CM7 nightly + Skate kernel source

Guest t0mm13b

Guest t0mm13b

Hi,

Have been looking at Tilal6991's source and device tree found in github in relation to the Skate's unofficial CM7 nightlies.

A couple of questions:

• Why is the kernel config not compiled in, this is suggestively implying something to hide?
  • Where is the latest skate kernel source from? Is it Tom_G's github?
  • That kernel is currently used in the CWM Mod which is blocking the recovery from cold boot, why is it that FTM mode is enabled by default?

This FTM mode is the block on the CWM Mod, preventing it from functioning properly from cold boot.

I have posted on another thread about this and am suspicious of the reason as to why CWM Mod is not functioning.

@Tilal6991:

A quick question and experiment for you to try out:

Can you compile your CM7 CWM using CM7's code via

make clean && make recoveryimage
Now flash that freshly build recoveryimage

fastboot flash recovery out/target/product/skate/recovery.img

then

fastboot reboot

Pull the battery and follow this:

Put the battery back in.

Power on and Vol + key - can you boot into recovery from cold boot? Yes/No? If yes, does it respond to hardware buttons? If no, you will need to pull the battery and put it back in again. Now, let the handset boot up as normal by pressing the power button.

From CM7's ROM, long press the power button to bring up a menu, select Reboot, tap on Recovery and tap Ok. can you boot into recovery from warm boot? Yes/No? If yes, does it respond to hardware buttons?

I need to double check with you and to confirm this by replying back here :)

Cheers,

B)

Can anyone confirm if there's a /proc/config.gz in their CM7 nightly ROM that is running on their Skate?

Cheers, B)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest dadashi

sorry, cant help.....haven't got tilals cm7 running because its faulty.... no gps, no bluetooth amongst other things....

Could you get skate an actual official slot in cyanogenmod with regular nightlies...?

we have an OrangeMC and a Skate complete rom dump and kernel 2.3.4 and kernel 2.3.5....

Edited by dadashi

Guest t0mm13b

Am going to go out on a limb here and recompile a new skate kernel.... without the FTM mode.

But without the config.gz this is going to be problematic as to what config options were set in this CM7 nightly's kernel.

Guest t0mm13b

sorry, cant help.....haven't got tilals cm7 running because its faulty.... no gps, no bluetooth amongst other things....

Could you get skate an actual official slot in cyanogenmod with regular nightlies...?

we have an OrangeMC and a Skate complete rom dump and kernel 2.3.4 and kernel 2.3.5....

Okie, where can I find the rom dump?

Btw, Kernel 2.3.4 and 2.3.5, that is incorrect, that is referring to the Android's Gingerbread version, 2.3.4 and 2.4.5, the actual kernel is version 2.6.35-7. :)

Guest philmein

Am going to go out on a limb here and recompile a new skate kernel.... without the FTM mode.

But without the config.gz this is going to be problematic as to what config options were set in this CM7 nightly's kernel.

we dont deserve you on this forumrolleyes.gif

Guest t0mm13b

Hey t0mm13b I've dumped the config.gz before to help kallt_kaffe build the OC kernel...

I've uploaded the /proc/config.gz to http://www.adsar.co.uk/skate/config.gz, and also an uncompressed version @ http://www.adsar.co.uk/skate/config.txt

Thanks for that, but... hate to say this -

CONFIG_ZTE_FTM_FLAG_SUPPORT=y
<- that looks like trouble for getting into recovery from coldboot. :)

I have uploaded a new version of our cwm mod with a freshly recompiled kernel that has the above flag disabled!

So here's hoping that the recovery does indeed start from cold-boot and responds to touchscreen activities.

Philmein: can you try this out and see if this works from cold boot. :)

Cheers, B)

photom_cwm_update_skate_exp.zip

Guest t0mm13b

I use Tom G's blade source. The configuration is under cyanogen_skate-defconfig

Ho okie :)

well its not exactly an ideal configuration as there's pcmcia cards, infra-red drivers and few other config options that's classified as default configuration, and generally on the whole deemed useless... :)

Will wait and see what Philmein says about that recovery image. :)

Guest philmein

can confirm working from cold boot all touch functions working seems finedry.gif

pulled battery then cold boot all ok

Edited by philmein

Guest dadashi

Okie, where can I find the rom dump?

Btw, Kernel 2.3.4 and 2.3.5, that is incorrect, that is referring to the Android's Gingerbread version, 2.3.4 and 2.4.5, the actual kernel is version 2.6.35-7. :)

Here are the two rom dumps with no clockwork thanky to Sebastian and modaco guys....

Does the kernel you've posted fix things like GPS and Bluetooth in Tilals skate cm7....?

Guest t0mm13b

I'd have to install Tilals cm7 rom and then flash the kernel to see if there are any changes....

Do let me know how it goes for you as am curious :)

Guest t0mm13b

can you make a kernel.zip to flash with clockwork?

Here you go :)

Make sure you have a backup of the existing boot.img before proceeding to flash via Clockwork :)

Of course usual disclaimer applies - am not responsible:

• smoke coming from Skate or Skate is "getting high" from vaping
  • weird ROM behavioural issues
  • unicorns appearing magically after flashing
  • planes fall out of skies
  • dog ate the usb cable

:D :lol:

Please do let me know how that goes for you :)

Cheers, B)

photom_boot_skate.zip

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest dadashi

Ok I'll give it a go, if you think it might solve the Bluetooth and GPS problems...

Why is your boot.image only 2.9MB and the other rom boot.images over 4MB...?

Guest t0mm13b

Ok I'll give it a go, if you think it might solve the Bluetooth and GPS problems...

Why is your boot.image only 2.9MB and the other rom boot.images over 4MB...?

Excess drivers such as Infra Red, PCMCIA stuff... :D

Mind you that is the kernel only iirc... was looking at it earlier on.... :)

But would doubt it would fix the Bluetooth, GPS, as that is more likely a misconfiguration of the ROM built - using a wrong BoardConfig option prior to building the CM7. As for the Bluetooth - that definitely could be down to missing proprietary lib/binary that kickstarts the bluetooth or incorrect reference to it in /etc. :)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest dadashi

Excess drivers such as Infra Red, PCMCIA stuff... :D

Mind you that is the kernel only iirc... was looking at it earlier on.... :)

But would doubt it would fix the Bluetooth, GPS, as that is more likely a misconfiguration of the ROM built - using a wrong BoardConfig option prior to building the CM7. As for the Bluetooth - that definitely could be down to missing proprietary lib/binary that kickstarts the bluetooth or incorrect reference to it in /etc. :)

I think you're right about the wrong board config, could it be from the Blade...?

Guest t0mm13b

I think you're right about the wrong board config, could it be from the Blade...?

Possibly, a straight copy from the blade's device tree could easily have had happened here...

Guest dadashi

new kernel is fine :D

like you guessed, no GPS or Bluetooth fix...

Any chance of sorting out Tilas Skate cm7 rom for the Skate, just a quick look ;)

Edited by dadashi

Guest t0mm13b

new kernel is fine :D

Any chance of sorting out Tilas Skate cm7 rom for the Skate, just a quick look ;)

As I have stated - I do not have a Skate but....

The only difference with the Blade and Skate, spec wise, is the Bluetooth and Wifi share the same Broadcom chipset.

On the blade, it uses Atheros Wifi chip AR6002, as shown here:

BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER := AWEXT

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_PATH     := /system/wifi/ar6000.ko

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_NAME     := ar6000

For the Skate:

BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER := WEXT

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_PATH := "/system/lib/modules/dhd.ko"

WIFI_DRIVER_FW_AP_PATH := "/system/etc/fw_4319_apsta.bin"

WIFI_DRIVER_FW_STA_PATH := "/system/etc/fw_4319.bin"

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_ARG := "firmware_path=/system/etc/fw_4319.bin,nvram_path=/system/etc/nv_4319.txt"

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_NAME := "dhd"

WPA_SUPPLICANT_VERSION := VER_0_6_X

Can you confirm the presence of those files ^^? (Perhaps, changing from WEXT to AWEXT perhaps?) :unsure: As for the GPS, that could be down to this line in the AMSS_VERSION, if that mismatches, there's no GPS IIRC:

BOARD_GPS_LIBRARIES := libloc_api

BOARD_USES_QCOM_HARDWARE := true

BOARD_USES_QCOM_LIBS := true

BOARD_USES_QCOM_GPS := true

BOARD_VENDOR_QCOM_GPS_LOC_API_HARDWARE := skate

BOARD_VENDOR_QCOM_GPS_LOC_API_AMSS_VERSION := 1240

BOARD_GPS_LIBRARIES := libloc

#BOARD_USES_GPSSHIM := true

#BOARD_GPS_NEEDS_XTRA := true

Might be worth trying to activate the GPSSHIM if you are having GPS problems, and using BOARD_GPS_NEEDS_XTRA.

Another tip/hint: possibly you may need to put in libloc_rpc and use RPC instead possibly...

Also, double check on the /etc/init.skate.rc file or similar, there should be one for the BlueTooth facility, on the blade it was init.bt.sh - a script that gets kickstarted when Bluetooth gets activated.

Edit: Note: you will have to recompile/rebuild the entire CM7 if the BoardConfig.mk or device_skate.mk gets changed!

Cheers,

B)

Edited by t0mm13b