Storage space, and UI

Guest _Mark_

Hi,

I've just bought an Acer Liquid Metal and I'm pretty pleased with it but I have a couple of annoying issues...

1. I read in reviews that you could revert to the stock UI, but I can't find the option to do so? Is it because the phone has 2.3.6 installed? I've not had a smartphone before so I don't really know what I'm missing; but I don't like the weird page turn thing in Breeze...

2. I've had the phone one day, downloaded about 10 apps (mostly small utilites, a couple of bigger things like Flash Player) but already I'm getting 'low storage space' messages. I bought an 8GB SD because I envisaged having pages of apps and games and stuff - but at the moment it looks like I can have about 3 games and that's it (I don't wanna go below 20MB due to the annoying notification). I thought smartphones were supposed to be smart? I've used App 2 SD but most things can't be moved. Also, there's about 50MB of Acer s*** that can't be uninstalled. Is there a way round this?

So to help with these two problems (2nd one most urgent!) - Is there anything I can do without rooting? I don't want to void the warranty cause I saved up for about six months for this phone and if I brick it I'm ******.

But if I have to root, what's the most painless, safe and noob friendly way to go about it?

Thanks, hope someone can help -_-

Edited by _Mark_

Guest scotth324

To get rid of all the Acer junk and move apps to the SD it will need to be rooted. I used Titanium once rooted to delete the Acer apps. Also if you do root it and put a different ROM on it you can revert it back to completely stock with stock recovery by flashing a stock Acer BIN through Acer Download Tool. That way if something on the phone screws up you can bring it completely back to stock. There are a few good ROMs here as well. Instructions for rooting and flashing are all over this website and there is another fresh post just like yours that has been in use in the last few days which answers your questions.

Guest Rotorcycle

The easiest way to root and get rid all all that Acer crap is to install a custom ROM. May I suggest t&l Metal. The AOSP variant has all the Acer stuff removed, so stock lock screen, etc.

You'll need to install recovery in order to install any custom ROM. Also follow the instructions to partition your SD card for Link2SD.

I use Link2SD to install most of the data for apps to the EXT partition of my SD card. I have quite a few apps installed, and still have around 80MB left on my phone memory.

Guest billybiro

To get rid of all the Acer junk and move apps to the SD it will need to be rooted. I used Titanium once rooted to delete the Acer apps. Also if you do root it and put a different ROM on it you can revert it back to completely stock with stock recovery by flashing a stock Acer BIN through Acer Download Tool. That way if something on the phone screws up you can bring it completely back to stock. There are a few good ROMs here as well. Instructions for rooting and flashing are all over this website and there is another fresh post just like yours that has been in use in the last few days which answers your questions.

Hi scotth324,

I believe you may be referring to myself when you mention the other "fresh" post. I did indeed ask most of the same questions that the OP in this thread is asking.

Given the extremely low price that Expansys are currently selling the Acer Liquid Metal for and given that they have over 200+ in stock, *and* the fact that it's right before Xmas, I can imagine that many newbies to the Acer LM (like myself) will be getting the phone and having to ask the same questions over the coming weeks/months.

Therefore, it might be wise to create a stickied thread collating the info from the other threads, especially including the info about reverting the phone completely back to "stock", which isn't completely obvious (at least it wasn't to me). I'd happily offer to do this myself, however, I'm still very much a noob to the Acer LM and would not want to get anything wrong in the tutorial. Just saying as I have a feeling neither myself nor this threads OP will be the last ones asking these questions!

Hi scotth324,

I believe you may be referring to myself when you mention the other "fresh" post. I did indeed ask most of the same questions that the OP in this thread is asking.

Given the extremely low price that Expansys are currently selling the Acer Liquid Metal for and given that they have over 200+ in stock, *and* the fact that it's right before Xmas, I can imagine that many newbies to the Acer LM (like myself) will be getting the phone and having to ask the same questions over the coming weeks/months.

Therefore, it might be wise to create a stickied thread collating the info from the other threads, especially including the info about reverting the phone completely back to "stock", which isn't completely obvious (at least it wasn't to me). I'd happily offer to do this myself, however, I'm still very much a noob to the Acer LM and would not want to get anything wrong in the tutorial. Just saying as I have a feeling neither myself nor this threads OP will be the last ones asking these questions!

Not totally sure what you believe a STOCK Acer LM is - the current version of android available for download from acer is 2.3.6.

This is likely the version that is on the phone you have purchased if obtained recently.

If by STOCK you mean a phone without all the ACER addons then you are not really talking about a STOCK phone but instead a ROOTED phone.

Regardless - the only way to get decent memory management out of this phone due to the way the memory is partitioned is to root the phone, delete the acer bloatware using Titanium Backup or other tools like Root Explorer, then install Link2SD which will allow you to install a whole swag of apps without running out of internal memory.

Westa

Guest billybiro

Not totally sure what you believe a STOCK Acer LM is - the current version of android available for download from acer is 2.3.6.

This is likely the version that is on the phone you have purchased if obtained recently.

If by STOCK you mean a phone without all the ACER addons then you are not really talking about a STOCK phone but instead a ROOTED phone.

Regardless - the only way to get decent memory management out of this phone due to the way the memory is partitioned is to root the phone, delete the acer bloatware using Titanium Backup or other tools like Root Explorer, then install Link2SD which will allow you to install a whole swag of apps without running out of internal memory.

Westa

Hi Westa,

Nope. By "STOCK", I'm referring to returning the phone to the EXACT state that it is in when you first take it out of the box. This would include the stock ROM and kernel along with all of the Acer apps (whatever version that is - for the european LM's shipped at the moment that's "Acer_LiquidMT_4.000.13_EMEA_GEN1") but ALSO the stock recovery.

The primary reason for wanting this of course is that if something goes wrong hardware-wise with the phone and you're still within warranty, you can return the phone to it's exact "first-out-of-the-box" state. If you return the phone with custom recoverys and custom ROMs installed there's a good chance they won't fix your phone but return it to you telling you you've voided the warranty (due to the custom software you've installed).

So can I root and still use the stock ROM?

1. Do I just have to flash CWM (as per here) and then that Superuser thing like in the Sticky?
  2. Will this allow me to use an utility to move more apps to the SD than I can currently?
  3. If so, which utility (or utilities) is best for doing this?
  4. Is there a helpful list of apps that shouldn't be moved?

Also, out of interest, why is the first step for flashing a new ROM on the sticky "download gingerbread"? Hasn't the phone already got it? (I'll live with the acer ROM by the way, I'm just intrigued).

Thanks all :)

Guest Smeelious

So can I root and still use the stock ROM?

1. Do I just have to flash CWM (as per here) and then that Superuser thing like in the Sticky?
  2. Will this allow me to use an utility to move more apps to the SD than I can currently?
  3. If so, which utility (or utilities) is best for doing this?
  4. Is there a helpful list of apps that shouldn't be moved?

Also, out of interest, why is the first step for flashing a new ROM on the sticky "download gingerbread"? Hasn't the phone already got it? (I'll live with the acer ROM by the way, I'm just intrigued).

Thanks all :)

You can use the stock rom yes.

1) yes.

2) yes

3) Depends on what you want to do. Many apps work though. Link2SD, Apps2SD, Titanium backup will do it, among others. I'd go with Link2SD if you want to move files to the EXT partition on your SD card.

4) If you aren't using the eXT partition and just moving apps to the SD card's normal partition...Don't transfer any system apps, launchers, keyboards, or widgets.

Only recently has the phone been shipping with gingerbread. And in some locals (Canada *cough* damn you Rogers) it isn't otherwise available.

Edited by Smeelious

You can use the stock rom yes.

1) yes.

2) yes

3) Depends on what you want to do. Many apps work though. Link2SD, Apps2SD, Titanium backup will do it, among others. I'd go with Link2SD if you want to move files to the EXT partition on your SD card.

4) If you aren't using the eXT partition and just moving apps to the SD card's normal partition...Don't transfer any system apps, launchers, keyboards, or widgets.

Only recently has the phone been shipping with gingerbread. And in some locals (Canada *cough* damn you Rogers) it isn't otherwise available.

So provided I don't transfer system apps, launchers, keyboards or widgets then I don't need to partition the SD? Cool.

Also, will rooting in this way allow me to delete the Acer bloatware - what can/can't be deleted?

So provided I don't transfer system apps, launchers, keyboards or widgets then I don't need to partition the SD? Cool.

Also, will rooting in this way allow me to delete the Acer bloatware - what can/can't be deleted?

Link2SD is the best tool around for moving pretty much ALL non system apps to SD - it also moves some apps that

cannot be moved using App2SD/Move2SD and also dynamically moves dalvik-cache and lib files as well.

The reason Link2SD is different from other App2SD tools is that when its running effectively Android does not actually know that the files are NOT actually installed in internal memory. Link2SD achieves this by setting up a physical link between the file in the ext partition and the location where it would have been stored in the internal partition.

There is one other very big difference as well - and a big reason for partitioning your sd card

- if you connect to your phone to your computer and turn on usb file sharing

- ANY app that you used App2SD/Move2SD to move will cease to work until you remove the usb connection

This does NOT happen with Link2SD - because the ext2 partition is NOT disconnect when you attach to a computer.

Westa

Guest sambartle

I personally use the Stock Acer 2.3.6, rooted with a custom Kernel.. its more stable than the custom rom's for me.. Im waiting for someone to add LiquidMT to CM7 and then I can build my own..

The apps that I removed which make the biggest difference are (all in /system/app folder)..

SocialJogger2.apk - the twitter/facebook integrator for Acer UI

WS.apk - Mcafee WaveSecure

DTG.apk - Docs to Go..

AcerRegistration.apk (and another named something else.. I deleted them with *egis*)

UrFooz.apk - The most useless app ive ever seen.

RS.apk - RoadSync.. Whatever that is

AcerSync.apk - Acers Sync app..

And possibly a few others.. I'd have to check on my other pc as i've done that from memory.

The only problem is that wont actually help.. as that space isnt used for the user storage.. so itll be empty... but unusable.

To solve that you can copy most APK's from /data/app to /system/app.. to make them system apps.. Ive done that with all the google stuff.. translate, shopper, barcode scanner etc... and also link2sd and some system apps like the led light app for the camera etc..

Not all aps work when installed as system but most do.

If its not clear if you can delete something and you are tempted pm me and ill let ou know what it does.. also if you need a hand doing any of the above let me know.

Sam

I also suggest change rom (I use DMD: fast as hell, cool icons, zero problems) and use link2sd.

Your phone will turn into a new and powerful device and you'll smile :)

• 4 weeks later...

Right, sorry for this bump - but I've decicded to go for it, and I neep a little help!

As for the username change, I used facebook login before, but it doesn't seem to be functioning now!

Here's what I want to do:

1. Install CWM
  2. Do the superuser thing
  3. Partition SD
  4. Install Link2SD and move apps over
  5. Delete pointless system apps (even though it won't gain any usable space, they annoy me)

OK, so first hurdle. CWM says:

Activate Debug USB on your phone.

Plug your phone to your computer with your USB cable.

Unzip the "RecoveryMT-3.0" folder from the zip file.

Launch "install_recovery.cmd".

I've activated Debug USB, plugged it in, downloaded the zip file. Now, where do I unzip it to? And do I launch it though my PC?

Also, before I start, is there anything I should do backup-wise, from the internal memory? I was planning to partition the SD using CWM, so I'll backup that then.

Thankyou

Edited by 00Mark

Guest Sinesweep

I've activated Debug USB, plugged it in, downloaded the zip file. Now, where do I unzip it to? And do I launch it though my PC?

Also, before I start, is there anything I should do backup-wise, from the internal memory? I was planning to partition the SD using CWM, so I'll backup that then.

Yep, Recovery is unzipped to, and installed via your PC.

Then run from your phone with either an app (eg Quick Boot) or the 9 finger Namibian death choke (Power + Vol up/Vol down + focus (half camera))

For backups I always try to run the fullest backups I can (Titanium backup and a Recovery nandroid +ext) every couple of days - especially while I am continually messsing around with ROMs etc.

You shouldn't need what you are deleting, but It cant hurt, right? :)

Make sure you use the right Recovery for your chosen Rom - I still use 2.2 as I think i needed that for T&L. Its a few posts down in Vaches sticky.

Good luck

Edited by Sinesweep

Yep, Recovery is unzipped to, and installed via your PC.

Then run from your phone with either an app (eg Quick Boot) or the 9 finger Namibian death choke (Power + Vol up/Vol down + focus (half camera))

For backups I always try to run the fullest backups I can (Titanium backup and a Recovery nandroid +ext) every couple of days - especially while I am continually messsing around with ROMs etc.

You shouldn't need what you are deleting, but It cant hurt, right? :)

Make sure you use the right Recovery for your chosen Rom - I still use 2.2 as I think i needed that for T&L. Its a few posts down in Vaches sticky.

Good luck

I wasn't planning to get a custom ROM, just get superuser privileges on the stock one. Maybe later...

Since I haven't rooted yet, Quick Boot won't work will it? It says it needs root privileges. So I take it I just have to use the Power + Vol up/Vol down + focus for the time being...

edit: well, I feel like a complete noob - but I've unzipped the RecoveryMT-3.0 (CWM) folder into my documents. Had plugged in the phone, turned on USB storage and USB debugging (are both of these needed?) - then clicked on the install_recovery.cmd file and saw the preview, which said:

Be sure you have checked this points :

on you computer : install acer driver

on your phone : enabled USB Debuging in Settings/Application/Developpement on you phone or the tool will have "device not found error"

I've done #2, not sure about #1. Any help?

Edited by 00Mark

Guest Sinesweep

I think drivers are installed as part of the AcerSync Software. Go to your local acer site, support, drivers, smartphone, etc etc

also Smeelious posted a direct link here

http://android.modac...ost__p__1851518

Quickboot requires root access

you shouldn't need usb storage on - I think that's just to have the sd card show as a drive on your PC for file Xfers. Just Debugging so they can "talk"

what i'd like to know is if there#s any way to turn off the LED notifications on the top of the phone (low battery/messages) without moving to a ASOP rom/interface? they kinda annoy me and if i can't get them off any other way i'll do this...

I followed the instructions for putting CWM on my phone, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything!

I followed all the prompts, it found the device, the black screen came up with the coloured squares, and it seemed to be a success - but I can't boot into it!

I've tried (Power + Vol up/Vol down + focus) as suggested by Sinesweep, (Volume Up + Focus + Power) as said by the sticky, but no joy! Is there a way I can check to see if it has worked? And is there a specific order these button must be pressed (I know all at the same time, but which first)??

Edit, I seem to have done something - I tried again and now I have small white text saying 'USB Download Mode' in the corner and nothing else. What's more, I can't turn it off - should I remove the battery?

Edited by 00Mark

Guest stonebear

I followed the instructions for putting CWM on my phone, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything!

I followed all the prompts, it found the device, the black screen came up with the coloured squares, and it seemed to be a success - but I can't boot into it!

I've tried (Power + Vol up/Vol down + focus) as suggested by Sinesweep, (Volume Up + Focus + Power) as said by the sticky, but no joy! Is there a way I can check to see if it has worked? And is there a specific order these button must be pressed (I know all at the same time, but which first)??

Edit, I seem to have done something - I tried again and now I have small white text saying 'USB Download Mode' in the corner and nothing else. What's more, I can't turn it off - should I remove the battery?

I believe it is Volume Up + Focus + Power for this recovery, personally I use the older 2.2 recovery and that is Power + Vol up/Vol down + focus, once you have it rooted you can just use Quickboot or something to get into it but for now you have to do the key-combo thing and it can be quite tricky, you have done it wrong and that is why it is in "usb download mode", yes remove the battery and try it again. It will work if you do it right, assuming you have the recovery on there.

I think Usb download mode is volume up + camera + power, what you have probably done is press too hard on the shutter button, you need to just press it half-way (ie. focus).

Edited by stonebear

I believe it is Volume Up + Focus + Power for this recovery, personally I use the older 2.2 recovery and that is Power + Vol up/Vol down + focus, once you have it rooted you can just use Quickboot or something to get into it but for now you have to do the key-combo thing and it can be quite tricky, you have done it wrong and that is why it is in "usb download mode", yes remove the battery and try it again. It will work if you do it right, assuming you have the recovery on there.

I think Usb download mode is volume up + camera + power, what you have probably done is press too hard on the shutter button, you need to just press it half-way (ie. focus).

Well I removed the battery and now it seems to be working again:

When I use Vol+, FULL camera and on, it boots into SD download mode.

When I use Vol+, FOCUS camera and on, it just boots normally, no CWM.

Does it do the SD download mode thing stock (ie. before you put CWM on it) -- or is that a sign that CWM has worked?

Should I re-use the install_recovery.cmd file? Or try a previous version? (if you think I should do this, could you give a link please) or will that only work with older versions of android?

Thanks again

Guest stonebear

Well I removed the battery and now it seems to be working again:

When I use Vol+, FULL camera and on, it boots into SD download mode.

When I use Vol+, FOCUS camera and on, it just boots normally, no CWM.

Does it do the SD download mode thing stock (ie. before you put CWM on it) -- or is that a sign that CWM has worked?

Should I re-use the install_recovery.cmd file? Or try a previous version? (if you think I should do this, could you give a link please) or will that only work with older versions of android?

Thanks again

It will do the download mode thing even without recovery installed, it sounds like it isn't installed. Are you holding all the buttons down for a few seconds? They have to be held until something happens.

I would use 2.2 anyway, it works with everything I have used, stock 2.3.6 (most recent) and various mod-roms except Gingerounay and Cyanogen port.

http://vache-android.com/files/Metal/recov...overyMT-2.2.zip

That link is from post 5 of the sticky http://android.modac...r-liquidmt-v30/ Give that a quick read.

Power + Vol up/Vol down + focus

Or just try re-installing CWM. I can't really advise about that since I have never used it, but it should be the same apart from the key-combo.

Edited by stonebear

Ach, I must be doing something wrong here!

I've retried installing CWM 3, still won't boot into it (although on the computer it looks as though the installation process completed successfully).

Tried 2.2, still no joy (used the other key combo as well).

Am I doing something wrong??

1. I download the zip into my Downloads folder
  2. Unzip it to the same location
  3. Plug the phone in - USB debuggin on; SD storage off
  4. Run install_recovery.cmd - follow instructions, end by hitting enter to reboot phone
  5. Unplug phone, power off
  6. Try various death grips, no joy
Should I be using the other files in the zip, such as adb.exe, fastboot.exe etc?

Is there any way to check I have CWM on the phone other than booting into it? I haven't rooted yet so can't boot into recovery using an app...

Could it be the fact I'm using GOLauncher (or any other app for that matter?)

post-952759-0-43163900-1324912998_thumb.

Edited by 00Mark

Guest stonebear

Yea, that looks like it is installed.

The 2.2 key-combo is a tricky one, the first time I did it I was convinced it wasn't installed when it was, I tried lots of times before it worked. The CWM one looks easier though.

Basically, it should be there!

I can't think of anything except to keep holding the buttons down, basically if you are still holding them when it just boots normally you are holding them long enough (albeit it hasn't worked, lol)..

Guest stonebear

Try - "vol+,focus,power-->when phone vibrates--->release power but keep pressing vol+ and focus", If using CWM.

If using 2.2 keep trying the other method, it is tricky but will work. You have to press vol + and vol - quite hard, pressing the whole button in the middle.

Edited by stonebear