Photo

[STOPPED] CyanogenMod Beta2 Omnia 2 (updated: 04.05.2012)

• Please log in to reply
5246 replies to this topic

nikkotsoi

nikkotsoi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Wifi should work fine. But I have to update framework on github with Sandor's sources with FMRadio.

Yes because driver must be ported from kernel 3.0 to 2.6.32.9. I don't know how much time it will take. It's not only matter of libs.
Besides spica screen resolution is 4 times lower if i calculate correctly (that's not half). That's why their benchmarks are better. Additionally their current kernel has optimized memory etc...

by the way
i got my friend 's spica with 2.2 installed and using same(or similar?) 3d driver
we got 3d score about 90 in quadrant old version
the spica also!!
but now in new version, we got only 50 something
but the spica got 2xx something
so i think the new driver will improve the performance a lot

anyway, i don't know much about the kernel
however, it is difficult for porting the driver from 3.0 back to 2.6.32.9
so can we update our whole kernel to 3.0? i think it is even more complicated right ?thank you

olivex

olivex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Samsung I8000

Does your sd-card work properly in Windows Mobile?

yes it works in WM. For sure it must work, as CM beta2 itself is on it!

olivex

olivex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I had the same problem and this worked for me.
You can try to reformat the FAT32 partition of the SD card on your PC using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Turn your phone on winmo and connect it in ''massive storage- sd card'' mode to your PC.
When you will connect the phone to PC, if windows ask you to format the card don' t format it because it will erase the other two partitions too.
Open MiniTool Partition Wizard, delete and reformat only the FAT32 partition of your sd card again as fat32 primary. Save changes and return to android.

As for the internal 8 Gb memory, it doesn't showing in settings. You will find your 8 Gb by opening the default ''file manager'' and press the ''house'' button. It's the ''storage''. ;)

Thank you, I will try this and come back here to post my result.

olivex

olivex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

I had the same problem and this worked for me.
You can try to reformat the FAT32 partition of the SD card on your PC using MiniTool Partition Wizard. Turn your phone on winmo and connect it in ''massive storage- sd card'' mode to your PC.
When you will connect the phone to PC, if windows ask you to format the card don' t format it because it will erase the other two partitions too.
Open MiniTool Partition Wizard, delete and reformat only the FAT32 partition of your sd card again as fat32 primary. Save changes and return to android.

As for the internal 8 Gb memory, it doesn't showing in settings. You will find your 8 Gb by opening the default ''file manager'' and press the ''house'' button. It's the ''storage''. ;)

Well, I started in MW and connected to PC as massive storage (selected SD Card), then used Mini Tools to format the FAT32 partition. Then I disconnected from PC and started cm beta 2. However it still says SD card damaged.

Quiquos

Quiquos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:SGS - I9000 CM9 ICS
Hi,

Im new to omnia 2 with android, and I would like to know if its possible to do a factory reset, because I choose to make it and nothing happens :(
I choose to make a factory reset and it starts the phone (into WM 6 then I exec herit... and boots into droid) but does nothing.

Any help??

SGS - GTI9000 CM9 ICS
O7 - I8700 Mango 7.5
O2 - I8000 Adroid Beta2

nikkotsoi

nikkotsoi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Hi,

Im new to omnia 2 with android, and I would like to know if its possible to do a factory reset, because I choose to make it and nothing happens :(
I choose to make a factory reset and it starts the phone (into WM 6 then I exec herit... and boots into droid) but does nothing.

Any help??

reset the android?
just reinstall it

djhoulio

djhoulio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Well, I started in MW and connected to PC as massive storage (selected SD Card), then used Mini Tools to format the FAT32 partition. Then I disconnected from PC and started cm beta 2. However it still says SD card damaged.

Try again not to format only. Delete the FAT 32 partition and then create new one. (Don't forget as primary).
I did it 3 days ago. First I only formated the FAT32 and nothing happened. Then I deleted the partition, created a new one and it worked.

shoarmabakpao

shoarmabakpao

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia II, Galaxy Nexus

That's why I was trying the reverse - porting things from 2.6.32 to tom3q's 3.0 kernel, which should be an easier path I think. I ended up spending one day to hack up a bootable kernel but it still needs much work.

I am out of time right now, and if you guys have time to spare and want to work on it, you can get it from github.com/ipaq3870

BTW, on github, I also have a 2.6.32 kernel that contains the code to many fixes and improvements:

• Camera key crash fix when simultaneously pressing camera key with 2 other buttons
  • HZ=500 and voluntary preemption for improved interactivity
  • 24-bit framebuffer - color bandings are gone and image looks much better albeit slower
  • Widget scrolling speed increase
  • Alternate USB driver that is less prone to connection problems esp during boot up
  • Kexec support to load kernel within userspace and to bypass windows (still needs work)
  • Added ramzswap aka compcache module
  • ram console to log kernel messages that survive reboots
  • hardware watchdog to reset in case of kernel crash
  • Key combos to hard reboot (lock + volup + camera) that save the time to pull out battery
  • Turned on some compiler optimization
  • Misc fixes to oops, deadlock, leaks, gpio, ...
See commit log for details and credits. Hope it is useful to anyone interested.

I tried to compile it but it was a no go for me :(
Do you have a pre-compiled version which you can put here as attachement?

rom_omnia2

rom_omnia2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Devices:Omnia
I was able to compile the kernel 3.0.8 without errors but couldn't even jump to kernek at boot. :(

I tried to configure every thing like 2.6.32 with "make menuconfig" but most of configurations isn't there. I tried to copy files from kernel_2.6.32 that wasn't in kernel_3.0.8, after that i found some new options from 2.6.32 "make menuconfig". But still, doesn't boot.

If anyone have a tip about how to even make it bootable i could keep trying to port it. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Edited by rom_omnia2, 17 April 2012 - 03:38 AM.

shoarmabakpao

shoarmabakpao

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

I was able to compile the kernel 3.0.8 without errors but couldn't even jump to kernek at boot. :(

I tried to configure every thing like 2.6.32 with "make menuconfig" but most of configurations isn't there. I tried to copy files from kernel_2.6.32 that wasn't in kernel_3.0.8, after that i found some new options from 2.6.32 "make menuconfig". But still, doesn't boot.

If anyone have a tip about how to even make it bootable i could keep trying to port it. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Could you compile his 2.6.32 and upload it here? He said he had made alot improvements ^_^ I just want to check it out. Mabey I will compile it myself if I finally figure out how to do it right.

rom_omnia2

rom_omnia2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Could you compile his 2.6.32 and upload it here? He said he had made alot improvements ^_^ I just want to check it out. Mabey I will compile it myself if I finally figure out how to do it right.

Yeah, i compiled that. But there's no .config file, so i had to use the default .config file from our 2.6.32.

I don't know if this .config file would active the improvements (probably yes) but i didn't noticied any difference. I may be missing something.

By the way, that new kernel 3.0.8 seems to have a new video driver, take a look at tom3q comment at ipaq3870 page:

Aww... What are those old drivers here for? Especially drivers/video/samsung, which is replaced by a clean and nice s3c-fb driver and max8698-old.c, which has a new driver too.

Hope someone with more experience than us take a better look at it :lol:. Anyway i will keep trying to make it work.

Edited by rom_omnia2, 17 April 2012 - 05:51 AM.

erikcas

erikcas

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Devices:Samsung B7610
  • Twitter:@castwitz

I was able to compile the kernel 3.0.8 without errors but couldn't even jump to kernek at boot.

If anyone have a tip about how to even make it bootable i could keep trying to port it.

Cheers.

There is a defconfig for kernel 3 in the arch/arm/configs dir. It isn't complete I think from which you can start. I started playing with it yesterday night. If I manage to make progress I will upload it to my github.

Edited by erikcas, 17 April 2012 - 06:45 AM.

=====================================

Samsung Cooper, Fit, Gio & Mini Development

CM9 && CM10.1

AndroidArmv6 // Jellaxy

My Github

rom_omnia2

rom_omnia2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

There is a defconfig for kernel 3 in the arch/arm/configs dir. It isn't complete I think from which you can start. I started playing with it yesterday night. If I manage to make progress I will upload it to my github.

Thanks, i also found the defconfig for 2.6.32 with improvements. I'm going to test this improvements now, successfully compiled.

shoarmabakpao

shoarmabakpao

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Thanks, i also found the defconfig for 2.6.32 with improvements. I'm going to test this improvements now, successfully compiled.

If all goes well, could you publish it so others can test it out? Did not had time today due to school to try compiling :(

erikcas

erikcas

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Compiled, but booting? :rolleyes:

CM9 && CM10.1

AndroidArmv6 // Jellaxy

My Github

rom_omnia2

rom_omnia2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Compiled, but booting? :rolleyes:

Yes, it's booting. But i'm talking about kernel 2.6.32 with improvements, not the 3.0.8 (going to test it later).

The only improvement that i clearly noticied so far is "Widget picker scrolling speed increase". It was terrible slow, now is normal (or even we can call it fast).

If all goes well, could you publish it so others can test it out? Did not had time today due to school to try compiling :(

Ok, like i said, didn't noticied many difference so far.

Also, take a look here for compile guide. Message me if you have any question, i'm not that expert either but could try to help.

Edited by rom_omnia2, 17 April 2012 - 08:37 PM.

rom_omnia2

rom_omnia2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Besides widget picker speed improvement, isn't stable. CPU Tuner and others programs won't start and after 10 minutes playing with browser, the phone froze.

Compiled kernel got too big, 2.9MB. Normally is 2.3/2.4/2.5. From my own experience, when it gets bigger than 2.6 the system gets unstable. Maybe i compiled it wrong...

erikcas

erikcas

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Yes, it's booting. But i'm talking about kernel 2.6.32 with improvements, not the 3.0.8 (going to test it later).

The only improvement that i clearly noticied so far is "Widget picker scrolling speed increase". It was terrible slow, now is normal (or even we can call it fast).

Ok, like i said, didn't noticied many difference so far.

Also, take a look here for compile guide. Message me if you have any question, i'm not that expert either but could try to help.

Oke. I took a look @ that source for 2.6.32 and I see a lot of copy-paste from modifications from other kernels. I by nature do not trust that, don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that it is not good. I have to look closer to have a good opinion.

If you take that mod for an improvement you do have to study if it is part of more modifications and if the modification does fit to your kernel.

I think the improvements for android are mainly in the android source now and not in the 2.6.32 kernel. Offcourse the kernel can be fine-tuned.

For example, on my latest test build froyo 2.2.3, I have improved batteryperformance over 60% (today on pretty heavy use I have left 27% battery after 14 hrs, which is significant more then it was 3 months ago). It is performing faster then it was. This on only android changes, no kernel changes. And I think it can be further improved.

But offcourse, it is allways good to seek improvements so keep up with it :)

CM9 && CM10.1

AndroidArmv6 // Jellaxy

My Github

rom_omnia2

rom_omnia2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

If you take that mod for an improvement you do have to study if it is part of more modifications and if the modification does fit to your kernel.

He said that there's improvements, i thought it was for our I8000:

BTW, on github, I also have a 2.6.32 kernel that contains the code to many fixes and improvements:

• Camera key crash fix when simultaneously pressing camera key with 2 other buttons
  • HZ=500 and voluntary preemption for improved interactivity
  • 24-bit framebuffer - color bandings are gone and image looks much better albeit slower
  • Widget scrolling speed increase
  • Alternate USB driver that is less prone to connection problems esp during boot up
  • Kexec support to load kernel within userspace and to bypass windows (still needs work)
  • Added ramzswap aka compcache module
  • ram console to log kernel messages that survive reboots
  • hardware watchdog to reset in case of kernel crash
  • Key combos to hard reboot (lock + volup + camera) that save the time to pull out battery
  • Turned on some compiler optimization
  • Misc fixes to oops, deadlock, leaks, gpio, ...

But you are right, most improvements will be made playing with android Lowmemoryfree values and others like swapness, etc.

Edited by rom_omnia2, 17 April 2012 - 10:37 PM.

erikcas

erikcas

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

He said that there's improvements:

Widget scrolling speed is the only one i noticied so far, and like i said, compiled kernel is getting too big (3mb). It's wrong and that may be why it's unstable. I'll wait anyone with more experience work on it. If it isn't for our Omnia II i'm lost because it's wrote there in defconfig: OMNIAII config file.

I read it a few days ago.
Why is your conclusion that the kernel zImage is too big? If your reference is the size of the kernel zImage from current dev sources with dev config compiled your conclusion might be wong. I thougt I saw he compiles a few extra things in. So it will (almost logically) be bigger.

you can try to do this: Copy official .config to the root of the modded kernel source dir.
Then run
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/crosscompiler oldconfig

you might get some questions but it can give you a more recognizable .config

But result can be you loose the optimizations that are said to be compiled in from the config

Edited by erikcas, 17 April 2012 - 10:38 PM.

CM9 && CM10.1

AndroidArmv6 // Jellaxy

My Github

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users