PJ77, on 24 October 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:
Just ordered one of these (Vodafone 858) for my
wife/girlfriend/etc(it's just kinda lulzy
), but now I need a little bit of help.
I'm not new at this (advanced user in Huawei X5) but after reading few posts I'm a bit confused.
Therefore I ask kind help for the following:
- Install CWM
- Install a custom rom (what are the alternatives available)
- Instal kernel (what are the alternatives available)
- What percautions before each step
- So,it's simple - rooting - just install and run this
. (Copy the .apk to the mSD,enable 'Unknown Sources' from Settings>Application Settings )
- Installing a CWMRecovery - as the phone will most likely arrive with Froyo, you can just install Recovery manager
and then download and copy to your mSD this img file
. After you've done that,just follow the on-screen prompts to install the Recovery
- Custom ROMs - you can pick between everything from just an unbranded stock ROM
, a couple of customized Froyos like Dronix
to a couple of full fledged CM7.1 mods - a clean implementation
(btw,I'm using it atm,but version .3 as .4 has some issues at the moment) or a Lucky-enhanced CM7
- At the moment I'm unaware of custom kernels being available outside the various ROMs (unless you're willing to experiment and make yourself one)
- Installing the ROMs is beyond simple:
1 - Restart your device and press Power+VolumeUP until you're booted into CWMRecovery
2 - CHOOSE BACKUP AND RESTORE > BACKUP
(trust me,it's a lifesaver if you get a botched install OR you just don't like the installed ROM)
3 - Wipe Data and Cache, then Wipe Cache (better safe than sorry)
4 - Choose - 'Install .zip from SDcard'
5 - Reboot device
6 - ???
7 - Profit!
You've got your new ROM so have fun setting it up and enjoying it.
Btw,if you decide you want to install recovery via fastboot or you had other questions or something.. Feel free to ask
PS. If you want to avoid some network data charges when you're installing a ROM - pull out the SIM until you're done with the set up process