usb zip not loading. will vegacomb fix it

Guest arcie31

Guest IanTurner

You are trying to install the contents on your PC aren't you ?

By fail to load you mean install or doesn't appear after installing and rebooting the PC when you plug the vega into the pc with the supplied cable ?

Guest arcie31

Hi

No i dont have it connected to anything. I am trying to install the usb zip file.

It appears to start OK and a box and android character pop up. The arrow comming out of the box just stays there. When i hit the back button on the top of the vega the screen says somthing like installation fail. I will double check. Is there another way of doing this. Cheers

Guest arcie31

It says installation aborted.

Does it take some time to install. I come out after a couple of minutes. Is it me coming out that is aborting it. Also the date and time keep resetting.

Appreciate your help

Guest IanTurner

You're meant to install the USB drivers on your PC not on the Vega. The Vega is already setup to communicate with a PC when connected with the cable

Guest arcie31

You're meant to install the USB drivers on your PC not on the Vega. The Vega is already setup to communicate with a PC when connected with the cable

Thanks for that, New to this tablet thing, god help me if I try this honeycomb carry on.

couple more thing. I have downloaded a few apps but to downlaod google apps I guess it has to be honecombed ?

last thing my advent doesnt recognise my micro Sd card anymore. I must have corrupted it at some point.

Its only 2gb and I have bought a 16gb. do I need to do anything to the 16 before I put it into my machine for it to work.

WHen I look at whats on the 2Gb there are apps on it but the apps work on the tablet without the SD card. do I need to put this info onto the 16gb card

Sorry to be a pain but I honestly know nothing

Guest richardmlea

Thanks for that, New to this tablet thing, god help me if I try this honeycomb carry on.

couple more thing. I have downloaded a few apps but to downlaod google apps I guess it has to be honecombed ?

last thing my advent doesnt recognise my micro Sd card anymore. I must have corrupted it at some point.

Its only 2gb and I have bought a 16gb. do I need to do anything to the 16 before I put it into my machine for it to work.

WHen I look at whats on the 2Gb there are apps on it but the apps work on the tablet without the SD card. do I need to put this info onto the 16gb card

Sorry to be a pain but I honestly know nothing

Hi arcie, welcome.

No you don’t need do anything to your new SD card it will just work if it’s correctly formatted (most are out of the box). If not you can use the Vega to format it. Go to apps and press recovery. Your Vega will reboot and go into clockworkmod recovery. From in clockworkmod recovery you can format and partition the SD card and partition it (useful but not necessary). Then when you restart android the operating system will create and directories need automatically. You can just copy then entire SD card contents to your hard disk and then onto the new card. This will lead to a cluttered SD card after a while.

I would just transfer the files you want to keep (videos, music, and documents ect.) to your PC before you change the card and then back to the Vega afterward.

If you have just bought the Vega you probably haven’t install many apps, if any. You can use clockworkmod to backup you apps and account data if you want but I would recommend starting again from scratch to get a clean install and a tidy SD card. Its simple enough to get a pen and paper (remember them) and write down the apps you want to keep then install them again after a fresh install. Zen clean install, clean SD card, clean mind.

Installing Vegacomb is not complicated but if you are running with the stock rom from advent the first thing to do is install the moddedstock rom this will get you some minor improvements and will ready your Vega to accept vegacomb.

There are some great guides on here but you should start by installing vegatools (and the included AUDI program (Automatic USB Driver Installer) on your PC this will help you install moddedstock on your Vega and help you to get the correct drivers installed on your pc (and let do loads of other cool stuff to your Vega).

Here's a link to the vegatools thread

Here is the moddedstock thread for more info on moddedstock http://tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/1307-%5Brom%5D-moddedstock_1-10-v2-updated-stock-rom-base.html

You can download moddedstock from there or let Vega tools download it for you.

Once vegatools is installed put your Vega into recovery mode (different recovery mode to last time this one is called NVflash recovery) and install moddedstock on your Vega (one click in vegatools).

To place the Advent Vega into NVflash recovery mode:

o Turn the Vega off by holding down the POWER button for 6 seconds

o Once off, hold the BACK button down for 2 seconds

o Then, whilst keeping the BACK button held, press and hold the POWER button for 2 seconds

o Then release just the POWER button but keep holding the BACK button for a further 2 seconds

o Release the BACK button

The Vega will not light up but it should in NVflash recovery mode

Once you have moddedstock up and running that’s the hard part over, you can now upgrade to vegacomb with clockworkmod recovery and the Zip files for vegacomb

http://tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/1923-%5Brom%5D-%5B3-2%5D-vegacomb-3-2-build-6-a.html

And the latest update Honeyice

http://tabletroms.com/forums/vega-rom-development/3084-%5Brom%5D-honey-ice.html

I know that’s a lot to throw at you at once but its not as complicated as it sounds.

Good luck and don’t forget to give thanks to the Devs.

Edited by richardmlea

Guest IanTurner

Didn't know clockworkmod recovery came with the stock rom installation. The op hasn't mentioned installing any other rom.

Note the Google market only partly works on the Vega once you install vegacomb as Google seem to be blocking full account

linking on devices where the manufacturer hasn't paid the licence fee for the market. So while you can use a Google mail address

To activate the market it won't recognise that you're logged in so paid for apps can't be bought

Edited by IanTurner

Guest arcie31

Cheers. Alot to take but i will take my time. Problem with the sd card is

Tablet powers up then shuts dowm

powers up again and shuts down again.

How do i keep the vega on to enable me to reformat the card or do i do it all connected to a laptop

Again many thanks guys.... anyone live near cleethorpes LOL.

Guest richardmlea

Cheers. Alot to take but i will take my time. Problem with the sd card is

Tablet powers up then shuts dowm

powers up again and shuts down again.

How do i keep the vega on to enable me to reformat the card or do i do it all connected to a laptop

Again many thanks guys.... anyone live near cleethorpes LOL.

OK I have probably complicated things by talking about flashing, let’s just stick to the sd card for now.

As Ian has pointed out clockworkmod may not be installed on the stock advent Rom (it’s been a long time since I have used it) so you may not be able to format the card like I have suggested.

We should know some things first.

What Stock rom version are you running (go to settings, about tablet).

What files are on the old SD card, are there any documents or media files or is it just program files that you have installed to the SD card?

Sorry Cleethorpes is a little far from Manchester or I would just come and install Vegacomb for you. :)

Guest arcie31

Really do appreciate you leading me by the handwith this.

Right.

The SD card is in my laptop at the moment for me to read it because (as I said) the Vega keeps shutting down when it tries to reasd the SD.

Contents: (Folder first)

Android secure - com.halfbrick.ageofzombies-1asec

Android - Data file: com.coolirisdata.media & com.google.android.apps.maps

bluetooth - age of zombies v.1.0.8.apk

DCIM - thumbnails, thumbbate3---1967290299

Download - (apps I've downloaded but dont mind deleting)

gvSIG - three folders. Config, layers, & maps

LOST.DIR - empty

Olivetestfile - PPT, word excel examples

Openfeint - Webui folder: stuff in this folder

Software update - empty

Vega media - Docs, music, videos, Photos all empty.

I dont mind deleting anything

Thanks again

Guest simonta

Really do appreciate you leading me by the handwith this.

Right.

The SD card is in my laptop at the moment for me to read it because (as I said) the Vega keeps shutting down when it tries to reasd the SD.

Contents: (Folder first)

Android secure - com.halfbrick.ageofzombies-1asec

Android - Data file: com.coolirisdata.media & com.google.android.apps.maps

bluetooth - age of zombies v.1.0.8.apk

DCIM - thumbnails, thumbbate3---1967290299

Download - (apps I've downloaded but dont mind deleting)

gvSIG - three folders. Config, layers, & maps

LOST.DIR - empty

Olivetestfile - PPT, word excel examples

Openfeint - Webui folder: stuff in this folder

Software update - empty

Vega media - Docs, music, videos, Photos all empty.

I dont mind deleting anything

Thanks again

Format your SD Card in the PC (just right click it and select Format or Properties->Tools->Format) as FAT32

Power off your Vega.

Put the SD Card int

Power on the Vega.

That should be it. Android will sort out the card when it boots.

PS. Did you get your card from eBay or similar? There are many fake SD cards around which will give you nothing but trouble.

Guest richardmlea

If there is nothing you want to keep on the old card just format it on your pc like simonta says.

Maybe you have a duff SD card as simonta has suggested. Theres a lot to be said for buying a sd card from a high street retailer instead of ebay.

Guest IanTurner

The original sdcard should be 4GB unless you've partitioned it yourself with an EXT2 formatted partition for application backup.

If there's nothing on it that isn't on the inbuilt flash then just reformat the existing card , put it back in the vega and then reboot twice before trying to use it (I think twice as it needs to create the relevant folders before it can use it to store media files).

Check the vegamedia directory for any music/pictures/video files first.

Guest arcie31

Got the followingfiles down loaded.

Which order do I follow and how do i get them on the Vega if they are on my PC

Cheers

SoftwareImage_v1.10_Vega_Final

System USB (Zipped)

Vegamodedstock_v1.10_v2

VT4.1_Update

VT4setup

my SD is currently blank

Guest richardmlea

Got the followingfiles down loaded.

Which order do I follow and how do i get them on the Vega if they are on my PC

Cheers

SoftwareImage_v1.10_Vega_Final

System USB (Zipped)

Vegamodedstock_v1.10_v2

VT4.1_Update

VT4setup

my SD is currently blank

This is what you need to do with the files you have.

SoftwareImage_v1.10_Vega_Final : Not Needed as you will be using Moddedstock

System USB (Zipped) : Also not needed as it’s included in Vegatools

Vegamodedstock_v1.10_v2 : This needs to be put on you PC Hard drive in c/program files/vegatools/resources/stockmod but you need to install Vegatools and its update first.

VT4.1_Update : This needs to be installed on your PC but after you have installed the main Vegatools program

VT4setup : Install this on you pc First

So First install Vegatools and its update on your pc.

Then put the Moddedstock v1.10 v2 file in c/programfiles/vegatools/resources/stockmod on you PC.

You can then open Vegatools but you need to do this as an administrator (right click on the Vegatools program and click run as administrator you will be prompted by windows to confirm this).

When you open Vegatools look at the bottom of the program window, you will see Vega status and a button to its right that says install drivers w/AUDI, press this.

Now in one you need to choose “I want to install advent stock rom using recovery mode.

Next you need to put the Vega into recovery mode and connect it to your PC.

If you have done the Back button thing correctly you will be in recovery mode and the red box at the bottom will say “the recovery driver is not correctly installed proceed to step 3. Click “next step” under the red bar.

In step 3 you could probably skip part A as you have nothing you want to keep but it can’t hurt so do it anyway, then do the other 2 steps (B delete old drivers and C install correct drivers). When you do step three you will get a prompt box, select “just do it for me”, you may also be asked by windows to confirm the unverified driver, do it. You are now finished with the driver install and can go back to Vegatools to install moddedstock.

In Vegatools select moddedstock v.1.10 v2 and click install, and ok the prompt box’s that pop up. The file will be extracted, and then a command prompt will open and run automatically and send the files to the Vega. It will take about a minute and when it done you can press return (when prompted) and close Vegatools.

You are now running ModdedStock and the Vega is ready to take Vegacomb.

The next bit is easy and you do is all on your Vega.

Connect Your Vega to your pc and turn on media storage.

Move the Vegacomb zip files to the SD card (anywhere will do).

Unplug the Vega from the PC and on the Vega press apps and the recovery.

Your Vega will boot into clockworkmod recovery.

In clockworkmod recovery you first need to delete 3 caches (one is in advance). You can then go to advanced and select “install zip from SD card” and select the Vegacomb zip file and confirm the selection. Vegacomb will now install itself on your Vega. After the Zip is installed you can repeat the above steps (just the ones in clockworkmod recovery) and install any Vegacomb updates you have downloaded (i.e. Honey Ice).

You are now running Vegacomb, Enjoy :)

Edited by richardmlea

Guest arcie31

Right who guessed i'd be back.

All went well until i got to:

Now in one you need to choose "I want to install advent stock rom using recovery mode" That lost me.

Got the 4 box's above audi

Went to the first box and cicked advent vega 1.10 then install

Request to down load the file

Clicked download

Start down load....Yes

Download complete....OK

File downloading please wait. waited ages Clicked OK

Where have I gone wrong

Plane sailing till then

Cheers

Guest arcie31

ignore the above post got that bit sorted...my oversight as administrator.

However.....

Went to load up modded stock and it went like this.

Clicked on Moddedstock and it extracted

Threw up a blck screen with lots of white text.

it scrolled through for some time and ended by asking me to press enter.

Is that it?

According to the instructions it says click install..didnt get that request

and OK the prompt box's didnt get them either.

Is it still done.

Cheers

Guest richardmlea

ignore the above post got that bit sorted...my oversight as administrator.

However.....

Went to load up modded stock and it went like this.

Clicked on Moddedstock and it extracted

Threw up a blck screen with lots of white text.

it scrolled through for some time and ended by asking me to press enter.

Is that it?

According to the instructions it says click install..didnt get that request

and OK the prompt box's didnt get them either.

Is it still done.

Cheers

Baby steps are fine, you will be up and running soon. :lol:

You may not get the windows prompt box's. It depends if user access control I switched on, on your PC.

Yes its OK, you are now running moddodstock. It should look the same as before but the file system on the vega has been setup for Vegacomb and you have clockworkmod. Continue to the next step and install vegacomb.

Guest richardmlea

Right who guessed i'd be back.

All went well until i got to:

Now in one you need to choose "I want to install advent stock rom using recovery mode" That lost me.

Got the 4 box's above audi

Went to the first box and cicked advent vega 1.10 then install

Request to down load the file

Clicked download

Start down load....Yes

Download complete....OK

File downloading please wait. waited ages Clicked OK

Where have I gone wrong

Plane sailing till then

Cheers

I Know you said ignore this but you said here you clicked on advent vega 1.10, This is wrong you should have clicked on vegamoddedstock v1.10 (v2).