Archos 80 G9 Root (Phase 1)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bteeter

I'm also having the issue now where my device won't wake from sleep. Any idea on how to fix that?

Also, I can't seem to make a purchase/download through the Market app. I don't know if this is caused by the root though as I didn't try it before the root.

I was on the newest .56 firmware, I've tried reapplying the firmware as well as downgrading to the original - nothing has fixed the wake issue. For now I've just got it set to never sleep as I'm primarily using it for development, but it would be great if this could be fixed in some way.

Just a point to note that problem with tablet not waking up from sleep is something that is happening intermittently on stock firmware too, without any rooting attempts. It happened to me few times already within a week of usage.

EDIT:

Just happened twice within ~10 minutes. Hard to say what could cause it. The only unusual thing is that I've switched wifi off this morning, usually I keep it always on. Switched it back on and will see what happens next.

Edited by evad

Guest trace3k

Also, I can't seem to make a purchase/download through the Market app. I don't know if this is caused by the root though as I didn't try it before the root.

The market app is broken most of the time, so don't worry about that :-)

Guest MrChips

Just an fyi... The root works on 3.2.61 same as on the older firmware images. Unfortunately that also means it still has the same "sleep of death" issue as well... :-(

Guest MrChips

Oh, and the sound problem still there as well. No sound after root is applied. It looks like Paul has his work cut out for him... Good luck my friend! Please let us know if we can help in any way!

Rich

Guest ringofan

Please excuse a total newbie with a thick question. I have my 80 G9 (on latest firmware) connected to my PC (it shows in Windows Explorer & Device Manager, I can transfer files etc.) but whenever I attempt "adb devices" I get a blank line as a response, no device listed. Any advice gratefully received! My main interest in this is that I want to tether the Archos to my Nokia N8 but won't be able to until I can get it to see the ad-hoc wifi hotspot that my phone can create using Joikuspot. If this helps I'll be very happy indeed! 8-)

Guest MrChips

Please excuse a total newbie with a thick question. I have my 80 G9 (on latest firmware) connected to my PC (it shows in Windows Explorer & Device Manager, I can transfer files etc.) but whenever I attempt "adb devices" I get a blank line as a response, no device listed. Any advice gratefully received! My main interest in this is that I want to tether the Archos to my Nokia N8 but won't be able to until I can get it to see the ad-hoc wifi hotspot that my phone can create using Joikuspot. If this helps I'll be very happy indeed! 8-)

You may need to update your ADB drivers to recognize the G9. Here's a thread that might help:

If you still have issues after updating your drivers, please let use know!

Rich

Guest hotrodder

Does everyone who tries this suffer the no sound problem? Im currently building an in car project using the G9 and need to be able to shutdown / reboot off an app (both triggered on screen and triggered using automateit). Its pretty much the last thing i need to sort so as soon as I can root I should be sorted! Sound is kinda important though as it will be a media player.

Guest ringofan

You may need to update your ADB drivers to recognize the G9. Here's a thread that might help:

If you still have issues after updating your drivers, please let use know!

Rich

Rich,

Thank you so much for your help. Still no luck though. My Windows 7 x64 system still doesn't like the driver (although it does now seem to accept that it IS a driver for my device, it wouodn;t even admit it could find one before I made the changes you highlighted!). It now says that my MTP USB device already has the best driver installed. Device Manager calls the Archos an Archos 80 G9 not an unknown/other device so whatever default driver W7 x64 has installed seems to be preventing my attempts to replace it. Any further help will be gratefully received!!

Thank you in advance!

Guest MrChips

Rich,

Thank you so much for your help. Still no luck though. My Windows 7 x64 system still doesn't like the driver (although it does now seem to accept that it IS a driver for my device, it wouodn;t even admit it could find one before I made the changes you highlighted!). It now says that my MTP USB device already has the best driver installed. Device Manager calls the Archos an Archos 80 G9 not an unknown/other device so whatever default driver W7 x64 has installed seems to be preventing my attempts to replace it. Any further help will be gratefully received!!

Thank you in advance!

So, now when you go and type "ADB Devices" does it still show just a blank line? I'm assuming you've killed and restarted the ADB daemon, correct?

Guest ringofan

So, now when you go and type "ADB Devices" does it still show just a blank line? I'm assuming you've killed and restarted the ADB daemon, correct?

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply; absolutely spot on. I have killed & re-started the ADB daemon but I still get a blank line when I type "adb devices". I am slowly approaching my wits' end... 8-)

As always, any advice will be gratefully received.

Guest asadullah

So I ran the root process pretty easily using ubuntu adb was a breeze. Just a quick run through rooted on 2.2.22 firmware had same issues as everyone else couldn't stand it so upgraded to the latest STILL had no sound until full factory reset. Was thinking about this paul has a way to get the su binary on the device we put su on the device use dd to pull the boot.img. Once pulled change the build.prop in the ramdisk to read ro.secure=0 then since we have su we could use flash_image to push it back to the device. Once that is set run a factory reset and everything should be good and you'll have the ability to adb remount and push su to system/bin chmod it and whatever else ... bt without any problems since it's clear it the root process that's causing problems (no offense to anyone).

Also wanted to note that if you want to see stock recovery turn off your device and while holding down the volume up button press and hold power until you get to the recovery screen. Once there you can use the volume buttons to move through the selections and the power buttton to select things but be warned.

Edited by asadullah

Guest hotrodder

Im just desperate for the root as its pretty much the only thing holding me back from my car install... hopefully it will get done before too long but i know these things take time and people work on it as and when. Fingers crossed :-)

Id try to help, but i dont have any experience of this sort of thing. Ive worked with linux and in programming but never on this side of things.