What have I just downloaded from ZTE's site

Guest DB006

Top link from http://wwwen.zte.com...data/mobile/UK/

Contents of zip folder are a folder called "Great Britain Monte carlo T card upgrading instruction & software package"

Inside that folder are 2 files

a pdf file called "T card upgrading instruction for smart phone.pdf"

and and image folder containing "image.bin" 142mb

have attached the pdf file

T card upgrading instruction for smart phone.pdf

Guest PedroVader

Top link from http://wwwen.zte.com...data/mobile/UK/

Contents of zip folder are a folder called "Great Britain Monte carlo T card upgrading instruction & software package"

Inside that folder are 2 files

a pdf file called "T card upgrading instruction for smart phone.pdf"

and and image folder containing "image.bin" 142mb

have attached the pdf file

T card upgrading instruction for smart phone.pdf

Downloading it now, gonna extract it and see how it compares to the Orange Stock, I'm guessing it will be identical, as the manuals look the same as Orange provide...can't even hope that ZTE have dropped the ball and provided a Vanilla Stock ROM....or can we?

Pete

Guest KonstaT

I think it's TPT (Total Phone Transfer) method for Skate. It can update radio firmware, change internal partitions, install new ROM etc. We have similar image.bin method for our gen2 ZTE Blades.

There's a tool called ztepack to unpack gen2 blade TPTs. There's also a windows tool. I'm not sure they'll work with this one, but it wont hurt to try. I'm downloading it now but that chinese server is terribly slow...

edit. And saying it wont hurt to try, I mean the unpacking part. Trying to modify this low level stuff can leave you with bricked device.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest yaylol

It's the same version as it's shipped with...

Android 2.3.4

Baseband p743tb01

Kernel 2.6.35.7

Version OUKP743TV1.0.0B05

Edited by yaylol

Guest PedroVader

But it'll have a stock boot image, unlike the posted one from Paul, so OK to go back for warranty purposes I guess?

Pete

Edited by PedroVader

Guest PedroVader

A tot image basically gives you the oppurtunity to unlock phone if you know how to.

Will this breathe a new lease of life into your earlier work maybe?rolleyes.gif

Guest tilal6991

Will this breathe a new lease of life into your earlier work maybe?

Its possible but I personally can't do anything. Tillaz should be able to though.

It should allow somebody with ztepack & a hex editor, who knows what they're doing, to alter it to change the internal nand partition layout of the phone - to give you more room on /data for your apps & data. Like we did on the Blade.

Guest PedroVader

It should allow somebody with ztepack & a hex editor, who knows what they're doing, to alter it to change the internal nand partition layout of the phone - to give you more room on /data for your apps & data. Like we did on the Blade.

Would that be the same NAND that we think the unlock mechanism may be hiding in? (that makes me sound like a n00b, but I'm an installer/tester, not a devblink.gif)

Pete

Edited by PedroVader

Guest KonstaT

Ztepack seems to work fine. ZTE engineers were lazy again. ;) Or why change to different system if old one works.

I guess the ROM is the same? Few lines from build.prop:

ro.build.display.id=OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05
ro.build.version.release=2.3.4
ro.build.date=Wed Aug 31 17:09:24 CST 2011

ro.com.google.gmsversion=2.3_r5
ro.build.baseband_version=P743TB01
ro.build.software_version=OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05
ro.build.sw_internal_version=OUK_P743TV1.0.0B18
[/code]

Here's also original clean boot.img in flashable .zip if someone wants to try it with the Orange ROM. I don't have a Skate to play with.

OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05-Kernel.zip

Guest dadashi

so thats a new kernel for the Skate / OMC...?

Any chance of progress to a TPT.zip to overwrite the sim locked nand and maybe change the partition sizes to something more usefull like with the Blade...

Guest KonstaT

so thats a new kernel for the Skate / OMC...?

Any chance of progress to a TPT.zip to overwrite the sim locked nand and maybe change the partition sizes to something more usefull like with the Blade...

That's should be clean boot.img from Orange stock ROM OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05 without the superboot part. I read somewhere that you don't have clean dump of that.

Changing partition sizes should be possible. It's also possible that sim lock is somewhere in that radio firmaware too. If someone wants to modify that image.bin, I think it's best to start with some easy stuff. e.g. replacing boot.img and recovery.img with images of clockworkmod, replacing system.img with empty image so it only flashes the firmware without the ROM. I don't have a Skate so I'm not even going to try that. I don't want to be held responsible for bricking someone else's device.

Guest Amphoras

Has anyone used this? If so, what happened when you flashed it? If your phone was locked before, is it still locked afterwards, and vice versa if you started with an unlocked phone?

Guest philmein

Has anyone used this? If so, what happened when you flashed it? If your phone was locked before, is it still locked afterwards, and vice versa if you started with an unlocked phone?

i have used the tpt it just loads the stock orange rom no unlock im afraid orange rom did not stay on long tho

Guest Amphoras

i have used the tpt it just loads the stock orange rom no unlock im afraid orange rom did not stay on long tho

Ok, thats what I thought thanks.

I've extracted the files and changed the partition layout to use a bit less space for cache and add it to data. Wasn't sure how big the orange rom takes up on system, so didn't want to make that smaller. I'm going to build it with only the partition.mbn, partition_zte.mbn, appsboot.mbn, appsboothd.mbn, boot.img and system.img files, so it shouldn't be able to break any of the low level stuff if something goes wrong. I don't have a Skate, so I can't test it myself. Its quite late here, so I'm going to check all the changes I made again tomorrow, and I can upload it if someone wants to try it and see if it changes the partitions. If it does, and nothing bad happens, we can try and see what the best layout would be.

Guest Amphoras

Ok, I've checked and the changes should be ok. I've made the cache partition smaller and the data partition bigger, and changed the start positions of the system and data partitions to take this into account. The TPT image.bin only contains partition.mbn, partition_zte.mbn, appsboothd.mbn, appsboot.mbn, boot.img and system.img. I've only modified partition_zte.mbn and appsboot.mbn, the others are just straight copies from the original. I used ztepack to unpack/repack the image.bin.

Partitions were changed from:

Recovery: 	6MB

Boot: 			4MB

Splash: 			1.5MB

Misc: 			0.5MB

Cache: 			57.5MB

System: 			220MB

Userdata: 		162.5MB

OEM: 			1MB

Persist: 			1.5MB

to:

Recovery: 		6MB

Boot: 			4MB

Splash: 			1.5MB

Misc: 			0.5MB

Cache: 			10MB

System: 			220MB

Userdata: 		210MB

OEM: 			1MB

Persist: 			1.5MB

I don't have a Skate, so this is untested. It doesn't include the really vital parts, so there is a lower risk of it bricking your phone, but there is still a risk. If you try it, keep a copy of the original somewhere safe - if someone goes wrong, unless its really bad, that should hopefully fix it. Using these partitions, you might find larger apps don't download properly from the market, I don't know if Skate roms redirect the cache like the newer Blade ones do. It shouldn't matter too much, if the TPT works, then that can be sorted later.

Check the md5sums before you do it, if they don't match, don't use it.

Link: http://dl.dropbox.co...t-skate-tpt.zip

MD5sum: 1b8496dd136f6976ee50a2acf69cb13c

If you try this and it works, please let me know. If you tell me how much space Skate roms take up on /system as well, then that can be reduced a bit as well to give more space in /data.

Again, use at your own risk.

Edited by Amphoras

Guest philmein

dont mind trying but dont uderstand this bit ( but there is still a risk. If you try it, keep a copy of the original somewhere safe ) copy of what safe?? nandrod backup??

Guest Amphoras

dont mind trying but dont uderstand this bit ( but there is still a risk. If you try it, keep a copy of the original somewhere safe ) copy of what safe?? nandrod backup??

The original TPT from the start of this thread, before I made any changes to it.