Smashed glass on Vega

Guest RTR1879

Guest RTR1879

I've read with interest the tales of poor souls who have had their screens damaged and have yet to find a solution to resolve it. And then... boom... a heavy football trophy was knocked off a chest of drawers onto my Vega and cracked the glass.

The screen is undamaged, and the digitiser still tracks properly. All that has happened is that the trophy seems to have hit right on the right hand edge of the black surround/frame, and has "spiderwebbed" half way across the screen. Slivers of glass are removable from within the webbing.

Is this simply a case of calling in at my local glass merchant, getting them to cut a piece to fit (in the same thickness/weight, and pick all the broken pieces off the unit and fit the replacement? Has anyone successfully done this?

Thoughts appreciated.

Rob

Guest IanTurner

Thoughts are the same as before.

The glass and digitiser panel are bonded together as a single unit which cannot be purchased

except in bulk. The only way to fix it is with another broken vega where the damage is not the glass/digitiser unit.

Guest dringie

I had the same thing, glass cracked but screen all ok. I couldn't fix it my self and so decided to use my insurance. My insurance tried to fix it but quicky found the same problem as me and gave me a whole new vega.

Guest RTR1879

Thanks guys.

So, I *could* buy a 2nd hand vega with a damaged LCD panel and, as long as the glass isnt cracked, fit my Vega's guts into it......?

Interesting. Not had a decent little hardware project since I made a working laptop from the guts of two non-working ones.... eBay here I come....

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
Guest windin101

it just so happens my vega gave up the ghost last week on a trip away. It just totally stoped charging! I have checked the charger and its all fine

So I went out and bought myself a Xoom and am going to flog the Vega stripped for parts on ebay I am sure someone must be interested in the LCD, Digitizer and Battery at least

it just so happens my vega gave up the ghost last week on a trip away. It just totally stoped charging! I have checked the charger and its all fine

So I went out and bought myself a Xoom and am going to flog the Vega stripped for parts on ebay I am sure someone must be interested in the LCD, Digitizer and Battery at least

I'll bid for the glass screen, very interested as I broke mine. Post the links once they are on ebay please.

Edited by Melted