with a cpu monitor app and watched the frequency only drop to 245mhz momentarily before immediately jumping back up to 614 (default) and sitting there for more than 90% of the time. But the monitor was showing me that I had less than 20% cpu usage. That can't be right. It makes no sense to me.

I know I don't know much, but if the cpu settings in the rom are any indication, the frequency in this boot.img is supposed to drop when the load is below 60% and not go back up until the load reaches 76%. That is not what I am seeing.

BTW, you'll probably know what this means and can hopefully tell me if it matters at all. What I noticed is that in stock Huawei roms, the cpu sampling_rate is set at 200000 (in init.qcom.sh). But in the CM6.1 boot.img's it is set at 20000, 10 times less (in init.qcom.rc). Purposefully, or did Tom just make a typo? I have no idea, but that is what I was trying to test.

And with all the other complaining about CM6 roms, I think there is more to it than just my phone. Please give any other feedback you have. Thanks.

Edit: Regarding "stock install", please let me clarify. I have been installing DT Apps2SD in addition to the base rom and gapps. Do you run DT a2sd or use the built-in? Can you elaborate on your setup?

Hey, sorry for late reply. Unfortunately I don't know much about about the sampling_rate etc, but from what I understand it is the frequency that the cpu load is checked to adjust the clock speed as appropriate (ondemand_governor), so if the clock speed jumps up it should be because something is loading the cpu. As the Pulse has old hardware I guess it makes sense that basic tasks would load the cpu?

Not sure what cpu monitoring app you're using but I personally use the latest setCPU for monitoring/checking that kind of stuff. Also as you had the app open that would prob explain why the cpu clock kept jumping up as it was loading the cpu doing it's monitoring. I guess increasing the sampling_rate might reduce how often the clock speed jumps up, but that may also mean a reduction in performance?

With regard to my set up, I've never used DT. I use a couple of firerat's scripts (not sure if they will do every thing you would want though?) for apps2sd. And I have a swap partition that is controlled by a script in init.d. Haven't played with the pulse for ages but I basically have a modded rom of what Tom released. Think I deleted some of the default apps so maybe that had an effect? If you can connect your phone via adb maybe do a ls of your /system/app/ directory & paste it up so I can see what I've deleted?

I guess there's also the possibility you have a dodgy battery :D The above is also all speculation by the way, I don't have any specific knowledge on the matter at all lol!

please can you upload a kernel like your 710mhz but with 748mhz oc (because i loved your 710 kernel and i want higher freq because my device can run it without errors)

Sorry, I don't even have access to the pc that has all the source files etc anymore. I'm pretty sure someone posted one somewhere though, as I remember helping him calculate the numbers?

Edited by starkos

Hey, sorry for late reply. Unfortunately I don't know much about about the sampling_rate etc, but from what I understand it is the frequency that the cpu load is checked to adjust the clock speed as appropriate (ondemand_governor), so if the clock speed jumps up it should be because something is loading the cpu. As the Pulse has old hardware I guess it makes sense that basic tasks would load the cpu?

Not sure what cpu monitoring app you're using but I personally use the latest setCPU for monitoring/checking that kind of stuff. Also as you had the app open that would prob explain why the cpu clock kept jumping up as it was loading the cpu doing it's monitoring. I guess increasing the sampling_rate might reduce how often the clock speed jumps up, but that may also mean a reduction in performance?

With regard to my set up, I've never used DT. I use a couple of firerat's scripts (not sure if they will do every thing you would want though?) for apps2sd. And I have a swap partition that is controlled by a script in init.d. Haven't played with the pulse for ages but I basically have a modded rom of what Tom released. Think I deleted some of the default apps so maybe that had an effect? If you can connect your phone via adb maybe do a ls of your /system/app/ directory & paste it up so I can see what I've deleted?

I guess there's also the possibility you have a dodgy battery :D The above is also all speculation by the way, I don't have any specific knowledge on the matter at all lol!

Unfortunately I get the same results whether I observe the cpu with SetCPU or some other cpu monitoring/reporting app. Regardless of how low the load is (even when the load goes into single digit percentage and stays there), the CPU spends almost all its time running at a full 528mhz (or higher, if I have an OC kernel installed). It seems to be the same regardless of the rom (stock roms included). I also have multiple batteries, and the behaviour is the same between those.

This bad battery life has been frustrating to me for quite a long time. I think I'm starting to just resign myself to the idea that there is something bad with my phone that no amount of rom/software tweaking is going to solve. I'm a few months out from the end of my contract. I will be getting a new phone then, and it will likely be an HTC (something that is readily supported by CyanogenMod).

Incidentally, Tom is still using that same number for sampling_rate in CM7. I'm not sure what it does, but he must be being purposeful about it.

Guest skycatcher

Just wanted to say thanks twrock for this rom. It is the best i have used (and i've used a few!). very few fcs and generally quick. it does lock up every now and then but i can live with that!