Patent Replacement LCD (maybe better then M101NWT2 but cant test it yet)

Guest richardmlea

Guest richardmlea

Hello everybody,

About week ago I damaged my Vega messing about inside it. I thought I had damaged the LCD as the tablet boots up and outputs to HDMI but the LCD doesn’t work. It doesn’t even light up, even when I am using Nvflash to install a rom. So I ordered a replacement off eBay (£38 inc. delivery). The advert said M101NWT and didn’t mention that is would be a compatible patent unit. Of course it was a compatible part not the original and to top it off it didn’t work, or didn’t work with my motherboard.

The model number is KL28E and the manufacturer is YP Optoelectronics LTD. Here is a photo.

13112011026.jpg

I cant find any info on the manufacturer or the model number on Google.

I contacted the seller and asked him to confirm that it was compatible (and complain a bit). They apologised and confirmed that it was tested before dispatch and it should work with the Vega. They offered me a 10% refund or a full refund if it wasn’t up to scratch (quality wise) and I wanted to return it but they where unable to give me any technical data such as viewing angles or response time. I was going to send it back unless it was better than the standard one (it can’t be any worse) but at the moment I can’t find any details about the model or the manufacturer. It looks good quality and has exactly the same dimensions (including depth) as the M101NWT2. The sticker on it says “compatible with: B101AW02, B101AW06, LTN101NT05, CLAA101NB03A, LP101WH2 and N101L6-L0D.

Thinking I could find out more about the KL28E that I did a little searching on Google for the technical specs of the models listed. This is the Data I have been able to gather.

101AW02

AU Optoelectronics

Size : 10.1

Brightness : 170

Resolution : 1024*600

View Angle : 45*45*15*35

Backlight : LED

Pixel : WSVGA

Contrast Raio : 300

Connector : LVDS

Response Time : 16 Ms

B101aw06

AU Optoelectronics

Pixels H x V 1024x 600x 3(RGB)

White Luminance (ILED=20mA)

(Note: ILED is LED current)

[cd/m2] 200 typ. (5 points average)

170 min. (5 pContrast Ratio 400 typ

Response Time [ms] 16 typ / 25 Maxoints average)

Viewing Angle 45/45/15/35

LTN101NT05

Samsung

1024X600

16;9

Response: 16ms

Viewing angle: 40/40/10/30

Claa101nb03a

Chunghwa Ltd

Pixels 1024x600

Response 8ms

View 45/45/15/35

Luminance 200cd/m2

Contrast 300.1

LP101WH2-

Samsung

pixel format: 1366x768

luminance:250cd/m2

weight:210g

surface treatment: anti-glare

contrast ratio: 450

viewing angle:60/60/50/50

Fit Laptop models:

ACER DELL Lenovo laptop lcd screen.

N101l6-L0d

Chi Mei

Pixel Number 1024 x R.G.B. x 600 pixel -

Pixel Pitch 0.2175 (H) x 0.2088 (V) mm -

Pixel Arrangement RGB vertical stripe - -

Display Colors 262,144 color -

Transmissive Mode Normally white - -

Surface Treatment Hard coating (3H), Glare - -

Luminance, White 200 Cd/m

Viewing angle 45/45/20/45

Here are the basic specs of the M101NWT2

Contrast ratio : 500:1

Luminance : 200 Cd/m2

Viewing angle : 45/45/15/35

So they are all very similar compared to the M101NWT2 except for Samsung LP101WH2 which has a greater viewing angle, slightly better luminance and higher resolution. So in theory the mystery LCD I have may be as good as the Samsung one. It’s wishful thinking I know but as Dwane Dibbly says “you never know”. I am not really thinking about using the higher resolution but the increased viewing angle would be nice. Even if its not as good as the Samsung its logical that the Samsung LP101WH2 may work with the Vega.

Unfortunately as my motherboard seems to be faulty I am unable to test the KL28E for now but will give an update as soon as I can find a replacement mobo to try it with.

Edited by richardmlea

Guest Solidare

Hi Richard

Top drawer stuff, and really interested in what you find. Thanks for the info and please post back.

Cheers

+1

Great post Richard. Stripping the Vega's hardware maybe beyond the scope of what most Vega users would be comfortable doing but I'm pretty sure it would be more than just me and Simon interested in your findings. It would be nice to have the option of a screen with improved viewing angles however optimistic that may be.

Hope you manage to find a new motherboard.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest richardmlea

Hi all,

I just fitted the new screen and first impressions are that it's infinitely better than the stock one. :D

Colours seem much more vibrant, Brightness and contrast are better (blacks are much blacker) and response time seems good. Most importantly the viewing angles are much improved. Horizontal viewing angle has increased noticeably and vertical viewing angle seems to have nearly doubled. :o . These are rough estimates and I need to test it in more lighting conditions, I also haven’t had my Vega working for about a month I have nothing to compare it to other than month old memories but i can confidently say that its a lot better.

Fitting was relatively simple. With the Vega stripped to just the LCD and the touch screen I forced a credit card under the LCD (started at the top corner near the control board) and past the double sided tape holding the T.S. and LCD together. I then very carefully worked the card around the edge of the LCD to release the double side tape. This was very stressful as the T.C. feels like it will break at anytime; slow and steady wins the race here. Lie the T.C. face down on a perfectly flat surface so it won’t flex and break you want the LCD to bend not the T.C. I didn’t warm up the T.C. up be I am sure this would help. Once the seal is broken all they way around you can remove the LCD.

I used the original plastic strips (used as spacers) and thin strips of double side clear tape from B&Q to stick the new LCD in place (after cleaning the T.C. and LCD and using a vacuum cleaner to make sure no dust got trapped inside).

It went in without a hitch and I didn’t even need to calibrate the touch screen.

I'm a happy Bunny!

If I can get the Higher resolution working that will be gravy. B)

Enjoy, I know i will,

Richard

P.S. can a moderator change the title to "Patent Replacement LCD (Tested, definitely better then the stock M101NWT2)"

P.S.S. I got it off ebay, if you want the sellers user id, P.M. me or i will post it here with the permission of a Moderator.

Edited by richardmlea

Guest add.thebad

nice work. Ive fancied changing the screen on the vega because thats the only bit that lets it down just never wanted to waste money getting 1 that wouldnt work.

If you can get a resolution boost as well as better viewing angles that should be great

Never done it but i think you can edit the screen resolution in the build.prop which is located in /system partition which should be simple to do

think that will work

can you post some pictures if you get it working

Guest richardmlea

Bit of a problem, could do with some feedback. Everything is fine running moddedstock but Vegacomb 9n is garbled 02122011094.jpg

Honeyice 3.2.7b is not garbled but the wifi is not working because it needs to be setup before installing 3.2.7b. I cant setup the wifi in Vegacomb 9n because of the garbled display so no wifi in honeyice 3.2.7b.

I have tried Vegacomb update 3, still garbled.

So I need some previous versions of honeyice to try be and some ideas as to why its happening.

Too tired now cant think, try again tomorrow.

Guest IanTurner

Got a vega dock ? You could then plug it into a tv, mouse and keyboard to setup the wifi.

Now only £19.99 if you have a pcworld near you that has it in stock (no home delivery)

Guest richardmlea

Got a vega dock ? You could then plug it into a tv, mouse and keyboard to setup the wifi.

Now only £19.99 if you have a pcworld near you that has it in stock (no home delivery)

Yes I have a dock, Good thinking Batman :D

Guest richardmlea

Dock worked. All working now in the latest honeyice. I wonder whats causing the display not to work in vegacomb 9n?

Thoughs anyone?

Edited by richardmlea

Guest IanTurner

Dock worked. All working now in the latest honeyice. I wonder whats causing the display not to work in vegacomb 9n?

Thoughs anyone?

No but why do you have to enter wifi details before installing honeyice ?

Guest richardmlea

No but why do you have to enter wifi details before installing honeyice ?

If you install honeyice 3.2.7 on top of a fresh Vegacomb 9n, 9n update 3 or previous versions of honeyice you need to connect the wifi in the previous version before updating to 3.2.7 or the wifi fails.

Edited by richardmlea

• 2 weeks later...
Guest huwwatkins

If you install honeyice 3.2.7 on top of a fresh Vegacomb 9n, 9n update 3 or previous versions of honeyice you need to connect the wifi in the previous version before updating to 3.2.7 or the wifi fails.

Hi

If the screen is better than the original then I would be grateful if you could pm me the seller id.

Thanks

Guest richardmlea

My initial impressions have changed a bit. It is much better than the original but the overall horizontal viewing angle is not as good as I thought is was. They have moved the optimum horizontal viewing angle from 90 degrees to about 70 degrees so although the viewing angle looks better when viewing at less than 90 decrees, viewing a 110 degree is as bad as the original. Hope i have explained that so its understandable.

I will try to explain t another way.

if I hold it at a right angle to me in landscape with the camera at the top and tilt the camera away from me. The picture starts going dark at about 20 degrees of tilt. But if i hold it the same way but with the camera at the bottom I can tilt the top side away from me to about 70-80 degrees before it starts going dark. This would work perfectly if the screen was the other way around. As it is, the best viewing angles are to be had when holding it upside down. Not perfect but acceptable.

I Have broke my touch screen cable so have not tested it in many lighting conditions and wont be able to test it much more until I get a replacement (will have to wait until new year as I am really skint). It will be better than the original one in strong light but don’t expect ipad2 quality (I have to say the ipad2 screen is amazing).

You will find the ebay seller if you search for "IVO M101NWT2 R0 HW". You will find a few, the correct one has the ACER logo in the picture. ebay user id is a something like this (123-somethingerother).

I hope this is helpful and not breaking any rules.

Regards

Richard

Hi

If the screen is better than the original then I would be grateful if you could pm me the seller id.

Thanks

Me too.

Done and done.

• 1 month later...

Could someone pm me the link of the lcd panel on ebay or similar?

I haven't been able to find a replacement myself.

Many thanks,

A very sad owner of a broken advent vega :( :( :(

Edited by Melted

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ian Kendall

An interesting read. I installed the same screen into my Vega last year (I bought mine broken and got a screen from eBay). The story of how I did this is on the forum somewhere, and a search on my username should bring it up if anyone is interested.

WRT to the garbled screen with VegoComb - I got the same and posted about it in the Vegacomb thread. I found out there, from one of the developers, that this particular screen doesn't work with the Vegacomb display drivers. Apparently there are only two other people with this problem, so it's unlikely that the devs will spend a lot of time looking for a fix. So, it's staying with R8 for me :)

Take care, Ian

Guest richardmlea

WRT to the garbled screen with VegoComb - I got the same and posted about it in the Vegacomb thread. I found out there, from one of the developers, that this particular screen doesn't work with the Vegacomb display drivers. Apparently there are only two other people with this problem, so it's unlikely that the devs will spend a lot of time looking for a fix. So, it's staying with R8 for me :)

Hi Ian,

Things have changed since you tried to use Vegacomb.

The screen now works with all versions of Vegacomb (honeyice and veiwcomb) after build 9n update 3. VegaICS works too.

You are in for some sweet honey flavoured fun or maybe you would prefer something cooler like some Icecream. :mellow: :) :D :lol:

I am currently testing a LP101WS1 (the 1024x600 version of LP101WH2). The viewing angle of the LP101WS1 is even better than the KL28E. I am unable to compare all three side by side at the moment as I am waiting for some replacement touchsceens to arrive. They should arrive early next week so I will review it when I can directly compare them.

Edited by richardmlea

Hi Ian,

Things have changed since you tried to use Vegacomb.

The screen now works with all versions of Vegacomb (honeyice and veiwcomb) after build 9n update 3. VegaICS works too.

You are in for some sweet honey flavoured fun or maybe you would prefer something cooler like some Icecream. :mellow: :) :D :lol:

I am currently testing a LP101WS1 (the 1024x600 version of LP101WH2). The viewing angle of the LP101WS1 is even better than the KL28E. I am unable to compare all three side by side at the moment as I am waiting for some replacement touchsceens to arrive. They should arrive early next week so I will review it when I can directly compare them.

We'll wait for your report with expectation to see if we can improve de Vega looking anglesbiggrin.gif

• 2 months later...
Guest Daedric1383

This got me interested, i'm on Europe and there's a UK seller with several types of LP101WS1:

Also the specs say the resolution is 1024 x 576, is this normal ? Also, they give this warning:

"Older models uses the standard 1 x CCFL LCD screen where as the newer models uses the latest LED technology screens"

I have a Viewpad 10S, which one do i have ? :D Is it common on the several builders ?

"Some laptop models uses 2 different type of screens. Older versions uses standard CCFL screen where as newer models are being replaced with the latest LED technology screens. These screens are NOT inter-changable i.e. you cannot replace a standards CCFL with an LED type or vice versa. Therefore it is highly recommended that you contact us to confirm compatibility before you order."

Finally, would this be a noticable improvement on the screen quality of the standard viewpad 10S ?

Guest gingercat

I'd be very interested in a replacement screen with better viewing angles - the vega is excellent but for the pretty poor screen.