Photo

Tutorial - Get your MAC Address if you already unlocked - NOW UP!

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

metal.mickey

metal.mickey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Devices:Newman K1a
Right. im in Phils boat, Ive rooted, installed bluemonte and am running the unlocked phone.

Ive manged to change the macaddress via the es file explorer method and saved the file.

but my wifi still doesnt work

it says scanning : connecting : disconnected in the Wifi settings over and over again.

any ideas.

the macaddress is valid, i copied one from the mac address generator. In the About>status>MAC ADDRESS it says 17:D2:2B:BA:30:94

Edited by metal.mickey, 18 November 2011 - 09:48 PM.

wrtease

wrtease

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Interests:TESTING ANDROID MOBILES TO THE LIMIT
    ALWAYS READY TO TRY OUT ANY ROM AND MOBILE TO THE LIMIT
  • Devices:SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB2 & S1 8GB
  • Twitter:@none
have you rebooted since editing.

PhilAtkinson

PhilAtkinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One
I find that I need to edit both the NV_4319 & the NV_4329 files when I do it manually on the stock ROM. When I did it on the Atomic Blue ROM I only needed to edit the NV_4319.txt file so it may be worth trying to edit the NV_4329.txt file as well.

Right. im in Phils boat, Ive rooted, installed bluemonte and am running the unlocked phone.

Ive manged to change the macaddress via the es file explorer method and saved the file.

it says scanning : connecting : disconnected in the Wifi settings over and over again.

any ideas.

wrtease

wrtease

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
i forgot to say edit both .i did this to.

wrtease

wrtease

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
hi metal did you edit the nv files.

putbinoot

putbinoot

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300, Jiayu G3.

any ideas.

the macaddress is valid, i copied one from the mac address generator. In the About>status>MAC ADDRESS it says 17:D2:2B:BA:30:94

In wifi settings select your network and tell the phone to forget it then let it scan again so you have to enter the password again.

Posted Image

xiaoyaoswim

xiaoyaoswim

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate

I've reinstalled the stock ROM now, set the phone into FTM mode & downloaded a *.qcn file. Interestingly, this time I could not find the '11 22 33 44 55 66' that I tried to replace the first time I restored the edited *.qcn file. On comparison with the original *.qcn file there is a hex number which is as follows: 51 55 41 4C 43 4F. The display under settings for the WiFi Mac Address is still showing 11 22 33 44 55 66 & it still does not work. The WiFi Mac Address that still appears in my NV_4319.txt file in /System/etc is still 11 22 33 44 55 66. Now I'm a little confused because I was expecting the phone to have exactly the same *.qcn file this time!

Since I don't like to play around with the HEX Editor as I can do serious damage, I thought I should first ask what I should do. Should I be trying to replace the 51 55 41 4C 43 4F that appears in this new *.qcn file or is there something else that I should be doing. I have reviewed my original *.qcn file & my restore file and can confirm that the only data that is different is the 11 22 33 44 55 66 which was replaced by my WiFi Mac Address; I know that I did nothing incorrect in that process as I am extremely careful. It just seems strange that I am having problems with the WiFi on my phone & I am pretty sure that this has something to do with it.

I do note that you are saying to search for '00 11 22 33 44 55' & the instructions are saying '11 22 33 44 55 66' Is there a reason for this difference?

What should I be doing next?

Sorry for the '00 11 22 33 44 55' thing, it was just my mistake.
It seems that you do have successfully changed and restored the QCN since the data of 11 22 33 44 55 66 has been changed.
Is 51 55 41 4C 43 4F the MAC address you recorded before the unlock process? If not, please replace it with your mac address and restore the new qcn again. If that is already your MAC, it would be very strangePosted Image The only thing I could suggest is that you flash to stock ROM (stock System ROM, stock Recovery and stock Boot; the easiest way to get every thing back to stock is to flash an Orange image.bin via TPT)to see if the MAC address is displayed correctly in your phone.

PhilAtkinson

PhilAtkinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One
Thanks; I reloaded the stock ROM as suggested and then redid the whole processs. This time I rooted the phone before reflashing the *.qcn file. I have to say that I have no idea why the downloaded *.qcn file was different to the first one as the address was not changed by me but after much thought I decided that it would not do any harm to reload my original edited file. My thinking was that it should not brick the phone! So that's what I did & lo & behold everything seems to be ok now. My problem was that the phone was not rooted prior to doing the reload; it's the problem I thought I had but could not work out how to deal with it since the phone should have been rooted. Anyway, it's all ok now I think as the original WiFi Mac address is displayed in the settings & I can log onto my local WiFi.

So a big thank you to all those people who contributed to this resolution; you've all been a great help :-)

Sorry for the '00 11 22 33 44 55' thing, it was just my mistake.
It seems that you do have successfully changed and restored the QCN since the data of 11 22 33 44 55 66 has been changed.
Is 51 55 41 4C 43 4F the MAC address you recorded before the unlock process? If not, please replace it with your mac address and restore the new qcn again. If that is already your MAC, it would be very strangePosted Image The only thing I could suggest is that you flash to stock ROM (stock System ROM, stock Recovery and stock Boot; the easiest way to get every thing back to stock is to flash an Orange image.bin via TPT)to see if the MAC address is displayed correctly in your phone.

metal.mickey

metal.mickey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Can you point me to a stock Tom so I can reset and try again. Ta

putbinoot

putbinoot

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300, Jiayu G3.

Can you point me to a stock Tom so I can reset and try again. Ta

http://android.modac...30#entry1806530

Posted Image

Christian Edwards

Christian Edwards

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks Guys, got through it in the end, got stuck backing up to qcn as the phone kept rebooting, but once I read though the whole thread and found the bit replacing the battery once into FTM I was away.
Just show you need look before you leap!

metal.mickey

metal.mickey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Still no joy,

Ive installed stock rom and run the "install-recovery-windows" to enable FTM mode.

from there ive connected the usb cable with debugging enabled and pressed the VOL- to go into FTM mode.

Ive opened QPST and run the software download app. Clicked the BACKUP tab and backed up the .QCN file.

Rebooted the phone and checked the mac address and its listed as 11:22:33:44:55:66

Ive opened the HEXneo program and done FIND 11 22 33 44 55 66 > String not found.

ive reinstalled clockwork mod and installed blue monty but still no joy....

any ideas

MM

wrtease

wrtease

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
please read the guides and you will get it done .

Edited by wrtease, 19 November 2011 - 09:34 PM.

mikhd002

mikhd002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Devices:Orange Monte Carlo/ ZTE Skate

Still no joy,

Ive installed stock rom and run the "install-recovery-windows" to enable FTM mode.

from there ive connected the usb cable with debugging enabled and pressed the VOL- to go into FTM mode.

Ive opened QPST and run the software download app. Clicked the BACKUP tab and backed up the .QCN file.

Rebooted the phone and checked the mac address and its listed as 11:22:33:44:55:66

Ive opened the HEXneo program and done FIND 11 22 33 44 55 66 > String not found.

ive reinstalled clockwork mod and installed blue monty but still no joy....

any ideas

MM

I originally tried it with hex neo, and I coudn't find it either, but then I tried using the hex editor used in the video, in the OP and did it with no problems, I think its a problem with hex editor neo.

mikhd002

mikhd002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I unlocked my phone before the mac address fix, and I subsequently went through the tutorial on how to fix this. I had previously changed the MAC address back through ES File Explorer, but as I was experimenting with ROMs, I kept having to use 3G to download ES File Explorer in order to fix the wi-fi, so I decided to follow the tutorial. The trouble is, that although my wi-fi now works (mostly) without problems (except for a very weak signal), whenever I connect to it, it comes up with this message 'your phone doesn't write MAC address, please confirm'. I have no idea what this means, or what I have to do to fix it, but when I go into ES File Explorer, the MAC address seems fine.

Edited by mikhd002, 20 November 2011 - 11:10 AM.

wrtease

wrtease

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
something to do with its not writen into memory i think.

xiaoyaoswim

xiaoyaoswim

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

I unlocked my phone before the mac address fix, and I subsequently went through the tutorial on how to fix this. I had previously changed the MAC address back through ES File Explorer, but as I was experimenting with ROMs, I kept having to use 3G to download ES File Explorer in order to fix the wi-fi, so I decided to follow the tutorial. The trouble is, that although my wi-fi now works (mostly) without problems (except for a very weak signal), whenever I connect to it, it comes up with this message 'your phone doesn't write MAC address, please confirm'. I have no idea what this means, or what I have to do to fix it, but when I go into ES File Explorer, the MAC address seems fine.

If you have edited the QCN file and restored it to your phone, you don't need to edit nv_4319.txt any more. I think the message you got is caused by the modified nv_4319.txt.

mikhd002

mikhd002

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I found out what the problem was. I accidentally changed B3 to 83 when I was writing down my address. Speaking of this, I think all ZTE Skate MAC addresses start with B4:B3:62 by default. This was true in my case, and in the picture of the comparison of MAC address and Bluetooth Address either in this thread or in the other unlocking thread. If you could check, that could be quite useful in making this process easier.

xiaoyaoswim

xiaoyaoswim

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

I found out what the problem was. I accidentally changed B3 to 83 when I was writing down my address. Speaking of this, I think all ZTE Skate MAC addresses start with B4:B3:62 by default. This was true in my case, and in the picture of the comparison of MAC address and Bluetooth Address either in this thread or in the other unlocking thread. If you could check, that could be quite useful in making this process easier.

That is true. B4:B3:62 is the Vendor OUI (Organizationally Unique Identifier) of ZTE. You can look it up in http://www.macvendorlookup.com/

metal.mickey

metal.mickey

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
i ended up modding the 4139 file with es files exp to the mac address of my blade and all is well now.

thanks for combined wizdoms

much appreesh

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users