Orange Monte Carlo, support for noob

Guest Garej

Hi, I posted this already in the Superboot pinned topic, but thought this would get more exposure :)

I'm new to all this Android/smartphone stuff - which led me here. I just bought the Monte Carlo from Orange, arriving tomorrow, and am aware of the orange clogging apps. I've got an Ipod touch and want that ability to add/delete apps (the orange ones) which the MC doesn't do. So if I were to do this superboot, would that alone enable me to delete the orange apps as I wish? Or would I need to do something else?

Also I'm not that clued up with the mac terminal, so should I even attempt this?!

Cheers

Can anyone advise on the actual process involved?? As in syncing the terminal with the phone for the superboot or however it works?

Yeah...i'll update this and tell you :)

You need to have two things...a custom rom which you want to flash on to your phone and a recovery tool.

Both the rom and recovery tool can be download, the rom needs to be copied onto your SD card as a .zip file...you don't extract anything and the recovery tool needs to be put onto your computer (your desktop should be fine).

To boot into the recovery mode, all you need to do is connect your cmoputer and phone via a data cable, click 'Setup' when the popup window opens and install the stuff that needs to be installed (it will pop up asking you, you just need to confirm etc).

When that's done, you run 'install-recovery-windows.bat' from your recovery folder from your computer, your phone should now boot and when the green robot shows up...press and hold the 'Volume' key on your phone until recovery loads.

Then you follow the procudure of flashing...

Edited by Navie

Yeah...i'll update this and tell you :)

You need to have two things...a custom rom which you want to flash on to your phone and a recovery tool.

Both the rom and recovery tool can be download, the rom needs to be copied onto your SD card as a .zip file...you don't extract anything and the recovery tool needs to be put onto your computer (your desktop should be fine).

To boot into the recovery mode, all you need to do is connect your cmoputer and phone via a data cable, click 'Setup' when the popup window opens and install the stuff that needs to be installed (it will pop up asking you, you just need to confirm etc).

When that's done, you run 'install-recovery-windows.bat' from your recovery folder from your computer, your phone should now boot and when the green robot shows up...press and hold the 'Volume' key on your phone until recovery loads.

Then you follow the procudure of flashing...

Ah right ok, thanks. Didn't realise those two things had to be done before. Just out of interest, why do the rom and recovery? I'm guessing the recovery tool is to reset the phone back to its original factory mode? Or am I wrong?

Phone arrived today but cant use it for a few hours as the new sim needs time to update my number apparently.

Ah right ok, thanks. Didn't realise those two things had to be done before. Just out of interest, why do the rom and recovery? I'm guessing the recovery tool is to reset the phone back to its original factory mode? Or am I wrong?

Phone arrived today but cant use it for a few hours as the new sim needs time to update my number apparently.

I'm not sure but your right I think, I read somewhere on this forum posted by someone else...that the recovery replaces the 'Orange network' backup if you need to restore to defaults.

The rom is just to replace your existing rom and has to be put on the SD card purely because you have to wipe the whole of the phone and not the SD card :) ...as i'm explaining this to you, i'm trying to remember the best way to put it as I have only covered the meaning a couple of times :P

I'm not sure but your right I think, I read somewhere on this forum posted by someone else...that the recovery replaces the 'Orange network' backup if you need to restore to defaults.

The rom is just to replace your existing rom and has to be put on the SD card purely because you have to wipe the whole of the phone and not the SD card :) ...as i'm explaining this to you, i'm trying to remember the best way to put it as I have only covered the meaning a couple of times :P

Hehe, no worries. So will doing the rom replacement get rid of the interface, or will that all stay the same? Also is doing this going to effect the phone's Orange network in anyway?? Sorry if these are daft questions, Im just trying to educate myself!

Hehe, no worries. So will doing the rom replacement get rid of the interface, or will that all stay the same? Also is doing this going to effect the phone's Orange network in anyway?? Sorry if these are daft questions, Im just trying to educate myself!

What do you mean by the interface?...if you mean the UI...no, however you can modify it. Nope...it won't affect your Orange network as in the signal etc, it does make your warranty void though. i'm only answering these questions from my knowledge but its good knowledge so hopefully haven't gave out bad info :P

Its cool...no worries.

What do you mean by the interface?...if you mean the UI...no, however you can modify it. Nope...it won't affect your Orange network as in the signal etc, it does make your warranty void though. i'm only answering these questions from my knowledge but its good knowledge so hopefully haven't gave out bad info :P

Its cool...no worries.

Yeah sorry I did mean the UI. Just got the phone up and running with orange, downloaded laucnher pro, and it doesnt look too bad. Might leave it like this for a bit. Its all good info!

Got another question though! As I'm on pay as you go, I'm trying to use as much wifi as possible cos I know its going to drain my 100mb a month dolphin plan if I just use 3g. So I was thinking, will the phone use wi fi to do all the data accessing instead of 3g?

I've also turned off 'data enable' and 'always-on mobile data' off for now, will this be enough to stop 3g downloading/updating stuff? I've also got the apn on/off widget to turn off 3g when needed as well.

Yeah sorry I did mean the UI. Just got the phone up and running with orange, downloaded laucnher pro, and it doesnt look too bad. Might leave it like this for a bit. Its all good info!

Got another question though! As I'm on pay as you go, I'm trying to use as much wifi as possible cos I know its going to drain my 100mb a month dolphin plan if I just use 3g. So I was thinking, will the phone use wi fi to do all the data accessing instead of 3g?

I've also turned off 'data enable' and 'always-on mobile data' off for now, will this be enough to stop 3g downloading/updating stuff? I've also got the apn on/off widget to turn off 3g when needed as well.

When I installed my new rom or when I first started my phone up as brand new, I only left the data on for a couple of minutes and then turned it off and has been off ever since, unless I install a new rom...I will leave it on for 2 minutes and turn it back off :) ...in my experience, you don;t need 3g unless you are sending bigger than normal amounts of data...like a MMS message to someone :)

The 'Data enabled' option controls the 3G, however...if its turned on and you have WIFI reception then your WIFI takes over, I guess this explains that you can use WIFI in place of 3G :) ...practically you don't need 3G if you have WIFI...that's jusy my opinion though.

It is possible to drain your 3G..if your downloading loads of apps of course.

However...if you do need to use 3G...100mb is more than enough in a month, you can always turn off picture/flash content on your browser, receiving emails etc don't take much anyway, hope that helps :)

Edited by Navie

Cool, I thought thats what Wifi did as my mb usage didnt move after a couple of widget downloads at home. :)

Just been looking at the custom roms, which one should I download? Think the ones on here are blueginger and gingerbread. Im just a bit confused as it seems by users comments that the layouts changed, but I'm quite happy with my launcher pro layout at the moment.

Also I think on the blueginger topic, someone posted saying that superboot and clockworkmod recovery had to be done first before installing the rom, whereas you said rom and recovery had to be done first! :blink:

Cool, I thought thats what Wifi did as my mb usage didnt move after a couple of widget downloads at home. :)

Just been looking at the custom roms, which one should I download? Think the ones on here are blueginger and gingerbread. Im just a bit confused as it seems by users comments that the layouts changed, but I'm quite happy with my launcher pro layout at the moment.

Also I think on the blueginger topic, someone posted saying that superboot and clockworkmod recovery had to be done first before installing the rom, whereas you said rom and recovery had to be done first! :blink:

i will be uploading a new custom rom by the end of tomorrow, just adding some finishing touches to it smile.gif

Edited by tillaz

Still a bit confused. I know you said Navie that I need clockworkmod and a custom rom, and then superboot.

Done some research and I understand clockworkmod should be installed first. Next is where im a bit confused. If I install one of the custom roms, will I need to do superboot? As I think blueginger has already removed some of the orange rubbish, and Gingerbread is rooted already.

But If I just want the orange apps removed will superboot be enough??

Guest tilal6991

Still a bit confused. I know you said Navie that I need clockworkmod and a custom rom, and then superboot.

Done some research and I understand clockworkmod should be installed first. Next is where im a bit confused. If I install one of the custom roms, will I need to do superboot? As I think blueginger has already removed some of the orange rubbish, and Gingerbread is rooted already.

But If I just want the orange apps removed will superboot be enough??

If you just want to remove Orange apps then root it using superboot.

However if you want to install a custom rom you don't "need" to root - just install CWM.