<< LINK2SD GUIDE >> (UPDATED PLEASE READ)

Guest tillaz

LINK2SD GUIDE (FOR WINDOWS)

download & install the .exe from the link above

connect your phone to your computer via usb and turn on usb storage on your phone from the notifications.

making a full back up of your sd card - make a new folder on your computers desktop call it sd back up, now open your sd card on your computer & press the edit tab at the top, then click select all, now right click on any of the highlighted items and press copy.

now go to your new folder named -- sd back up -- open it & right click inside the empty box and paste.

(now you have a full back up of your sd card)

you can copy & paste this back into your sd card when we are finished

open mini tool partition wizard

click to select you drive - it should be F: double click it to open and make shure it is

if you cant see your device and it is turned on properly click the general tab at the top and press reload disk information.

now... click on the drive F: to make shure your sd card is selected

now under operations select format partition

change file system to fat32 and press ok

then apply at the top left corner & wait for it to finish.....

then right click on drive F: click move / resize

click & hold the end of the bar (right hand side) and drag it back untill the unallocated space after: says 507.54 MB then press ok

now right click on the unallocated box underneath F: press create then yes

change create as: to primary

change file system to: fat32

press ok

then apply in the top left corner.

wait.........it will take a couple minutes it has not crashed.

once it finishes close the program and turn off usb storage and reboot your phone.

open the link2sd app and when it asks to select the format select fat32 at the bottom, it will tell you to reboot - do this now

after reboot open link2sd press the menu button then settings & tick auto link

also check in the auto link settings and make sure that all three boxes are ticked.

back at the main page press the menu button then filter, select user. this will show you all apps that can be linked to sd.

note you have to move your apps back to the internal memory before you can link them to the sd.

from link2sd select apps that say there on the sd and then press manage, you will see an option <move to phone> do this

now go back to the app in link2sd and press create link at the bottom and tick all three boxes and press ok.

after you set this up you will notice that your internal memory is affected very little or not at all after installing apps.

i had 112 apps on my phone at one point with 125mb of free internal space

smile.gif

update: when you do a full wipe in clockwork recovery it will change the second partition to ext3,

so the next time you use link2sd after a full wipe select the ext3 option when prompted at first launch.

Edited by tillaz

note you have to move your apps back to the internal memory before you can link them to the sd.

after you set this up you will notice that your internal memory is affected very little or not at all after installing apps.

smile.gif

How do I move my apps to the internal memory (the part in the red text above)?

Edited by Navie

How do I move my apps to the internal memory (the part in the red text above)?

open link2sd and from the menu select filter then user, now if an app is on the sd card it will say this in red on the app, just select the app then press manage this will bring you to the screen with an option that says move to phone.smile.gif

open link2sd and from the menu select filter then user, now if an app is on the sd card it will say this in red on the app, just select the app then press manage this will bring you to the screen with an option that says move to phone.smile.gif

So...I just move them to the 'Phone' and leave them there? Btw...I only have 10% free internal memory.

I have got it working now :)

Edited by Navie

So...I just move them to the 'Phone' and leave them there?Btw...I only have 10% free internal memory.

no, you open link2sd and select the appps that can be linked and press the create link at the bottom of each app, sorry about that i should have explaind this in the guide will add it now smile.gif

no, you open link2sd and select the appps that can be linked and press the create link at the bottom of each app, sorry about that i should have explaind this in the guide will add it now smile.gif

Thanks, got it working now and now I am getting more free internal memory :)

The only reason I went through with your guide was purely because I know its good for my phone, other than that I have no idea why I would need more internal memory :P ...really!

Thanks, got it working now and now I am getting more free internal memory :)

The only reason I went through with your guide was purely because I know its good for my phone, other than that I have no idea why I would need more internal memory :P ...really!

it will allow you to have a very lot of apps on your phone smile.gif

quick update, i have found when you do a full wipe in clockwork recovery it changes the second partition to ext3, so in the next rom you use with link2sd choose the ext3 option when prompted at first launch.

Edited by tillaz

One question...is it a good idea to link every installed app to SD card?...because some apps don't run properly when put on the SD card, thanks.

i had 112 apps all linked to sd at one point with no problems, but most apps that will cause problems will not allow you to link them to the sd or even move them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gitf@ce

Very nice guide tillaz! I've never dabbled with links2sd before, but have been more adventurous downloading apps this time, and needed some more room :).

Just a couple of things... the guide suggests that the second partition should be 507.54 MB. This will be difficult for many as they may have different cluster sizes, also the partition size is really a question of preference (around 500mb being widely used however). Also it may be worth mentioning that any cheap ebay sd cards may not survive the partitioning exercise, due to incorrectly quoted data sizes etc. I reduced my 16gb Kingston card to 8mb, and which then became unreadable. My no brand 16gb card simply would not allow a second partition. Consequently they are both now in the bin, and I have a couple of quality Lexar cards to replace them.

Also... my second partition is not being mounted during boot, so I have to reboot l2sd everytime, which is rather annoying. Is there file I can add to my de-orangised stock rom to make this auto mount?

Many Thanks

Vince.

Guest tillaz

the second partition can be wot ever you like really... but no more than 1gb will ever get used as 90% of the data is moved & inked to the sd.

if the cards become unreadable just format them from my computer / computer, right click on them & format

(if unreadable from phone they will be readable from sd card adapter / usb / camera)

as for not mounting at boot i have no idea as i don't have this problem, try using a ext.3 as second partition,check you have the latest version of l2sd. smile.gif

Is there a noticeable difference in performance when running from SD?

Would a class-4 card be sufficient? I'd buy a 16 GB class-4 card as class-6 is ridiculously expensive for 16 GB...

Or does it really make a difference and should I go for an 8GB class-6?

i think class 4 is the lowest that will work on smartphones, not 100% thought....

and as for speed differences its just the same..

about starting with ext3.... i left the guide at fa32 because some roms will not support ext3, whereas all roms support fat32 smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Geeks Squad

Wonder if someone can help me i followed the guide to set-up LINK2SD on my skate, seem when I download new apps to my phone LINK2SD keep saying Failure, my not found anyone else having this problem. But when I go into LINK2SD say on each app Linked>To SD Card

Thanks

Guest mustang41

Think I'm probably being dense here but I can't seem to find an "edit" to click on when I open the SD card (removable drive D) on my computer in order to back it up into my newly made desktop folder.

Any clues please???:unsure:

Guest Unchange

Followed the instructions carefully twice and same problem. Why is the smaller partition the only one accessible to me on computer? Also, MiniTool just kept ignoring my request to make this partition 507.43mb... Need help asap...

Followed the instructions carefully twice and same problem. Why is the smaller partition the only one accessible to me on computer? Also, MiniTool just kept ignoring my request to make this partition 507.43mb... Need help asap...

the second partition can be any size you like..

Guest hvis1608

LINK2SD GUIDE (FOR WINDOWS)

download & install the .exe from the link above

connect your phone to your computer via usb and turn on usb storage on your phone from the notifications.

making a full back up of your sd card - make a new folder on your computers desktop call it sd back up, now open your sd card on your computer & press the edit tab at the top, then click select all, now right click on any of the highlighted items and press copy.

now go to your new folder named -- sd back up -- open it & right click inside the empty box and paste.

(now you have a full back up of your sd card)

you can copy & paste this back into your sd card when we are finished

open mini tool partition wizard

click to select you drive - it should be F: double click it to open and make shure it is

if you cant see your device and it is turned on properly click the general tab at the top and press reload disk information.

now... click on the drive F: to make shure your sd card is selected

now under operations select format partition

change file system to fat32 and press ok

then apply at the top left corner & wait for it to finish.....

then right click on drive F: click move / resize

click & hold the end of the bar (right hand side) and drag it back untill the unallocated space after: says 507.54 MB then press ok

now right click on the unallocated box underneath F: press create then yes

change create as: to primary

change file system to: fat32

press ok

then apply in the top left corner.

wait.........it will take a couple minutes it has not crashed.

once it finishes close the program and turn off usb storage and reboot your phone.

open the link2sd app and when it asks to select the format select fat32 at the bottom, it will tell you to reboot - do this now

after reboot open link2sd press the menu button then settings & tick auto link

also check in the auto link settings and make sure that all three boxes are ticked.

back at the main page press the menu button then filter, select user. this will show you all apps that can be linked to sd.

from link2sd select apps that say there on the sd and then press manage, you will see an option <move to phone> do this

now go back to the app in link2sd and press create link at the bottom and tick all three boxes and press ok.

smile.gif

update: when you do a full wipe in clockwork recovery it will change the second partition to ext3,

so the next time you use link2sd after a full wipe select the ext3 option when prompted at first launch.

I am new to android. Used WM6.1 up to now (played a lot with that).

I used app2sd on my medion (ZTE skate) to free internal mem space. I have not installed any custom ROM (to scared to mess it up). The main space users are Google Reader, Medion Navigator and the Andriod Market. I have still some 19 mb free. Will link2SD move these as well? Would I need to do a custom ROM before being able to use link2SD?

thanks for responding.

Guest tilal6991

I am new to android. Used WM6.1 up to now (played a lot with that).

I used app2sd on my medion (ZTE skate) to free internal mem space. I have not installed any custom ROM (to scared to mess it up). The main space users are Google Reader, Medion Navigator and the Andriod Market. I have still some 19 mb free. Will link2SD move these as well? Would I need to do a custom ROM before being able to use link2SD?

thanks for responding.

they should be abl to be moved. You don't need a custom rom but do need to be rooted