Ice Cream Sandwich

Guest c3n9

Hardware-accelerated 2D drawing

All Android-powered devices running Android 4.0 are required to support hardware-accelerated 2D drawing. Developers can take advantage of this to add great UI effects while maintaining optimal performance on high-resolution screens, even on phones. For example, developers can rely on accelerated scaling, rotation, and other 2D operations, as well as accelerated UI components such as TextureView and compositing modes such as filtering, blending, and opacity.

finally the thing we were waiting on... :D just that it needs to be made for the blade :D:D

Currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. Theoretically should work for any 2.3 device.”

-Gabe Cohen, Google Android Team

ahoy!!

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. Theoretically should work for any 2.3 device.”

-Gabe Cohen, Google Android Team

ahoy!!

I think they mean that manufacturers will have the option to support it (possibly by making a newer kernel)

Guest deksman2

Didn't Google spout some nonsense about not implementing gpu accelerated 2d drawing up until now because 'low end phones' simply lack the hardware to do so?

If this is the case, wouldn't gpu accelerated 2d drawing be a problem for the Blade?

On another note, the Blade's specs are essentially identical to iPhone3G... and that thing is optimized for gpu accelerated UI, so hardware-wise, I would say the Blade is more than capable, but why would 'low end phones' be left out?

http://developer.and.../sdk/index.html

Waiting for CM9 for our devices rolleyes.gif

Only the SDK is released, so you can build apps for android 4.0. The source code is not released yet therefore they can't start to develop CM9.

BTW: The question is still if the source code will be released, google is not obliged to do it and at the moment they "don't have anything to say on that subject"

Guest Chris Banks

Only the SDK is released, so you can build apps for android 4.0. The source code is not released yet therefore they can't start to develop CM9.

BTW: The question is still if the source code will be released, google is not obliged to do it and at the moment they "don't have anything to say on that subject"

Andy Rubin mentioned that they'll be making ICS open source when the galaxy Nexus ships.

Thanks for your explanation!

Guest jonas.lindberg

But, correct and excuse me if I've got something wrong, the Honeycomb source code was never released but some guys got it booting on a Blade anyway, what made that possible? And what is different now in this ICS-case?

But, correct and excuse me if I've got something wrong, the Honeycomb source code was never released but some guys got it booting on a Blade anyway, what made that possible? And what is different now in this ICS-case?

That was using the SDK, which was why the bits that did work were incredibly slow.

Guest jonas.lindberg

That was using the SDK, which was why the bits that did work were incredibly slow.

Just as we have the ICS SDK by now? Which means that a, incredibly slow and hardly working, ROM would be possible?

Guest hecatae

Just as we have the ICS SDK by now? Which means that a, incredibly slow and hardly working, ROM would be possible?

jonas, if you are willing to test, go grab honeycomb blade boot.img grab the system.img from the sdk, create a update.zip, flash it, see if adb works and report back

Last version "15.7.2011" was not slow, but it had some unresolved issues.

Guest jonas.lindberg

jonas, if you are willing to test, go grab honeycomb blade boot.img grab the system.img from the sdk, create a update.zip, flash it, see if adb works and report back

Actually, I'd love to try, if just someone would take the time to put the files together in the right way. Feel that I don't have the skills and confidence in this subject to do it myself.

Quite sure I wouldn't be the only one trying it out if it was possible neither...

Guest tsddave

Lets face it , alot of work would need to be done to make it work well on our blades.We are looking at 2012 before something could be made half decent and thats assuming the source code is made available soon.