Superboot - Galaxy Nexus root solution

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mikehayes

r2 online with retail device support.

P

Can confirm R2 works. After reboot, hung on Google screen. Waited a minute, pulled battery, restarted and SU + Busybox installed + working. Root access granted!

Thanks Paul! Great work

Guest AndyCr15

Okay, it seems to have worked, but when I try and restore an app in TB it seems to get stuck. Likewise when I tried a cache cleaner.

Is it just me with issues?

Guest mikehayes

You pulled the battery and rebooted and it was there? Is this a perm root now?

Yes, pulled battery after a minute or two as I wasn't sure .... put battery back in and restarted. Superuser was installed, ran check through SU to make sure latest/root granted etc and it was. Then installed Root Explorer - could access system/app and data/app which you can't do unless you have root (only problem is Root Explorer needs a new release, due to the way that ICS manages apps menus now being hard aligned to right - therefore off the GN screen, should be easy for developer to do though). Then installed Titanium Backup and ROM Manager and all fine.

Okay, it seems to have worked, but when I try and restore an app in TB it seems to get stuck. Likewise when I tried a cache cleaner.

Is it just me with issues?

Titanium Backup isn't compatible with ICS yet.

P

Guest mamoulian

Quite a PITA getting the fastboot drivers, I've not had a Samsung device before, installed Kies and rebooted, no help. Ended up following a suggestion on various forums to install PDANet, which installed the drivers fine.

After that, Superboot r2 went in smooth, device rebooted on its own and su working lovely... thanks again Paul :-)

I'm not new to Android, but I'm very new to rooting. I just ordered a GSM unlocked Samsung Galaxy Nexus and decided that I want to root it. I would like to be ready to go when it gets here. Will it come with an unlocked bootloader? I'm using a Mac and didn't understand the terminal command to input to unlock the bootloader because it said "windows" in it. Is there something I need to do to unlock the bootloader on my Mac? I really appreciate it. I feel so stupid asking for help on something so simple. :P

Cheers,

Ben

EDIT: Is there currently a way to unroot? Do you recommend rooting? I wouldn't install a custom ROM. I just want to be able to back up and use the device as a USB host and use apps that require root. Is it really "all that"? Much appreciated.

Edited by benblb

Guest grindboy

Finally!! Mamoilain is right getting the correct drivers in order is the most difficult bit of this. Paul you might want to add that the easiest way to get the drivers working is to install PDANet in the first post.

After that install went very smoothly. Everything working perfectly now on a UK Retail Sim Free handset. :D

Guest Johan Rylander

Noting that a reboot (power down/power on) does not remove being rooted. Tnx!

Best regards

/Johan

Edited by Johan Rylander

Do you have a stock boot image to unroot the phone/is that how you would do it?

Had the sleep of death 3 times so far and I want to exchange it but need to put it back to stock.

Thank

Matt

Guest masterpfa

I ended up using PDAnet for drivers too as nothing else seemed to allow the phone to connect in bootloader. All rooted fine following Paul's methods.

Do you have a link for the PDAnet drivers, I too am having difficulties in getting to connect my GN in bootloader mode

EDIT

Sorted, Google was my friend, PDAnet for PC was what I needed (I already installed the app on my phone). In my defence it was late at night and I had tried endless number of times before realising PDAnet was available for PC's too.

Edited by masterpfa

Superboot updated to r3, chmod fix and volumefix kernel used on superboot boot.

If you have superbooted previously, re-doing so with this release is recommended.

P

Hi Paul,

Am I doing something wrong. I run the bat on top of my MCR rom on my phone, and now superuser Force Closes all the time?

May be some stupid questions:

It is recommended to apply rc3.

What are the benefit over rc2?

Do we have to apply it?

Are other fixes included with it or do we have to apply them sepparetely (ie: volume fix, rotation etc....)?

How do we do the "clear data" on superuser?

Again sorry if the questions above are stupid.

Guest FatherD

Reboot bootloader and try again, also check MD5 of the download.

P

ok .. will do thanks :)

edit: Sorted! .. had to re-plug the device several times .. then it worked when I was about to give up :D

Edited by FatherD