Ginger Stir Fry

Guest Per Åkesson

Guest Per Åkesson

On 7 October, the Official GSF Thread was closed. This thread aims, as a replacement thread, at discussing the Ginger Stir Fry ROM, which is based on leaked beta code from ZTE, thus GSF will always be on beta level.

Purpose of this thread is exchange of ideas and test experiences. Please stick to the topic, avoiding bad language or personal attacks. We don't want this thread closed. I thank wbaw for excellent efforts. :rolleyes:

For old and new official GSF announcements, please see the old (closed) thread or XDA. To download the current ROM go to XDA. To download older versions of GSF, either Google or go to Arona. There are several GSF mirrors. You may also want to visit the Simple Stir Fry thread.

Ginger Stir Fry - change log:

b27 2011-09-26

New kernel with burstlam's latest updates, my config & notification leds working when phone is asleep. Updated apps (market 3.1.5, nofrills updated). Few bugs fixed.

b26 2011-09-18

Bugfix release. Tethering & other stuff fixed. it's just a bug fix release. tethering works (i broke it in b25). should be fewer FCs in apps. a few small kernel updates too.- several Bluetooth issues reported

b25 2011-09-14

new kernel - fixes battery drain/staying awake issue & other improvements. Recompiled & updated cm7 apps & libs. faster.

b24 2011-09-12

new kernel, automatic gen1 support, automatically calibrate the proximity sensor on first boot, updated google maps, removed google books, back to andorko's 0.5 radio without rds support (fixes battery drain issue), fixed low floating point benchmark score, some other stuff.

b23 2011-09-08

New kernel with Burstlam's latest fixes, github here: https://github.com/J...enney/kernel-35 Andorko's FM Radio App with RDS support. Small fixes & tweaks

b22 2011-09-05

Burstlam's kernel, updated market, updated android terminal, added rom manager, added nofrillscpu (overclocking).

b21 2011-08-19

Complete with a few updated lib files from the skate which fix the above error, new market app, new books app, fixed navigation fcs (hopefully) & more.

Based on leaked ZTE Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread rom with leaked ZTE 2.6.35.7 kernel (source code didn't leak), DarkTremor A2SD (modified, better speed & security), etc/init.d support, nano, bash, vim, dropbear ssh, busybox, root, adb, deodexed, replaced bootanimation (green particle ring, optimised), replaced zte apps & dialler with cm7 versions, replaced ril, gps fix, increased network buffer sizes, increased sdcard & internal nand buffer sizes, updated google apps, edited build.prop, edited init.rc, 50mb /cache on tmpfs, min speed 122mhz, hw acceleration on, fixed usb behaviour, andorko's fm radio, transparent notification pulldown, fixed wifi, better battery stats, international apn list, CM7 keyboard, Google Maps, Google Voice Search, Google Books, New Market, Google Talk, Stock Gingerbread launcher (3d app drawer), Torch, resigned, re-compressed & zipaligned.

b20

based on the new Orange Monte Carlo rom, using different kernel, BT broken

b19 2011-08-05

New Gingerbread stock launcher with 3d app drawer (Gingerbread Launcher - Eugene373) is the main change. Hell of a lot of small changes that probably nobody will notice too. Mainly a tidying up job.

Edited by Per Åkesson

I open this new thread for discussions about the Ginger Stir Fry ROM. I thank wbaw for excellent efforts. The only purpose of this thread is exchange of ideas and test experiences. :rolleyes:

For official GSF announcements, please see The old (locked) thread or XDA

I´m using B27, so far so good!

Abraço

Pedro

Guest D00nhamer

Been very happy with the last few releases. But today I backed up GSF27 and have flashed CM7 208. First impressions are really good, will probably stick with CM7 for the next wee while.

I'm grateful to wbaw for a good rom, pity he was like huffy child in the end.

Guest targetbsp

It might be wise to avoid comments like that last or this'll degenerate into an argument and get locked too.

I'd like to propose that we do something a bit extreme and talk about the rom!!

(reposted here as the GSF thread was locked before anyone had a chance to reply).

I'm running B27, but I have had this issue as long as I can remember on GSF (I started around B17). I am on T-Mobile and the network operator is always shown as "T-Mobile" on the lock screen, even when roaming on Orange in the UK. I have also been roaming in two different EU countries recently and no matter to which network I was connected it always displayed "T-Mobile" on the lock screen.

I have tried an Orange SIM in my phone and it shows "Orange" on Orange and "Orange T-Mobile" on T-Mobile. I have also tried a foreign SIM here in the UK and GSF correctly displays the name of any of the UK networks it roams onto. So it only seems to be an issue with T-Mobile SIMs. I have even tried a friend's T-Mobile SIM in my phone to rule out a possible issue with my specific SIM card but GSF still always shows "T-Mobile" on the lock screen. I installed Phono and this correctly shows the roaming network operator name with all the SIMs, including the T-Mobile ones.

I don't get this with other ROMs (I tried SS5 and CM7 today to make sure).

Is any one else seeing this when roaming with T-Mobile? Any ideas for a work-around?

Edited by nrev

hey nice new thread. hope no one minds if i gum it up with a ton of dumb questions.

1. (for a friend who's got a new phone) is it ok to apply the all-in-one tpt method to a phone even if it's an unrooted gen2 model?

2. i'm running gsf25 and would like to upgrade to 27 ... what is the conventional method? do people generally only wipe data in the event of some trouble after upgrade? does backing up your current rom also back up this data that you're wiping? or is backing up data and apps something that you do with titanium? do people generally use the rom manager app, or just do everything through clockworkmod's recovery menu? i ask because basically rom manager's not working for me at all, simply rebooting me into the recovery menu instead of backing up, or installing, or whatever it is i asked it to do in the app. is it me, or is the app crap?

Guest targetbsp

1) Paragraph 2 of the TPT instructions state it cannot be used on phones that were gen 2 from stock.

2) Generally there's no need to wipe data when upgrading to a newer version of the same rom.

Backing up the rom in clockwork does backup the data but only in the sense that you have to restore the rom to get the data.

To backup your apps/data for use with a different rom you do need to use titanium.

I use Rom Manager mostly. There have been issues with the switchover to clockwork 5. The very latest version of Rom Manager and clockwork seem fine though so make sure both are up to date. if you still have trouble, just use clockwork.

Guest Coffer52

Hi, I really like GSF but stopped using it after b19, I found things started to go a bit flakey after that. I now use Blade Mix 2.3 by Fallinangel which is based on GSF b15 and is really good, quick with excellant battery life. Angel is bringing out a new release shortly based on a Miui theme which I can't wait to see. Hopefully he will continue to develop this ROM as it is a least as good as GSF b27.

Very good ROM, fast and smooth :)

I'm currently using B19...

... also because, not having any changelog and not knowing what actually changes between any release and the following one, I don't see any point in upgrading!! ;)

Edited by fox2000

I installed B27. BT works again and WIFI hotspot still functions. The current battery drain is something I dreamed about in the stock version.

I always backup my current ROM before installing a new one and also take a Titanium backup: so I can always revert back to a previous situation.

I have choosen GSF after reading several forum topics because it was the most mature ROM IMHO.

Also there are regular updates (sometimes after 1 or 2 days, the last one was after 1 week) :D

I started with B19 to upgrade to GEN2 and then to B21.

Afterwards I always upgraded to the most recent GSF ROM and never restored a previous version.

The issues were always resolved in a next release of the ROM, so what can we expect more?

B27 is perfect for me ATM.

Don't forget this ROM is based upon a leaked version of the new Operating System. If the OS has bugs, don't blame Wbaw for that.

This ROM also has Beta status, wich means bugs are possible.

It's up to us to install a beta version or not.

If you do, take the necessary precautions (backup!).

Edited by Podo55

Guest doogsville

I live in China, though I'm Scottish, and I bought my Blade here after a lot of research. The China Unicom stock ROM comes with a ton of stuff in Chinese, and my reading and writing skills are not good enough to use them. Also most of them seem to be for social networking, which I don't do a lot of in any language, so I was keen to get a custom ROM on it. I had trouble from the start just getting into Clockwork Recovery, but eventually solved that problem by using TPT to put CM7 on it. I started with the stable release, but screen rotation didn't work. Call me old fashioned, but should something with a bug like that really be labelled as 'stable'? Anyway, I solved the rotation problem by putting nightly 179 on.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Screen rotation worked, but there were a lot of other bugs that really, well, bugged me. My customisations would revert back after rebooting, and lots of other little things happened that made using the phone less than joyful. So a little digging led me to GSF, and here I am. Its been stable and rather lovely so far, apart from a problem with WIFI, which is so slow it's practically unusable. Fine, but I when I'm installing some HD games that want to download 300 MB plus of data I don't really want to do it with 3G.

By and large though I'm very happy with GSF for it's stability and it comes with enough features to allow me to customise the phone to suit my situation. That being said I preferred some of the features of CM7, and when they release the next 'stable' version that allows screen rotation to work I will undoubtedly back up my GSF and put CM7 back on to see if it's a keeper.

I have nothing but gratitude to those people like WBAW and others who give of themselves to create things like custom ROMs that I am neither capable of, nor could be bothered doing if I was quite frankly. They made it possible for me to enter the world of Android smartphones without having to wait till my Chinese skills are up to scratch, not to mention that I can now use apps and features that are not commonly available in China thanks to it's governments insistence on believing it knows better than I what I should and should not have access to.

Guest targetbsp

The problem with CM7's naming is that CM7 supports dozens of different phones and stable means CM7 is stable. Not the necessarily the blade version of it. If anything, we've been extremely unlucky. I don't actually think there's been any stable release that hasn't been outclassed by the nightlies surrounding it!

Guest Andr0ider

Has anybody faced with proximity sensor issues in b27?

Mine OSF either doesn't turn off the display or turns it off and I just couldn't end a call!

Am I alone with this problem?

Has anybody faced with proximity sensor issues in b27?

Mine OSF either doesn't turn off the display or turns it off and I just couldn't end a call!

Am I alone with this problem?

Did you use ZTE emode to calibrate it?

Abraço

Pedro

Guest dirlan2001

The OP reffered to the now locked thread of wbaw, but fails to see WHY that thread is locked. wbaw and other ROM-cookers/kernel-squeezers are getting fed-up with whining kids like you. Your phone is a piece of equipement, not a toy. If you have a good ROM, stick to it and learn to live with the (eventual) shortcomings. If you can't, just get another phone...

And for those who always reffer to CM7 etc ... you wanted a new ROM to get rid of the bloatware of your providers, but then you let someone else fill it up with with whatever gimmick that can be enabled or is hidden in a kernel. Do you use your phone to actually what it's build for, or do you want to repeat history and sit there all day reinstalling and configuring, like in the old days with DOS 6.1 & Windows 3.11 ???

wbaw and burtslam are a 'killerteam' , just learn to respect that...

@dirlan - regardless of your motives it is posts like yours that could only antagonise the situation when you refer to people as "whining kids". Even if you think that you are right. Just keep the personal insults out of your posts and then we will have a chance to keep this thread on topic, thanks :)

Well done Per (OP) for creating this thread for the GSF ROM's.

@Andr0ider - my wife's San Fran (grey model) has been fine with b27 No calibration issues at all. Mine (white one) has had some issues and I needed to use the ZTE emode calibration tools a couple of times (it kept showing "failed") before it seems to have settled down and working as it should. I have mentioned the colours as I did read that it had been noted (in Burstlam's thread, opening post) about the white ones tending to be more problematic.

Edited by dibbles

I am on T-Mobile and the network operator is always shown as "T-Mobile" on the lock screen, even when roaming

I have tested a bit more (with battery removal, full wipes, etc.) and even tried GSF on Gen1 again before coming back to Gen2 but I still get the network operator reported as "T-Mobile" regardless of the network I am connected to. It seems that no one else has seen this as the only reply on the locked thread was to say roaming network operator ID worked for them. Perhaps it is just my phone. No one else seeing this?

Guest the_zip_master

I've closely followed this forum since purchasing my San Fransisco phone early in the year. I've tried numerous ROMS and have been using GSF b22 for several weeks now with very little problems. I was so impressed with the stability and battery life that i even made a donation to Wbaw for all his hard work. It's a shame that the recent roms did not include a change log on release. I can't imagine why anyone would install software on there Phone/PC without a change log to help them make an informed decision on weather to upgrade or not (Android market works the same way). I understand the' free nature' of these ROMs, but i did support Wbaw and would have liked the development to continue. Software development is a difficult thing, but you need to take the highs with the lows and ignore the negative comments. For anyone considering the jump from a stock Orange Rom to gingerbread, i can honestly say it's a no brainer. GSF adds tons of features and speed, just don't get hung up on a particular bug - remember you'll never have the' perfect' ROM.

Thanks for the work Wbaw, shame it's come to an end....

Zip

I've closely followed this forum since purchasing my San Fransisco phone early in the year. I've tried numerous ROMS and have been using GSF b22 for several weeks now with very little problems. I was so impressed with the stability and battery life that i even made a donation to Wbaw for all his hard work. It's a shame that the recent roms did not include a change log on release. I can't imagine why anyone would install software on there Phone/PC without a change log to help them make an informed decision on weather to upgrade or not (Android market works the same way). I understand the' free nature' of these ROMs, but i did support Wbaw and would have liked the development to continue. Software development is a difficult thing, but you need to take the highs with the lows and ignore the negative comments. For anyone considering the jump from a stock Orange Rom to gingerbread, i can honestly say it's a no brainer. GSF adds tons of features and speed, just don't get hung up on a particular bug - remember you'll never have the' perfect' ROM.

Thanks for the work Wbaw, shame it's come to an end....

Zip

I was about to post the changes before seven people nagged me for it, before I'd even finished updating the download links. After that, with the mess that thread was in, there was no point anyway, it'd have been buried by all the troll posts in 10 minutes. I asked for a moderator to clean it up.

It hasn't come to an end at all, what would give you that idea? Because flb decided to close the thread rather than moderate it properly? Just because the rom isn't welcome on modaco any more doesn't mean that I stopped.

Edited by wbaw