[STOPPED] CyanogenMod Beta2 Omnia 2 (updated: 04.05.2012)

Guest voyteckst

Guest lilfarhad94

My Omnia android doesnt run whit thits changes and updates. When is loading the phone vibrate but doesnt run.

got the same problem ..

Guest AoSra1n

@lilfarhad94 Try doing updates one by one and rebooting. Isolate where the problem lies. Make sure ur not copying over param.ko in modules and make sure ur deleting dalvik-cache after updates. It should work.

@nikkotsoi. I did have electric sound with music, prior to updates. Appears to be worse for higher bitrate songs, so i assume its a problem with reading android and music files off SD card at same time. Im going to be transferring my music to My Storage and getting android to scan that directory. But with new update the songs play fine most of the time with only intermittent problems when im multitasking on the phone. So not a huge issue for me.

@aeg. Format with minitool partition wizard.

@marciosironi. Get Root Explorer.

@killoper. Yes, just look elsewhere on this forum, plenty of guides to install in My Storage.

@Ercanpolat. If no signal or airplane sign but airplane mode is unchecked... Try turning on and off airplane mode. Then rebooting. I am successful when i reboot phone and i see airplane mode is checked. Then i uncheck and phone signal turns on. Its a bit tricky.

Guest shoarmabakpao

@ AoSra1nA

I tried your guide, just to see if it really works. I already had all those tweaks and some more on my device. I backed up everything I needed and then I formatted my card. I made 3 partitions on my own (I wanted to have a bigger swap)

Then I followed your guide, just to see if it really works, and it sure did!

Props to you for making an easy guide for people that did not know how to do all these things :)

Guest AoSra1n

@ AoSra1nA

I tried your guide, just to see if it really works. I already had all those tweaks and some more on my device. I backed up everything I needed and then I formatted my card. I made 3 partitions on my own (I wanted to have a bigger swap)

Then I followed your guide, just to see if it really works, and it sure did!

Props to you for making an easy guide for people that did not know how to do all these things :)

No problem. Just wanted to make it easier for people to find the tweaks without going through page after page. Ideally i wouldve created an update patch with all of the tweaks, but then i wouldnt be acknowledging the tweak owner's adequately. Because the props really go to the people (including you) who took the time to tweak and share their modifications. I can now use android daily with only occasional freezes.

You mentioned more tweaks. Do you have any more finished tweaks to share?

Guest shoarmabakpao

These tweaks are all done on your phone running Android CMB2 with all the tweaks and kernel!

1. Use LauncherPro.

2. Go to LauncherPro preferences, go to Advanced Settings and change the opening speed to 10 for both options.

3. Disable all animations.

4. Use Compcache and set it to 18%

5. Disable surface dithering.

6. Use swapper2 and set swappiness to 100. I got my swap at 338mb. I dont mind waiting 2-3sec for some apps to load. I use a very fast Class10 SDcard so swapping goes fast here. Also swap is required for playing demanding games!

7. When playing heavy games such as Angry Birds Space, I recommend to switch of your WiFi/Data, also switch the music off inside the games settings.

8. Go to contacts and disable the contact pictures.

9. Reboot every day =)

By the way, if we want to run ICS on the Omnia 2, then we need better 2d/3d drivers. I tested ICS on an LG GT540 and I downclocked its cpu all the way down to 400Mhz and it still stayed liquid smooth which means, the GPU is doing about all the rendering. (the phone used Nova Launcher with all those cool ICS effects) Going below 400Mhz made the phone a little bit laggy.

Edited by shoarmabakpao

Guest AoSra1n

These tweaks are all done on your phone running Android CMB2 with all the tweaks and kernel!

1. Use LauncherPro.

2. Go to LauncherPro preferences, go to Advanced Settings and change the opening speed to 10 for both options.

3. Disable all animations.

4. Use Compcache and set it to 18%

5. Disable surface dithering.

6. Use swapper2 and set swappiness to 100. I got my swap at 338mb. I dont mind waiting 2-3sec for some apps to load. I use a very fast Class10 SDcard so swapping goes fast here. Also swap is required for playing demanding games!

7. When playing heavy games such as Angry Birds Space, I recommend to switch of your WiFi/Data, also switch the music off inside the games settings.

8. Go to contacts and disable the contact pictures.

9. Reboot every day =)

By the way, if we want to run ICS on the Omnia 2, then we need better 2d/3d drivers. I tested ICS on an LG GT540 and I downclocked its cpu all the way down to 400Mhz and it still stayed liquid smooth which means, the GPU is doing about all the rendering. (the phone used Nova Launcher with all those cool ICS effects) Going below 400Mhz made the phone a little bit laggy.

Thanks for the tips. Ive done most except for 4,5 and 6. I'l do it now. Also I've switched to ADW Launcher Ex (Paid) from Launcher Pro. I find it to be snappier, plus i can put an ICS theme to icons. Yep, ICS is too much to ask of our devices.

Edited by AoSra1n

Guest aafi-rocks

I find 360 launcher to be the best launcher, even with all different settings and all animations on,, it is snappier and after changing the display DPI settings to 200.. it gets more snappier.

Edited by aafi-rocks

Guest shoarmabakpao

I find 360 launcher to be the best launcher, even with all different settings and all animations on,, it is snappier and after changing the display DPI settings to 200.. it gets more snappier.

Does your launcher ever needs to redraw? My launcher never redraws, even when I press the home button whilest playing Angry Birds Space =O

EDIT: I am downloading it now and will test it ^_^

Okay, I tested it and it is sooo slow! Played with it and applied a cool theme for it but 360Launcher truly is not something made for my device. ADW Launcher (ex) and LauncherPro (plus) are the only 2 launchers for me that are 100% smooth with 0% lag. It just works like it should work.

I tested 360Launcher on my fathers Galaxy S2 and saw how it should run. And it ran on my Omnia2 completely different. Sooo sluggish! The launcher itself is a nice launcher, but then for phones that can actually handle the stress. (How on the world did they made this launcher smooth on an Wildfire??? I saw it on a youtube video!@!@!@)

Edited by shoarmabakpao

Guest aafi-rocks

I am using it on my phone and it works good.. I am using the updated patches and it all works good.. I will soon post a video..

Guest shoarmabakpao

I am using it on my phone and it works good.. I am using the updated patches and it all works good.. I will soon post a video..

Please give me a link to the 360Launcher you use ^_^

EDIT: I tried out many 360Launchers so far, some were almost smooth but it made my phone SOD -.-' Had to pull the battery for 4 times already so I deleted again that 360Launcher and went back to LauncherPro because for me, that is one of the few launchers that are 100% lagfree :o

Edited by shoarmabakpao

Guest aafi-rocks

Please give me a link to the 360Launcher you use ^_^

Find attached 360 Launcher (rename to .apk). I am using this version and it works smoothly..

I am sharing this as its free, and is available to download over at XDA forum.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1345601

XDA forum has a lot of information and tweaks for this launcher, however for me it just works fine without tweaking. I just install and its ready to use.. :)

360_Launcher_V2.0_Update_1.apk.txt

Edited by aafi-rocks

Guest shoarmabakpao

Find attached 360 Launcher (rename to .apk). I am using this version and it works smoothly..

XDA forum has a lot of information and tweaks for this launcher, however for me it just works fine without tweaking. I just install and its ready to use.. :)

I tried it and it is still way too slow for me :( The launcher feels sooo slow :(

Mabey you got some setting set different? =S

Guest aafi-rocks

I tried it and it is still way too slow for me :( The launcher feels sooo slow :(

Mabey you got some setting set different? =S

Let me share my Android Setup.

I am using the CM Beta 2 with original zImage, the one included in the CM Beta2.

I have it installed in internal storage

Using the tweaks provided by you (JonathanRasaTweaksOmnia2)

No chainfire 3d patch, Nothing xtra ;-)

Guest lotuxete

Don't worry about 360 Launcher. It's slowly and laggy for sure. I've tried it some days ago, and it's quite far from LauncherPRO.

Please everyone, stop saying "my personal configuration makes my phone faster", or "I have some tricks that make my phone work like a Galaxy II". It's not true man. Chaninfire, tweaks, SD speedup... its all bo-s***.

For now the only launcher lag free is LauncherPRO with no animations. And regarding the tweaks... I've tried over one hundred millions tweaks, and there isn't a significant speed up. Stock version of CyanogenMod Beta2 works fine as is.

Bye.

Guest ErcanPolat

@lilfarhad94 Try doing updates one by one and rebooting. Isolate where the problem lies. Make sure ur not copying over param.ko in modules and make sure ur deleting dalvik-cache after updates. It should work.

@nikkotsoi. I did have electric sound with music, prior to updates. Appears to be worse for higher bitrate songs, so i assume its a problem with reading android and music files off SD card at same time. Im going to be transferring my music to My Storage and getting android to scan that directory. But with new update the songs play fine most of the time with only intermittent problems when im multitasking on the phone. So not a huge issue for me.

@aeg. Format with minitool partition wizard.

@marciosironi. Get Root Explorer.

@killoper. Yes, just look elsewhere on this forum, plenty of guides to install in My Storage.

@Ercanpolat. If no signal or airplane sign but airplane mode is unchecked... Try turning on and off airplane mode. Then rebooting. I am successful when i reboot phone and i see airplane mode is checked. Then i uncheck and phone signal turns on. Its a bit tricky.

I tried it. But when i try to turn on airplane mode "disabling wireless connections" message stays there and nothing happen.

Guest shoarmabakpao

Don't worry about 360 Launcher. It's slowly and laggy for sure. I've tried it some days ago, and it's quite far from LauncherPRO.

Please everyone, stop saying "my personal configuration makes my phone faster", or "I have some tricks that make my phone work like a Galaxy II". It's not true man. Chaninfire, tweaks, SD speedup... its all bo-s***.

For now the only launcher lag free is LauncherPRO with no animations. And regarding the tweaks... I've tried over one hundred millions tweaks, and there isn't a significant speed up. Stock version of CyanogenMod Beta2 works fine as is.

Bye.

If you say so, then you surely did it wrong =) All these tweaks and mods for CM Beta2 made CM Beta2 quite faster. I am able to use to phone to my likings and my UI remains 100% smooth. ADW Launcher (EX) (with the zoom-in app drawer similair to the app drawer of an galaxy S2) and Launcher Pro (Plus) are the only 2 launchers so far that are 100% smooth for me. Without those tweaks, ADW Launcher gets LAGGY. It stutters somewhat. With all those tweaks it does not stutter. Also the Widget Selector is smooth now thanks to Mr. ipaq.

Some versions of 360Launcher are a pain in the ass. Version 2.1 was the best one for my Omnia2 but it still was way too slow for me. ADW Launcher (ex) and LauncherPro Plus are still my choise. ADW Launcher is 100% smooth with all animations enabled. Launcher Pro is smooth with all animations disabled for the app drawer.

The launcher that I use is LauncherPro Plus, only because of the Calander Widget which is very usefull for me. My personal configuration is based on multitasking but with an smooth UI. Others might like pure speed with no multitasking.

Your personal configuration can make your phone go slow or fast, just depends on what you want to do with it :)

Stock CMB2 is fine, but with all the tweaks and mods on it, it's even better :)

Edited by shoarmabakpao

Guest AoSra1n

I tried it. But when i try to turn on airplane mode "disabling wireless connections" message stays there and nothing happen.

yes same for me. Sometimes it doesnt find signal on some boots. If it doesnt, I try tapping on airplane mode a few times (but it stays on 'disabling' like yours and doesnt change). Then i reboot (sometimes once, sometimes a few times) it will boot up with airplane mode checked... and i uncheck it and network turns on. Only major hassle for me.

I have noticed tweaks make a HUGE difference to speed. Much less lag. Dont know about the apps (chainfire, sd speed, minfree), havent particularly noticed much difference, but it hasnt slowed my phone down either. So i keep them.

I too have used launcher pro and adw launcher ex and think they are the best. Currently on the later because i have a bit more control and prefer its themes.

Edited by AoSra1n

Guest ErcanPolat

Thanks for help aosra1n. I tried again and again but no change. So I will wait for an update from developers. The mods and tweaks make my phone more responsive. Our phones has good hardware and i belive some software tunings make our phones usable for 1-2 years more :)

Edited by ErcanPolat

Guest shoarmabakpao

Thanks for help aosra1n. I tried again and again but no change. So I will wait for an update from developers. The mods and tweaks make my phone more responsive. Our phones has good hardware and i belive some software tunings make our phones usable for 1-2 years more :)

True, I will replace this phone next year in Februari. I just want a bigger screen, 1080p video recording with 720p front facing camera for skype. As things are now I will get the Galaxy SIII or any better phone (which will be not that expensive at Februari 2013)

But the main thing for me is now, that my home-button is broken, the black screen cover fell off ( I swum with this phone in Summer 2010 which might made the glue weaker T_T) Just hoping that the phone will not die before Februari 2013 :(

It is already a miracle that this phone still works. All friends of mine that dropped spilled water/juice on it made the phone die. My Uncle's Xperia X10 died last week because his Pack of Orange Juice broke in his bag which also contained his phone. His phone died :(

Guest rom_omnia2

But the main thing for me is now, that my home-button is broken, the black screen cover fell off ( I swum with this phone in Summer 2010 which might made the glue weaker T_T) Just hoping that the phone will not die before Februari 2013 :(

You can try Button Savior from Google Play/Market:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smart.swkey

It's a screen button app. I use it to save my lock (back) button that isn't that good anymore.

Guest Trauka

Hello Can we expect further development of the project and create a full firmware?

Edited by Trauka