26 replies to this topic

thla

thla

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Does it support swedish?

If the previous versions of Android did, then yes.

Karucifer

Karucifer

Editor

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Warranty-voiding gadgeteer. The android-powered toaster is WIP. Systems Architect and Technologist.
  • Devices:HTC One X, Macbook Air
  • Twitter:@Karucifer
@pascanu - I'm not sure I agree there, Flash has never been a big deal for me, I didn't miss it when it was absent and when it has arrived on devices I've typically removed it or used Easy Freezy to prevent it from being invoked.

Adobe entered the mobile space to protect their interests and it has never been a particularly good fit. Something that even they now admit to be the case, seeing HTML5 as a more suitable long-term solution.

So, in short, we noticed it but don't really feel its loss :lol:

thla

thla

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

@pascanu - I'm not sure I agree there, Flash has never been a big deal for me, I didn't miss it when it was absent and when it has arrived on devices I've typically removed it or used Easy Freezy to prevent it from being invoked.

Adobe entered the mobile space to protect their interests and it has never been a particularly good fit. Something that even they now admit to be the case, seeing HTML5 as a more suitable long-term solution.

So, in short, we noticed it but don't really feel its loss :lol:

How so? Everyone, including Adobe, knew it was a transitioning tool for HTML5, there's really noone who is denying that projects like Flash and Silverlight will be deprecated "soon", it was a pre-mature kill for Adobe, but it was an eventuality noone was really denying, unfortunately Apple didn't want to play ball, and given that many mobile sites are already written with the iphone/ipad in mind, it doesn't really make sense to introduce fragmentation.

I still use it, some of the sites i used still haven't remotely done any great mobile site, let alone one with the full multimedia experience, so for me it's still very useful, HTML5 just isn't ready for primetime, and it's a shame that Apple are more concerned about trying to kill Android than provide their customers with the choice of an experience not limited by some mobile sites.

Karucifer

Karucifer

Editor

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Warranty-voiding gadgeteer. The android-powered toaster is WIP. Systems Architect and Technologist.
  • Devices:HTC One X, Macbook Air
  • Twitter:@Karucifer
The lack of flash has hardly harmed 'other' platforms, can you name one 'killer' feature on Android that couldn't have been achieved by other means? (or wasn't already being done in other ways for other platforms)

You would be surprised how many HTML5 sites you use every day :-)

thla

thla

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

The lack of flash has hardly harmed 'other' platforms, can you name one 'killer' feature on Android that couldn't have been achieved by other means? (or wasn't already being done in other ways for other platforms)

You would be surprised how many HTML5 sites you use every day :-)

That it could be achieved does not mean that it was achieved.

As i said, in my case, the sites i visit have poor video support on their mobile sites, if any at all, the best i've seen sofar is one where they link directly to the movie making it open in the video app, so in most cases i fall back to changing my user agent for the sole purpose of getting the flash content so i can get proper video support.

Which of course brings me back to the original point, Flash for mobiles was intended as a transitionary tool until HTML5 had properly taken over, and while it's probably mature enough to take over basic video content, it's just not happening here.

pascanu

pascanu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:G1, Magic, Archos5IT, Desire
I don't care about "other platforms", I care about what I want, what drew me to Android. A few examples:- half the car dealers sites use Flash for car configurators; this year I have been doing a lot of research and comparisons to buy a new car and it was useful to be able to do it on my phone when I wasn't near my computer- I do a LOT of browsing on my phone (I'm very mobile); once in a while I stumble across some video that I would like to see and don't want to be told "You can't see it right now; you have to remember to visit this website later when you get to your computer"; It just feels like "coitus interruptus"
I'm not gonna argue with you, HTML5 is the future, Flash is buggy, it's huge, a big resource hog and so on, I don't need it all the time but I want it, it's been there from the beginning. 50.000.000+ downloads on the Market says something about it.
I'm a long user of web on mobile (started with a Handspring Visor, gone through several Palm models, had a Treo 650, then I imported my G1 one month after it launched in the US because I felt this was the future) and always hated that I had to settle for WAP, "mobile version" and so on. I want the FULL web version of a page, weather I'm on my desktop, my laptop, my tablet or my phone. My 7 years old IBM desktop has a Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM and something that can't even be called a graphic card. Can you tell me that a dual core processor with 1 GB RAM and a great GPU can't run Flash?! I think Google had to talk to Adobe (and even twist their arm) to bring Flash to ICS before they dropped support.

The other disturbing thing is that most sites / reviewers now say Flash is no big deal or simply ignore the issue. It's like nobody ever used / liked Flash but waited for S. Jobs to die to admit it! Come on! Android is now the dominant mobile OS and it looks to me that for this reason it is being dumbed down to accomodate the average Joe. Think about it: two months ago if you asked someone what phone has no physical buttons, no SD card and doesn't support Flash what would the answer had been? What about today?
[Sorry for the long rant]

mit78

mit78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:i9250,s8600
  • Twitter:@none
do you have anyone 4.0.3 stock not modded version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users