Update on development.

Guest Sami Beck

Guest Sami Beck

Just called paul @ andypad, and thought I'd post my results!

What I learned:

-People at andypad are genuinely nice people.

- I will be developing for the andypad pro.

- Kernel Source will be released soon for both andypads

Ill keep you posted and I should start developing next week!

Just called paul @ andypad, and thought I'd post my results!

What I learned:

-People at andypad are genuinely nice people.

- I will be developing for the andypad pro.

- Kernel Source will be released soon for both andypads

Ill keep you posted and I should start developing next week!

Well done, getting an AndyPad Soon. ;)

Guest Sami Beck

Good news, I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

If there's anything I can help wtih gimme a shout. :)

P

Looking to port clockwork recovery and that should open the gate to future development.

Guest Csharpe

Looking to port clockwork recovery and that should open the gate to future development.

CWM isn't the most important right now, we got all the packing and flashing tools already. More likely setting up a vendor folder & getting all hardware to work in a clean aosp rom?

Guest Simon O

More likely setting up a vendor folder & getting all hardware to work in a clean aosp rom?

^this is much more important than a recovery image for now. These Rockchip based tablets are handled differently from most other Android devices so you'll find that making a recovery image will actually be a lot more work.

Guest Sami Beck

^this is much more important than a recovery image for now. These Rockchip based tablets are handled differently from most other Android devices so you'll find that making a recovery image will actually be a lot more work.

Do you fancy assisting flib?

Guest Csharpe

And what other options are there for flashing a ROM?

RKAndroidTool works perfectly on the device. There's also the AFPTool (by Wendal) which packs all the images to an update.img, that can be flashed using the official tools. (if you want, I'll upload those later).

I've tried setting up an android vendor, but without the kernel (which they are obligated to give us by GPL), it's rather useless.

After 3 mails, they still haven't sent me the source.

Guest Sami Beck

RKAndroidTool works perfectly on the device. There's also the AFPTool (by Wendal) which packs all the images to an update.img, that can be flashed using the official tools. (if you want, I'll upload those later).

I've tried setting up an android vendor, but without the kernel (which they are obligated to give us by GPL), it's rather useless.

After 3 mails, they still haven't sent me the source.

Cant you just use stock rom kernel?

Guest Csharpe

Cant you just use stock rom kernel?

Yes, but without kernel source, there are some things you can't. e.g. the cpu is UV'd, change some drivers, add better bluetooth functionality.

Making a ROM for the current one, is really useless. We could base it on the RockChip SDK2 firmware though, since that kernel sort of 'rocks', except the touchscreen driver is inverted there (or somewhere in framework.jar, not sure yet)

If anyone's interested working on it today, irc.freenode.net #andypad

• 1 month later...

hi,

I'm surprising guys in here have interest bad chinese tablets :)

I'm doing some dev work for RK2808/RK2818 tablets from last year. I wrote some program, e.g. generate CRC for kernel/boot/recovery.img, dump ROM images on live tablet via broken MTD driver(it was terrible on 2808/2818), unpack update.img(like as AFPTool.exe from rockchip, but it can work other than Windows), and read/write flash ROM from PC via USB(like as RKAndroidTool, but w/o Windows).

I also made/making CyanogenMod7 for RK2818. very recently I got Yuandao(Window) N50, which have RK2918, and I want to make CM7 for it too.

then, how about your dev work? I want to talk with devs here.

thank you.

hi,

I made & uploaded first CM7 images for RK2918 tablets.

http://androtab.info...ip/cyanogenmod/

I have only Yuandao(Window) N50DT. I think it will work on other tablets, but it may need some modification for them. this is first one, don't expect so many. I need your info to support more tablets.

please download boot.img(ramdisk) and system.img(in zip). you need at least 144MiB system partition. you can flash these images with RKAndroidTool or rkflash/rkflashtool, or you can use these images to make custom upate.img based on your stock update.img. (replace only boot.img and system.img. do not use update.img for other tablets, otherwise your tablet will be bricked)

if you are using SDK2.0 based ROM, your stock boot.img may include kernel and you may not have separated kernel.img. then, you need to split boot.img into kernel and ramdisk, and you need to make kernel.img from it.

$ unpackbootimg -i boot.img

$ rkcrc -k boot.img-zImage kernel.img

don't forget to add/flash kernel.img into your update.img/ROM. flashed kernel.img will be used if boot.img/recovery.img is pre-SDK2.0 format, i.e. it has only ramdisk and no kernel.

new format used in SDK2.0 based ROM is almost same as common format for android. in general, mkbootimg can generate it. but Rockchip changed something. I can't regenerate same SHA1 hash value in header of boot.img(offset 0x240 bytes). it may use another value to generate hash, or it may not be SHA1.

anyway, we can split kernel and ramdisk from SDK2.0 boot.img, we can make pre-SDK2.0 kernel.img and boot.img(ramdisk) from it, so it should not be a problem.

--

if you want to build CM7 yourself, please use following repo as a base.

https://github.com/n...rockchip_rk2918

following utilities for RK28/29 may help you.

https://github.com/naobsd/rkutils

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1286305

this is my free time project. I can do something only if I have enough time, and generally I have no time at all. if you want something, you can use my files freely. I may not be able to answer your question/request so many.

thank you.

EDIT:

(removed)

EDIT2:

what works: 3D, accelerometer, audio, gapps, internal NAND flash, SD card, touchscreen, USB host/device, wlan

Adobe Flash11 works fine.

EDIT3:

(removed)

EDIT4:

new images are uploaded. no workaround is needed for 3D.

EDIT5:

my web page/thread on XDA forum are prepared for my CM7 for RK2918. please use my page/thread for my CM7.

of course you can start your own thread, you can make your own custom rom based from my images, and you can build your own CM7 freely!

Edited by fun_

random notes for my CM7

about wlan, Realtek chip is used on N50DT. it may be different on your tablet. there are firmwares for Atheros, Broadcom, Marvell chip in /system/etc/firmware/ in stock ROM. you may need to copy them into /system/etc/firmware/ in CM7 image.

about accelerometer, buttons, touchscreen, and any other input devices, it may be different on your tablet. you may need to modify init.rc and/or some files in system.img.

about bluetooth and GPS, there is no on-board chip on N50DT. I'll add support for USB dongles. if you have on-board chip, you may need to modify init.rc.

about HDMI, there is no HDMI port no N50DT. I'm not sure how to use it.

anyway, if you have some problem, please tell me detail about your tablet e.g. "dmesg", "getevent -p", "ls /dev" "find /sys", and so on.

Guest Csharpe

did anyone try my images? if it doesn't work, please tell me.

The ROM works except for the screen rotation. When holding the device horizontally, it gets set vertically. This still happens after calibration.

Touch input is correct.

edit: no wifi, camera. sound & gpu works! fastest rom ever ;)

Edited by Csharpe

The ROM works except for the screen rotation. When holding the device horizontally, it gets set vertically. This still happens after calibration.

Touch input is correct.

Any chance on some info on how you flashed it please? I've been using an unpacked stock rom and it doesnt seem to want to boot no matter how many times I copy fun_'s .imgs over the stock ones.

Touch input is correct.

calibration is for TS. not for accelerometer.

for accelerometer, please enable "accelerometer.flip_xy=1" in build.prop at first. then, tweak "accelerometer.invert_x" and/or "accelerometer.invert_y=1" and/or "accelerometer.invert_z=1".

camera must not work because I did nothing yet. wifi will work after some files are added but I need detail info about your tablet. please give me at least dmesg (just after boot, with wifi on).

please give me info, then I'll make packed image for Andypad(Pro) for a while. and please read info in my site and post#1-3 on my XDA thread.

Edited by fun_

I can boot the kernel and connect with adb but it doesn't seem to get any further. my dmesg output has this in it:

<6>[ 11.668391] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds

<3>[ 11.674235] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev mtdblock7.

<3>[ 11.679987] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev mtdblock6.

<3>[ 11.692812] init: Unable to open persistent property directory /data/property errno: 2

Which is the last thing it seems to do. Does this mean that my cache and userfiles partition are not in the right format?

Any chance on some info on how you flashed it please? I've been using an unpacked stock rom and it doesnt seem to want to boot no matter how many times I copy fun_'s .imgs over the stock ones.

I'll make packed image for Andypad(Pro). please tell me where can I download official non-modified rom image for Andypad(Pro).

I can boot the kernel and connect with adb but it doesn't seem to get any further. my dmesg output has this in it:

<6>[ 11.668391] kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds

<3>[ 11.674235] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev mtdblock7.

<3>[ 11.679987] VFS: Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev mtdblock6.

<3>[ 11.692812] init: Unable to open persistent property directory /data/property errno: 2

Which is the last thing it seems to do. Does this mean that my cache and userfiles partition are not in the right format?

sorry, I have no info about whole image you flashed. please tell/send me your original image.

random notes. these are not specific to CM7.

* boot.img/system.img format

my images are already packed/converted to proper format. boot.img is cpio+gz archive with Rockchip header and trailing CRC(like as pre-SDK2 ROM). system.img is ext3 fs image(like as SDK2 ROM).

if you want to make old format kernel.img/boot.img from SDK2 boot.img(kernel+ramdisk), please use "unpackbootimg -i" and "rkcrc -k" commands.

you can use old format kernel.img/boot.img with SDK2 bootloader/kernel.

if you want to make ext3 system.img, please make empty ext3 image, mount it, then extract cramfs/yaffs2/something system.img on it. you need to preserve permission, owner, group info.

you can use ext3 system.img on pre-SDK2 ROM with necessary modification to init.rc.

* misc.img

it just contain command for recovery. normally it's "wipe all" command. if you flashed it into misc partition, next boot will go into recovery, and "wipe all" will start automatically.

(it's not "must" thing for wipe. there is another way to wipe)

* very first logo on boot.

I think first logo is in kernel. it's same as tux(penguin) logo on Linux.

(I'm not sure on RK2918. but it's true on RK28x8)

* MTD partition layout

there are 2 info, one for kernel, one for flash tool. both need to be synced.

for kernel, there is CMDLINE: ... mtdparts=... in parameter file. you can change it with text editor.

for flash tool, there is offset/size info in header of update.img. it should be generated by AFPTool.exe with definitions in HWDEF file. there is no HWDEF for RK2918 ROM, but this way works for RK2818 ROM.

or, my rkafpack tool can set these values without HWDEF file. I confirmed it works for RK2918 ROM.

or, RKAndroidTool.exe can be used.

anyway, when you try complete new ROM (e.g. my CM7) first time, you should not change anything. please confirm procedure with working image at first, then verify what works, or not works. then you'll know what need to be modified/added for your tablet.

Edited by fun_