OMC /SKATE Can You Use Camera Flash as a Torch?

Guest FatLadZ

no i think maybe i shouldnt sell one!

this phone does everything i want apart from flashlight

As tilaz has already said,"I think it may not be possible because of hardware limitations"

Guest FatLadZ

As tilaz has already said,"I think it may not be possible because of hardware limitations"

oh i didnt see that he had put that anywhere.

damn looks like its time to change phones again :(

oh i didnt see that he had put that anywhere.

damn looks like its time to change phones again :(

You want to change phone because led can't be used for flashlight!

That's a little extreme.Android has so much more to offer other than a torch.

Who uses led torch that much anyway? If this feature was enabled,I could not think of many situations that I would need it other than to see the keyhole when I stagger home late from a good night out.

Is it really that important that you would give up your skate for it?

Guest FatLadZ

yes im afraid so.

i work in a dark building and regulary go into dark areas at work to attend a broken machine.

Most of the time i forget to carry a flashlight to just peek at a number on a component and its then that the flashlight comes in very usefull.

Guest dibbles

Wow changing phones for a flashlight :blink:

Still that is up to you :)

When I posted about a torch you might want to think about it. Mine is really small and clips on my keyring. I do not need to remember it as it is always with my keys, which I always have when I go out, as I need to lock my door. So it is never forgotten. It saves my phone battery and it is very bright, being an LED type. It is also small.

If there are other reasons to change the OMC, and the torch situation is just pushing that along, it seems reasonable to me but if your only reason of changing is due to needing a torch then I would need to reconsider that.

However I note that you write...

i work in a dark building and regulary go into dark areas at work to attend a broken machine.

You do realise that your employer has a duty of care for you and it is their responsibility to provide and safe working environment..?

Guest FatLadZ

You do realise that your employer has a duty of care for you and it is their responsibility to provide and safe working environment..?

lol i am the employer :)

Guest cyberbit

All of us has different reasons for smartphones, So PLEASE DONT GIVE UP TO CONTINUE TO TRY TO USE SKATE AS A TORCH, IF SOMEONE FIND SOMETHING TO START JUST SHARE TO TILLAZ

Guest WillDroid

Right, I've been thinking about this, would it be possible to decompile the android camera apk, and look for the code that tells the flash to be on when a picture is taken, and then just amke ourselves a simple app that calls up the same function at the push of a button, rather than only when a picture is taken. Also, (I don't currently have an OMC, getting one for Christmas :)) is there an option to enable the flash while recording video? If so, then that would be the function to call up, rather than the camera flash.

Will

Guest WillDroid

I've had a look inside the camera apk from Bluemonte, and in the \res\values folder, I've found arrays.xml contains this:

<string-array name="pref_camera_video_flashmode_entryvalues">

<item>torch</item>

<item>off</item>

</string-array>

Is this relevant?

Edited by WillDroid

I've had a look inside the camera apk from Bluemonte, and in the \res\values folder, I've found arrays.xml contains this:

<string-array name="pref_camera_video_flashmode_entryvalues">

<item>torch</item>

<item>off</item>

</string-array>

Is this relevant?

Good find.

Surely if no values are set,all that needs to be done is to enable them?