Acer Liquid Metal or Zte Blade?

Guest Capricorn1

Guest Capricorn1

Hey guys,

Forum Newbie here and also a Smartphone virgin! I know this question is probably asked to death but the search function didn't yield much in the way of answers!

Just a quick question here regarding these two phones. There's not much difference in the price (with the San Fran being got for £109.99 in the north and the Acer @ €165 here. I know the San Fran has an extensive online community on here but judging by this section of the forums the Acer community seems to be growing as well and will hopefully be sustained.

I was just wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience with the Acer or would I be better off sticking with the tried and tested San Fran?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, opinions or even completely new suggestions in this price range!

Edited by Capricorn1

Guest astuermer

ZTE has much older CPU I think... MSM7227 or so clocked at 600 Mhz with Adreno 200.

Liquid MT has 7230 second generation CPU with 800 MHz Snapdragon and Adreno 205 which is much faster.

Internal storage, RAM and ROM is same size.

Blade only has 3MB camera with no flashlight.

Liquid MT has 5 MB with LED flashlight.

Blade only has 7Mbps dl, Liquid has 14Mbps.

And battery is much worser on Blade too as I can see on GSMArena.com

Edited by astuermer

Guest Capricorn1

ZTE has much older CPU I think... MSM7227 or so clocked at 600 Mhz with Adreno 200.

Liquid MT has 7230 second generation CPU with 800 MHz Snapdragon and Adreno 205 which is much faster.

Internal storage, RAM and ROM is same size.

Blade only has 3MB camera with no flashlight.

Liquid MT has 5 MB with LED flashlight.

Blade only has 7Mbps dl, Liquid has 14Mbps.

And battery is much worser on Blade too as I can see on GSMArena.com

Hmm..yes, I knew all of those specs but the only reason I was considering the Blade was because of it's online community and rep as being "best bang for your buck budget smart-phone". I know the hardware is getting on a bit but from what I garnered from various forums is that it was the best value at the time and I was just wondering if anyone had first-hand experience with the Acer to see any potential in rivaling the cult status that the blade has earned. Or should I be better off going for the blade/other model?

Thanks for the response tho!

Guest k0zmic

Having owned the Blade it's a good phone, the processor is a bit slow though and ARM v6 so that means no Flash and higher end games.

It does have an amazingly large community with lots of ROM's and CM support.

I'd probably side with the Metal due to the better hardware that makes the experience that much nicer.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest Capricorn1

Having owned the Blade it's a good phone, the processor is a bit slow though and ARM v6 so that means no Flash and higher end games.

It does have an amazingly large community with lots of ROM's and CM support.

I'd probably side with the Metal due to the better hardware that makes the experience that much nicer.

Not that interested in games tbh and the large community was the one major incentive of going with the blade. If the Acer community doesn't grow I'll be left with a phone with great potential but that is not fully optimized, unlike the blade! Decisions, decisions! Don't want to regret the purchase either way! sad.gif

It's worth to consider that Acer has just released 2.3.5 and from what I have read there isn't much wrong with it. There is a huge difference between the CPUs, so unless you dislike the physical shape of the MT I would recommend it over the Blade. Personally I'm very impressed by Acer's UI and don't think it needs much change with custom ROMs, but there are several devs here cooking new ROMs as soon as a new system image leaks. It not as large a community as that of the Blade, but on the other hand the MT has less problems that need correcting ;)

/Fredrik

Guest Chrisund123

It's worth to consider that Acer has just released 2.3.5 and from what I have read there isn't much wrong with it. There is a huge difference between the CPUs, so unless you dislike the physical shape of the MT I would recommend it over the Blade. Personally I'm very impressed by Acer's UI and don't think it needs much change with custom ROMs, but there are several devs here cooking new ROMs as soon as a new system image leaks. It not as large a community as that of the Blade, but on the other hand the MT has less problems that need correcting ;)

/Fredrik

It looks like I'm gonna be getting a Liquid MT to replace my girlfriends OSF, there's enough of a community here for me to be happy about the prospect of getting rid of the Acer crap from the ROM, and that'll be more than enough to meet her needs I'm sure!

Who knows, might even try my hand at building my own custom ROM if i get bored enough! :lol:

Guest Capricorn1

/Fredrik

Thanks for the reply! Think I'll go with the Acer as there's obviously an improvement in terms of hardware over the Blade and for not much of a price gap.

If anyone has any other opinions or input I'd also love to hear it but thanks for all the comments so far. I think this community will suit me down to the ground!

Guest spicysomtam

I had the blade before. Its a good value phone, but doesn't have the quality of the Acer. Sort of like a no name Chinese brand.

Acer has HD video and faster processor.

Blade doesn't support Flash; ok you can get an app for it, but Adobe is not keen on people using flash on this processor because it hasn't the grunt to drive Flash. When you do install the app, you can see the frame refreshes on Flash videos. Literally, you see each frame flick over.

Acer is a much better quality phone. The touch screen is more sensative, in general all the parts are of a higher quality (camera, etc).

Blade uses an armv6, acer an armv7.

Acer supports 14.4Mb/s downloads while the blade 7.2Mb/s.

Simple way to look at it: Acer Liquit MT is a generation on from the Blade. I recon the Blade will be replaced sometime soon.

Acer is already unlocked; Blade from Orange will need unlocking and then reflashing with a new rom. The Acer you can use straight out of the box with Andriod 2.3.5 Gingerbread. It comes without compromises and you will be running an official rom :)

Edited by spicysomtam

Guest The PFY

I own both the ZTE blade and Acer Liquid Metal. Out of the two, I much prefer the Acer Liquid Metal. As others have stated, the battery life is noticeably better, it is also a lot more snappier and more responsive. Although it's not to everyone's taste, I find the Acer UI very nice. The curved screen also works well and makes it appear that you've are using a bigger screen without distorting the display.

The ZTE has a larger homebrew ROM collection, but the Liquid Metal has newer official ROMs and the source code is available for homebrewing ROMs.

Guest Capricorn1

I own both the ZTE blade and Acer Liquid Metal. Out of the two, I much prefer the Acer Liquid Metal. As others have stated, the battery life is noticeably better, it is also a lot more snappier and more responsive. Although it's not to everyone's taste, I find the Acer UI very nice. The curved screen also works well and makes it appear that you've are using a bigger screen without distorting the display.

The ZTE has a larger homebrew ROM collection, but the Liquid Metal has newer official ROMs and the source code is available for homebrewing ROMs.

Can you disable the Acer UI on the Gingerbread version of the Liquid Metal? (the new batch will have this pre-installed)

Guest The PFY

I haven't tried 2.3.5 yet but I did replace Acer UI with Launcher Pro on the 2.3.4 leak. It worked without any issue so I would imagine it would work with 2.3.5.

Edited by The PFY

Guest Hanks6

i sold my blade and have the liquid metal on order. also thinking about the xperia play but probably not due to size. i don't see why the community support for the blade should be a swing factor over the liquid metal, we're talking drastically different specs, in particular the CPU performance. a fully optimised blade with the most perfect custom rom ever is still going to be reasonably sluggish compared to anything with more recent hardware such as the acer.

so i think the liquid metal doesn't need the 'community support' to get the best out of the hardware. it's already plenty fast, especially with the new 2.3.5. just the odd custom rom to unlock features such as overclocking, rooting and small tweaks to improve battery performance etc. seems like there is a healthy enough community here already delivering such roms :)

even getting 'smooth' performance in regular use is like trying to get blood from a stone for the blade. hence there are tons of roms trying to achieve this while remaining full functionality on the most recent builds of android. i don't dislike the blade, it was good a year ago for around the £100 mark, but there's no need for it any more. if you can afford to stretch up slightly to the price of the liquid metal, U8800, defy or even xperia play (on offer lots right now), you'll be getting a drastically better handset, both in terms of performance and build quality.

Guest k0zmic

i sold my blade and have the liquid metal. i don't see why the community support for the blade should be a swing factor over the liquid metal, we're talking drastically different specs, in particular the CPU performance. a fully optimised blade with the most perfect custom rom ever is still going to be reasonably sluggish compared to anything with more recent hardware such as the acer.

so i think the liquid metal doesn't need the 'community support' to get the best out of the hardware. it's already plenty fast, especially with the new 2.3.5. just the odd custom rom to unlock features such as overclocking, rooting and small tweaks to improve battery performance etc. seems like there is a healthy enough community here already delivering such roms :)

even getting 'smooth' performance in regular use is like trying to get blood from a stone for the blade. hence there are tons of roms trying to achieve this while remaining full functionality on the most recent builds of android. i don't dislike the blade, it was good a year ago for around the £100 mark, but there's no need for it any more. if you can afford to stretch up slightly to the price of the liquid metal, U8800, defy or even xperia play (on offer lots right now), you'll be getting a drastically better handset, both in terms of performance and build quality.

Agree with nearly all of that.

IMO The main attraction of the Blade is probably Official CM support which the Metal lacks (this could be important for a few people). I liked it although it's not essential since Gingerbread on the Liquid is perfectly fine.

Guest Hanks6

indeed. i mean the CM support is nice, but from what i could gather the battery life ranges from OKish to terrible on most CM builds for the blade. i stuck with an early 2.2 build (FLB) which IMO gave the best balance of smoothness and battery life, albeit with glitches.

i would imagine most people want to flash a custom rom onto their phone once or twice and just use the phone for it's intended purpose thereafter. not keep reflashing the latest rom/build every single week because it would address issues/improve performance on a phone which is never going to be very fast anyway.

Edited by Hanks6

Guest gregorv

Hello

As I can see expasys is changing the date for liquid metal each week.

Now it say 25 october.

I'm not sure if this phone will be in stock this month. What do you think?

Do you know any other store that has this price and has stock?

Thank you.

Guest hecatae

Agree with nearly all of that.

IMO The main attraction of the Blade is probably Official CM support which the Metal lacks (this could be important for a few people). I liked it although it's not essential since Gingerbread on the Liquid is perfectly fine.

watch this space regarding cm support, heard it will be supported soon, as a cm dev has purchased a liquid metal

Guest Capricorn1

watch this space regarding cm support, heard it will be supported soon, as a cm dev has purchased a liquid metal

So for this price range you are suggesting to go with the Acer? Are there any other android phones in or around the same price range that anyone would recommend/prefer?

Guest k0zmic

That's great news, which dev is it?